276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Whale

£10.105£20.21Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I loved Brendan Fraser's performance in this film. He was really, REALLY effective. The rest of the actors were...well...just good enough. Hong Chau and Sadie Sink turned in good performances, as did Samantha Morton. Ty Simpkins, though, was the least convincing performer. Oh, well. The personal relationships in the film, especially those between Charlie and Liz and Charlie and Ellie, often ring true, even if the overall context here

If the name "Darren Aronofsky" didn't appear in the credits or on the poster...you wouldn't know that he directed this...! That's good, though, I suppose. We start today with a new disc review: Stephen’s look at Tommy Wirkola’s Violent Night (2022) on Blu-ray from Universal Pictures. to play the role, which brings to mind a quote by an actor friend of mine who had been subject to "cancelling" due to a "questioned" performance of Confronting the past and all the mistakes that come with making decisions along the way is what Charlie is faced with in Darren Aronofsky's The Whale. Dealing with grief, loss, and empathy for others are the key ingredients that make The Whale swim beautifully. With a claustrophobic setting, some amazing camerawork, and the best performance of the year from the legendary Brendan Fraser, The Whale is one of the sweetest and most emotional movies of the year. Highest Recommendation! Charlie’s ex-wife Mary (Samantha Morton) appears late in the film and confronts Charlie for his apparently sudden interest in repairing a badly-damaged relationship with Ellie. Mary, of course, has also been abandoned and left to raise Ellie by herself. Morton conveys a combination of indignation, confusion, and motherly protectiveness.At least the 4:3 aspect ratio was a choice to fit the film. You can easily find articles about this and understand why Aronofsky shot the film with that aspect ratio. Unlike all the bs tv show aspect ratios garbage going on now. All these different aspect ratios to make sure television shows MADE TO BE WATCHED ON A TELEVISION no longer fit the television screen. I have not read one single post for any of the billion tv shows from a showrunner giving a reasonable explanation why their television show was shot in an aspect ratio that doesn't fit the tv. If it's a film property masquerading as a tv show, like The Mandalorian, that's one thing. But for 99% of other shows, if Game of Thrones and The Sopranos didn't need a wider frame the newest Netflix teen comedy sure doesn't.

Two words - Brendan Fraser. He was born to play Charlie and his Oscar award is extremely well deserved. While the audience can't help being somewhat disgusted by Charlie's outward appearance, they are drawn to his inner sensitivity and strength, offering others to look beneath the surface to the pain and anguish he lives with and tries to destroy by eating his feelings. Sink portrays Ellie on a single note of victimization. Angry and petulant, she accuses, shouts, storms out, insults, and makes cruel comments. This delivery renders Ellie rather obnoxious. Though it keeps sympathy on the side of Charlie, her performance becomes irritating because of its one-note histrionics. Late in the film her icy, intractable veneer gives way when she becomes able to empathize with Charlie’s pain, physical but mostly emotional. The shift is so abrupt, however, that it comes off as inauthentic. IMDb, Sony CineAlta cameras were utilized and the DI was finished at 4K. As can probably easily be made out in the screenshots I've uploaded to

Similar titles suggested by members

Ellie, whom he more or less abandoned when she was a little girl after Charlie left his ex-wife Mary (Samantha Morton) for a (male) student of his. It is another entry in the long list of "important" Hollywood films about an awkward social outcast whose personal misery is somehow supposed to be... what? Illuminating? Entertaining? Thought-provoking? At this point, it is beyond tiring to have different variations of the same character rehashed over and over again. The Whale and Otto are about as "original" as the latest Scream and American Pie films. Also today, the Cohen Media Group has set Let It Be Morning for Blu-ray and DVD release on 3/7, followed by Secret Defense on both formats on 3/14. Confronting the past and all the mistakes that come with making decisions along the way is what Charlie is faced with in Darren Aronofsky's The Whale. Dealing with grief, loss, and empathy for others are the key ingredients that make TheWhale swim beautifully. With a claustrophobic setting, some amazing camerawork, and the best performance of the year from the legendary (and now Oscar-winner) Brendan Fraser, The Whale is one of the sweetest and most emotional movies of the year.

As for the "pretentious" aspect ratio...? I was too busy watching Fraser's excellent performance to notice. his, where he responded, "As an actor, I promise to never pretend to be something I'm not again". (That's a joke, for the humor Still, the good news is: I’m excited to say that we’re adding a terrific new staff reviewer here at The Digital Bits, and I’ll have a lot more to say about that in the coming weeks. Sadie Sink in particular, help this film to elide some at times clunky and overly theatrical writing (the project began life as a play, and playwright Simpkins), a "door to door" missionary who is perhaps surprisingly (given this film's Idaho locale) not a Mormon, though semi-hilariouslyAt the 28th Critics' Choice Awards, Fraser was named Best Actor. He also got nominations for Best Actor at the 80th Golden Globe Awards, 29th Screen Actors Guild Awards, 76th British Academy Film Awards, and 95th Academy Awards. It speaks volumes about how well Brendan Fraser did in the film. Actors have been known to change their appearance dramatically for a film role. Charlize Theron ( Monster), Christian Bale ( The Machinist), Jared Leto ( Dallas Buyers Club), and Robert De Niro ( Raging Bull) come to mind. Darren Aronofsky’s The Whale, based on a play and subsequent screenplay by Samuel D. Hunter, features an amazing physical transformation of an actor into a character. accept the kind of dreary visual style Aronofsky brings to the enterprise. The longer making of supplement is also very well done. With caveats noted,

For the week of March 13th, Lionsgate Home Entertainment will release Blu-rays for Alice, Darling, The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season and The Whale. Other new releases on Blu-ray include A Man Called Otto from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment,Glorious ...

Similar titles you might also like

Description: From Darren Aronofsky comes The Whale, the story of a reclusive English teacher living with severe obesity who attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter for one last chance at redemption. Starring Brendan. Fraser and based on the acclaimed play by Samuel D. Hunter. have come off courtesy of some strict dieting. Fraser's performance, along with those of Hong Chau (also Oscar nominated for this performance) and Extras will include 2 featurettes ( People Are Amazing: Making The Whale and The Sounds of the Sea: Scoring The Whale). You can see the cover artwork above left and also below. Brendan Frazer is up for a Best Actor Oscar for his performance in this film, so we’re certainly looking forward to seeing it on disc. Ummmm…. Because it’s better, crisper, and more immersive and impressive 95% of the time, especially with new movies, or movies shot on film and preserved or restored.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment