276°
Posted 20 hours ago

When the Adults Change, Everything Changes: Seismic shifts in school behaviour

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tony has been a teacher and school leader for over 33 years. He began teaching in Poplar East London and immediately realised he was drawn to and really enjoyed working with children who are challenging. He is fascinated by human behaviour and is constantly learning more about it. What did you learn from reading the book? What ideas/approaches/practice will you change or adopt as a result of reading this book?

WHEN THE ADULTSCHANGE - Crown House WHEN THE ADULTSCHANGE - Crown House

You can land a sanction with a hard edge or you can land a sanction with an immediate reminder of the child’s previous good behaviour. Done well, with good timing and perfect tone, there is a little magic here.” developing a whole school ethos built on kindness, empathy and understanding. Suitable for all head teachers, school leaders, teachers, NQTs and classroom assistants in any phase or context, including SEND and alternative provision settings who are looking to upgrade their own classroom management or school behaviour plan. Save your finest performance for when it has most impact: when children do the right thing. Then reward them with your enthusiasm, encouragement, humour, time and attention.” We thought we would highlight the wonderful rainbow recognition system from St John Plessington Catholic College. We love this The advertising of poor behaviour doesn’t help, but routinely advertising the behaviour that you do want does.”The main reason I took issue with this suggestion, however, was actually not the suggestion itself. It was more because I was right in my prediction that some not-so-good SLTs, particularly at struggling schools, will clutch to this and other ideas potentially to the detriment of their teachers. I know of a secondary school in Birmingham which has made ‘handshakes period 1’ a . . . wait for it . . . ‘non-negotiable.’ It would be an insult to the reader -as you’re probably a fellow educator- for me to list all the reasons why this is entirely unacceptable, so I won’t bother. While Dix does not advocate the former, I do believe that it is in the profession’s best interest for such suggestions to be expressed as exactly that: suggestions or ideas. Not saving graces.

Gallery of Awesomeness | When the Adults Change Gallery of Awesomeness | When the Adults Change

Tony now works as a trainer and consultant working with a range of providers and is still fascinated by behaviour and human relationships. He is passionate about improving opportunities and life chances for all young people. Tony has worked with Senior Teams to build behaviour policy and practice at whole school level, as well as supporting Local Authorities in their Inclusion Strategy.

The home of relational practice

It's true to say that as a whole staff we're at the beginning of our journey, but in terms of whole school impact it has already been hugely beneficial in terms of giving staff more confidence, (especially support staff), giving children a vocabulary to use for behaviour, reducing the amount of expensive time senior staff are spending dealing with incidents and enhancing the school's positive ethos. Exclusion and withdrawal don’t teach the lessons we want them to learn. With the best intentions, we risk seeding our society with young people who still have no respect and no gratitude.” Restorative conversations aim to rebuild the relationship between the teacher and pupil following a misbehaviour incident. Dix provides a list of possible questions to ask the pupil, (What happened? What were you thinking at the time? and others) ultimately to get them to consider the effect of their actions on others and behave appropriately in future. Dix also suggests the teacher give the pupil a glass of water during the conversation. Again, he gives a couple of examples of restorative conversations having been effective at schools he has been called into. In addition to working directly with schools, Paul has advised the Department for Education on the teachers standards, given evidence to the Education Select Committee and done extensive work with the Ministry of Justice on behaviour and restraint in youth custody. He has published five books on behaviour and assessment, in addition to over 250 articles on behaviour. Paul won a national training award in 2009 for his work in helping a school transform from failing to good in just nine months. He also chairs the board of directors of a multi-academy trust which comprises 11 special schools a role he undertakes voluntarily and leads the #BanTheBooths campaign (www.banthebooths.co.uk). The book promotes a simplified behaviour policy that reinforces clear behavior expectations that are exemplified by people, rather than just endless rules that nobody knows. It outlines how, as adults, we can shift routines and develop an appreciation for positive behavior using tactics such as -˜recognition boards' and -˜going above and beyond'.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment