276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Deanston Kentucky Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

SILVER MEDAL AWARD: Artful Dodger Whisky Collective 1978 41 Year Old; Artful Dodger Whisky Collective I'll say it again, I've always been a fan of this little 'budget' range. Some 18 yo Port Ellen for 25€, anyone? Granted, that was a long time ago… Colour: very pale white wine. Nose: paraffin and pear juice, I would say, plus lemon. Very elementary but I believe it captures the real style of the distillery. Mouth: very good, with a little toasted oak, otherwise apple crumble and again this dry paraffiny side. Finish: medium yet fat, sooty, slightly dusty and dirty but once again, that's part of the game here. Williams pear spirit. Salt and smoked salmon in the aftertaste – really. Comments: very very good and a clear BFYB whisky. The saltiness came unexpected. Great little whisky, great series.

Deanston Kentucky Cask Matured - Ratings and reviews - Whiskybase

You are responsible for all activities through your account. You are responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide to us in relation to your account, and for updating it where necessary. You are not allowed to create multiple accounts. We may terminate or temporarily suspend your account to protect you, ourselves or our partners from (suspected) identity theft or other (suspected) fraudulent (e.g. false, misleading, deceptive) activity. You have the obligation to keep your login credentials confidential. You shall not authorize any others to use or access your account. It's been a 2 year finish, so almost double-maturation, although I'm afraid no one's ever come up with a proper definition of what's a finishing vs double maturation. Colour: gold. Nose: oh, after the fresh fruits we're rather having the pastries and other fine specialties made thereof, first and foremost cassata and that thing we call 'brie au kirsch', which is not cheese at all mind you. Whiffs of warm focaccia, a touch of concrete and metal polish, walnut wine, blond pipe tobacco (I remember Amsterdamer), cherry stem tea… I find this nose awesomely complex, so far, this baby clearly stands up to the fruit bomb. With water: what a glorious sherry barrel! Looks like they've used good quality oloroso here, from a good tonneleria. Unless it came straight from a Scottish cooperage. Anyway, the nose didn't change much, it just became even more complex and with rather more citrus, and mosses… Mouth (neat): notes of eucalyptus and perhaps myrtle, a very curious earthiness, surely many walnuts, a little mustard, grapefruits, some kind of spicy cough medicine, crunching pine needles… It's very singular and most lovable. I would have believed this was ex-Madeira wood. With water: works but you have to be careful and not make it a tad too leafy and leathery. Finish: long. Herbal teas, zests, nutmeg, cinnamon… And myrtle. We've come full circle. Comments: we're extremely close to perfection. If you like dry Madeira wine… No partnership, joint venture, agency, or employment relationship is created as a result of your use of the Service. However, if you’ve found a particular article valuable, you also have the option to make a direct donation to the writer, here: buy me a dram - you’d make their day. Thank you.Sadly I haven't got any very recent Storm up my sleeves, but this one should do the job. Colour: light gold. Nose: it is extremely bready and farmy, it just reeks of ground barley, farmyard, mud and damp peat, with rather less pencil shavings and tropical fruits than in earlier batches. On the other side of the spectrum, there would be more camphor, embrocations, chalk and hessian. We're actually almost nosing a handful of fresh smoked malted barley. Mouth: pretty much the same feeling, this is almost seawater with a lot of pepper, chalk and grist. Bandages. Lemons and oak spices would make a late appearance in this very gristy malt. Finish: long, dry, salty. Brine and chilies. Comments: I used to like the Storm better, I believe the 10 keeps beating it. But it's a very fine dram. We may try some other Talisker… These top people often had pretty tight and sometimes austere young to middle-aged malts. Looks like that's the case again here… Colour: white wine. Nose: sends shivers into your spine even before you have a single drop in your mouth, but that's not obligatorily a bad thing mind you. Bags of green lemons – tarter than lime – cider apples and starfruits covered with custard and a curious yet awesome herbal combo where I'm finding chives, mint and even a little garlic. Seriously, that's lovely. With water: yellow peaches and muesli, with bits of tangerines. Breakfast for champions – or bagpipers. Mouth (neat): textbook fresh and citrusy malt whisky from quiet refill wood. Some white pepper, more fresh herbs, and indeed, garlic. With water: a little rounder, with awesome touches of honeydew melon and just sweets. M&S assorted fruit sherbets, a shame that those are about to disappear from our shelves post-Brexit. Well I think we shall survive that challenge. Finish: medium, soft, fruity, easy. Comments: it's funny that we would remember the old official 8 yo here, but this is much better, I think. Do you remember that OB had been, very temporarily, part of the Classic Malts range?

Deanston Virgin Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70 cl Deanston Virgin Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70 cl

This whisky is finished on virgin oak casks that are normally used to age bourbon. It gives the whisky a decent new wood influence and a little more depth of flavor and smoothens out the rougher highland character a bit. The Deanston malt distillate is fairly rough as one would expect from a highlander and not as refined as speysides. I’ve mentioned bourbon a lot here, and this isn’t like drinking that particular whiskey from our American friends with its completely different mash bill. If you try it alongside one like I’ve done, you’ll see how different they are. However, it does share a little of the wood-driven characteristics I don’t get on with so well. Other people who enjoy their virgin oak scotches and bourbons would enjoy this much more than I do. This a blended malt. In truth you never quite know as I seem to remember Cadenhead were owning the brand name 'Burnside', directly or indirectly. So in theory, they could bottle 3 years old Girvan and call it 'Burnside'. On the other hand, Burnside's also the name of Balvenie when it's sold as blended malt (you know when Dufftown's Scrabble Club comes over with teaspoons and the ladies add a drop of Glenfiddich to each cask – benevolently, I've heard). So, what is this? Colour: straw. Nose: it's got the waxy purity of natural Balvenie. Mirabelles, apricots, ashes and flints, beeswax, tin box, popcorn, fresh oak. No Rio Carnival as far as aromas are concerned, but I've always rather loved this kind of self-restraint on the nose. Provided the palate will not be all on Quaalude, naturally… Mouth: I believe the cask has been leaking, because I get some typical notes of parsley and chives, copper, some sour oak, silver spoon, bitter ale, bay leaves, walnuts… What's missing is the fruitiness, it's almost as if it oxidised, as oloroso does. The thing is, I also like this very rare profile. Finish: long, bone dry. Walnuts, mustard, copper coins. Comments: as I said, the problem is that I like this style as well. I really need to go see a doctor. Whiskybase B.V. is the Dutch private limited liability company, having its statutory seat in Rotterdam, The Netherlands and its office at Zwaanshals 530, 3035 KS Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Whiskybase B.V. is registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under no. 52072819.The ultimate award of the night, Scottish Whisky Distillery of the Year, sponsored by Bruce Stephenson Insurance Brokers, was presented to Glen Scotia Distillery in Campbeltown. Part of the Loch Lomond Group, the distillery won praise for its commitment to the community, excellent product development and high-quality standards achieved in a challenging year. They also collected a Gold Medal and a Silver Medal in two taste categories.

Deanston, Balvenie Whiskyfun February 2021 - part 1 - Deanston, Balvenie

Big thanks to Brian, Serge, and to whoever game me the mini of the 10yo Scottish Wildlife, I'm afraid I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Colour: straw. Nose: extremely similar, with similar metallic touches, the usual mirabelles, beeswax and mead, and this slightly tired sourness that you would get from a wonderful Meursault… the next morning. I have to say I enjoy these mustardy notes too, as well as all these green walnuts. Pretty un-Balvenie – but is it Balvenie? – but really very nice. Mouth: it's fresher than the Cadenhead, and certainly much more mentholated and herbal after an excessively short fruity arrival. Then all things old waxes and polishes, old bottle of mead from under the telly at grandma's, bits of cigarette tobacco… This sure is an unusual adventure, one that I like. Finish: long, dry, bitterish, on Cynar and Fernet-Branca. Rings a bell? Quite bizarrely, the aftertaste will be rather more Balvenie-nish, with a return of the ripe plums, shall we say. Comments: these two old Burnsides have been pretty sketchy, but I suppose you can't only have 1970s or 1971s. They carry many charms. Chaos Edition No 2 (50%, North Star, 2 oloroso butts and one refill hogshead oloroso finish, bottled 2020, 1500 bottles)

Recently viewed

Balblair9 yo 2011/2020 (56.3%, Whisky Is The Limit and Bar du Nord, 1st fill oloroso sherry barrel finish, cask #800129/2011, 298 bottles)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment