276°
Posted 20 hours ago

This is Not America: Why Black Lives in Britain Matter

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Many people believe that Britain is divided. Whether that be geographically with a north and south divide, politically after what happened with the Brexit vote or now through the cost-of-living crisis and the economic divide it’s causing. The first section of the book is an appraisal of US race relations, which are rooted in the history of slavery. He contrasts this with Britain’s racial history, which is less confrontational and more influenced by immigration, which causes different dynamics. Yet US ideas on race are readily accepted in Britain because of the relentless consumption of US culture. Owolade’s book is a timely exploration of difficult questions. Proudly unorthodox, sometimes provocative, it has the merit of engaging even when it enrages. But surely Boakye is just describing a heartfelt view; it’s hardly insulting. At times, This Is Not America possesses a surprising tetchiness, given that its author, a battle-hardened cultural critic, has remained largely unfazed by ugly online abuse from detractors targeting him as someone, he says, “who deviates from the orthodoxy” of race conversations. If someone had been watching them from the air, they would have looked crazy, or maybe as if they were acting out some sort of complicated sexual perversion. For them, however, it was just playing to keep boredom at bay in an alco hol-free evening or, more like it, fending off any tantalizing thoughts of booze, now they were on the wagon. They didn’t talk about it much, but it seemed to them that their walks made the world go round, that their feet warmed the asphalt, as if they were helping to generate the energy that moves big cities. They didn’t keep a record of the words they wrote and soon forgot them, but perhaps an imprint remained in the memory of the streets, as if all those invisible flourishes were ribbons and knots binding the two of them together, making them inseparable. So, in the times they weren’t together, each was comforted by the idea that the other was walking round the city—at the other end of the thread—and they might link up at any moment.

This is Not America: Why Black Lives in Britain Matter by

Jordi Puntí is not only Catalonia's most important writer, but he is also one of the funniest, most perceptive writers in all of Europe. This Is Not America is a tour-de-force story collection set on both sides of the Atlantic." -- Gary Shteyngart

Could he really? Lammy is a Harvard-educated lawyer who has been an MP in London for 23 years. Floyd lived more than 6,000 kolometres away, where he battled a drug problem and spent almost one third of his adult life in jail. What did he and Lammy have in common apart from skin tone? An excellent book from a perceptive and unshowy writer... The men Puntí writes about live on the edges, but for the most part, they've put themselves there, and can't figure out how to extract themselves. They chiefly have only themselves to blame for their troubles, although most of them either don't realize it or choose not to. They're maddening characters, and Puntí regards them with sympathy, but never valorizes their usually unfortunate decisions. It's an accomplished book, filled with bone-dry humor and incisive observations about people who desperately need to connect, but have no idea how. It's also a powerful literary reminder that nostalgia and magical thinking both threaten the way we relate to one another, and to ourselves." -- NPR Brian Eno has just won the Golden Lion for music at the Venice Biennale, which obliged him to perform with an orchestra. Anyone expecting classical conformity from this boffin of sound, however, hasn’t been paying attention for the past... ★★★★☆ You see? We’d never be able to have kids, you and I,” she blurted out in a pause, with a soberness that didn’t match the happiness of the moment. “We wouldn’t even know how to swing them, let alone parent them. Imagine what a disaster we’d be.”

This Is Not America | Book by Jordi Punti | Official This Is Not America | Book by Jordi Punti | Official

Released in conjunction with Falcon in January 1985, “This Is Not America” proved a minor hit for Bowie, having the greatest popularity in Western Europe (the Dutch and Germans especially loved it). Forgotten soon afterward, “America” was revived in 2000 for a Bowie BBC appearance. With the song removed from the synthetic precision of Metheny’s arrangement and Bob Clearmountain’s mix, it took on a bit of color, with Bowie playing up the song’s dramatics. I’m ashamed to say I never listened to the lyrics properly. Let’s face it, the key lyric everyone remembers is sha-la-la-la-laaa. 😉

Grove Press An imprint of Grove Atlantic, an American independent publisher, who publish in the UK through Atlantic Books. Sometimes the invisible word was related with the street they’d started out from, or they used the game to comment on everyday matters with monosyllabic shopping-list words—“juice,” “bread,” “milk”—but there were also days when they didn’t feel like saying anything or were in a bad mood, and then they walked separately, wherever they wanted, randomly filling the city with unintelligible scribbles. It has now been a few years since the George Floyd disruption, and Owolade’s book also serves as a calm account of why Britain lost its head during that time. He’s right to unravel our complex relationship with America: here in Britain, we need to keep an eye on the reality of racism, but we must realise that class, geography, family and agency are the key factors in levelling up our society. In the final chapter, he ends by writing: What surprises him most is that the voice sounds so calm and natural, as if it’s been waiting for him. He stops and looks harder to see where it’s coming from. Then he sees two figures coming toward him.

This Is Not America Journalist as Author: Tomiwa Owolade, This Is Not America

Drawing on his personal interviews with Trump and with Russia’s President Putin, Friedman paints a detailed portrait of the new leader of the free world and explores the real risks of the Trump presidency for America and for the world. A great song. I have to say I had no idea Bowie didn’t write the music, let alone which film it accompanied & who was the director (now that I know I’m actually tempted to watch it some time). Puntí is clever without ever being saccharine, literary in choice of phrase without ever being obtuse—always a joy to read.” — New York Journal of Books The second section is more satisfying, as Owolade draws on his personal experiences and those of others to craft a nuanced, compassionate and surprisingly optimistic view of race relations in Britain.I mostly know and listen to the 2000 version. And love it. But the original production is not too bad either, I actually don’t mind for the key change to happen earlier in the song. Knowing the 2000 version first the early key change trew me off at first but over time I’ve actually became quite fond of it… 🙂 The advice had come from the US. It is just this kind of cultural cringe to the US, and the notions it exports to these shores, that sits at the heart of This Is Not America, Tomiwa Owolade’s timely intervention into the politics of identity. Owolade contends that Britain continues to cede authority to the US, especially in matters of race, and is blind to what should be obvious: we are not America. Chosen as a non-fiction highlight of 2023 in The Times, Guardian, Observer, Irish Times and New Statesman*** I digressed. Didn’t know Bowie didn’t write the music but now that I know it makes a lot of sense. It doesn’t quite sound like his musical signature, does it. But at the same time it could easily pass for his composition. This was the 80’s after all, a decade in which Bowie didn’t quite sound like Bowie. Falcon was a somber anomaly at the height of the Reagan years, when many films were refighting Vietnam (spoiler: this time, We Win), fervidly imagining Soviet or terrorist invasions of the heartland, or equating the Grenada invasion with Korea and Vietnam. Akin to the weary spymastering of John LeCarre’s Smiley novels, Falcon is a pair of jaded innocents bungling things abroad, two pawns given a few spaces of movement on the board before being swept off. Hutton’s Boyce is an idealist as well as something of a pompous fool; Penn’s Lee is a wretched user whose comeuppance at the hand of the Mexican police is awful and tragic.

This Is Not America | NewSouth Books This Is Not America | NewSouth Books

Jordi Puntí is a writer, translator, and a regular contributor to the Spanish and Catalan press. Punti is considered one of the most promising new voices of contemporary Catalan literature. In 1998, he published his first book of short stories, Pell d'armadillo that won the Serra d'Or Critics' Prize. He is also the author of the novel Lost Luggage.MyHome.ie (Opens in new window) • Top 1000 • The Gloss (Opens in new window) • Recruit Ireland (Opens in new window) • Irish Times Training (Opens in new window) This entry was posted on Monday, January 2nd, 2012 at 10:03 am and is filed under EMI Years: 1983-1990. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Behind the self-confident image of the world's most influential country we now see a nation tearing itself apart, its people angry and afraid. The United States may arguably be the world's only superpower, but its internal tensions are a symptom of suffering and deep division, a condition only exacerbated by the election of President Donald Trump. I actually haven’t seen the movie yet. I really should one of these days. Anyway, the song itself is certainly decent. It’s perhaps a tad lightweight, and perhaps just a bit too much on the smooth side. But otherwise a well-crafted, thoughtful pop tune. Nothing to complain about, really… What underpins my opposition is seeing people first as individuals, not as representatives of their race. This is not to argue that I don’t see race, or that race doesn’t matter. It is to argue that to define someone exclusively by their race is to acquiesce to the vision of racists. I will not stand by that.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment