276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hotel Magnifique

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hotel Magnifique took all of the parts I loved about some of my favorite tales— the high stakes contracts, the endless rooms of magic, a setting that's both a beautiful respite and a bejeweled trap—and combined them into a new remix that I appreciated very much.

The setting and world-building are wonderful. The hotel, its rooms, the enchantments, etc., are descriptive, detailed, and a treat to read. The fictitious setting matches the dark mood of the storyline. I wanted SO much more about the hotel itself and about the rooms. So many missed opportunities to bring the setting to life. I crept inside, unnoticed in the crowd of boarders. Two of the younger girls pretended to dance with invisible partners, but every other eye was fixed on my sister, the most talented girl in the room.

The story was perhaps my favourite point. It was a really nice touch to make it grow darker because I totally didn't expect it. You have to understand that, at all times, I had TNC and Caraval in my mind for reference (maybe not the best way to read it), so everything that happened was immediately being compared in my head. When the dark stuff started happening, it really took me off guard - in a very good way. I enjoyed the mystery. I actually had a theory and was proven wrong and that made me feel good because, for a second there, I thought things would get predictable. Something I did not necessarily enjoy was the small detail about making Jani a suminaire. It felt all-too-convenient, for some reason. Of course, our main character would find out that she had this wonderful powers after being lied to for her whole life. Typical. Another thing, Des Reves's character seemed very interesting to me and I think we didn't get to see enough of it. It was like all the story had been summed up in Celeste's tale and that was it. What truly motivated Nicole? What was exactly her relationship with Alastair? Who really controlled who? Sometimes I had the feeling it was Alastair behind all of it but it seemed he also let himself be influenced by Nicole, so I never truly understood what was going on there. The alley was gone. A strange, slender building stood in its place, squeezed into the narrow space, fitting in seamlessly with the crumbling structures on either side. year old Jani is doing all she can to take care of her 13 year old sister Zosa after the death of her mother a few years ago. But even her best efforts lead to a minimally fulfilling existence. When she hears that the legendary Hotel Magnifique is going to be in town and hiring new staff, Jani decides that she will secure a job for them both there, no matter how. After all, the hotel appears just for one night in a decade and she can’t miss this chance.

The hotel wouldn’t run an advertisement if no one had a chance. Tomorrow, we’ll show them what we’ve got. When they discover how brilliant we are, we can kiss this place goodbye for good.” It was wonderful to escape into such a rich imaginative world and lose oneself in a story so compelling, I genuinely could not put it down. As dizzyingly inventive as the Hotel itself. A real imaginative tour de force The hotel is unlike you will ever know, in that each day it lands in a different place in the fantasy world that has been created by the author. The guests pay a lot of money to stay there and are treated to the most enjoyable, out-of-this-world time whilst they are there. The staff though is a different kettle of fish and not everything is as it first seems, something more sinister is at play and Jani is determined to discover the truth. A magical, teleporting hotel catering to the richest of the rich and filled with wonders unlike any the world has ever seen, the Hotel Magnifique is a mysterious wonder. It travels from city to city, taking years—sometimes decades—to return to its former destinations. It's filled with sumaires (magicians) and enchantments. Once you get inside, it's a nonstop magical thrill ride. It is run by the most powerful sumaire who ever lived: the maître. And it only has one catch: once you leave the hotel, you forget about your magical time spent inside its walls.etc. and said to give the guests such wonderful and magical experiences? That's what I was looking forward to. James on Dangerous, Hopeful Futures: Celebrating the Visionary Stories of Kelley Eskridge 6 mins ago

One of the main qualities that a fantasy book ought to have is extraordinary world-building. And this book fulfils the criterion really well. The magical details of the hotel and its various rooms, the info about how the magic is used/contained, the various magicians and their techniques – I enjoyed all of these embellishments. The use of French words/names enhanced the mystical feel of the hotel. The story is set in a fictional country named “Verdanne” and moves across Verdanne and other made-up locations. Each of the places is well-carved and distinct, adding to the fantastical feel of the book.

Emily J. Taylor has developed a beautiful idea here, and I hope she will expand upon it in the future. The hotel wouldn’t run an advertisement if no one had a chance. Tomorrow, we’ll show them what we’ve got. When they discover how brilliant we both are, we can kiss this place goodbye for good.” Did you eat supper?” I’d left her something, but with all the other girls around, food had a tendency to disappear. The writing of the illusions in this was decadent and intriguing. The mystery and world building similar to that of Christelle Dabos’ “a winters promise” (which I love!!). Despite these lovely illusions, the hotel and magic is much more dark and sinister underneath, and our MC, Jani, finds this out. Jani is the narrator of the book, and we get to see her do more than a few stupid things. I’m glad I went into the book expecting it. That made it easy to enjoy the flow rather than think too much about her actions. That said, I probably need to visit the hospital if I bite the inside of my cheek as many times to stay silent. ( Kuch zyada hi ho gaya!)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment