276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Memories of Ice (Book 3 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Toc the Younger and Tool deepen their friendship while making arrows and blades from stone. When Toc sees a vision of Baaljagg's history as an Ay, Tool gives him an Imass name: Aral Fayle. Toc also witnesses Trake's death, and meets with Kilava who intends to go to Coral, not to answer Silvefox's summons, but to complete unfinished business. The rivalry between Tool and Mok intensifies when Tool sees Mok dismantle a K'ell hunter with ease. Lady Envy meets with K'rul who reveals that the warrens all feed on his blood, and that the Cripple God is poisoning him, and he needs Envy's help in bringing Toc and the Seguleh into the heart of the Pannion Seer's territory. The characters, goals, and motivations are not simple. This is a gray world. Good characters turn evil and evil characters become good, and sometimes justice is not seen. Despite this, death is usually not the final word, as characters ascend, return, or are reborn. However, most of you, if not all, are extremely excited for the journey, as was I when read this series for the first time. As well as old favourites, we have new characters too. Notably we see more of Caladan Brood, Kallor, and Anomander Rake. I loved that these characters – despite their power – did not command the story. This is a story that belongs to the mortals, and it is much better because of it.

When it comes to traditional fantasy, for me, Tolkien is unparalleled and nothing comes close to The Lord of the Rings. Middle Earth is an unique world, with rich history and various races, cultures and mysteries. And when it comes to modern fantasy, or to be more precise, modern epic/high fantasy, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen sits on an uncontested throne with Memories of Ice as its crown. However, a lot of the book is spent following an army on the march, and as such many of the locations (campfires, command tents, hilltops) become quite repetitive. Erikson also seems to have suddenly acquired the desire to explain things in detail, and to recap or clarify things that have already happened. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; in fact, Gardens of the Moon would probably have benefited from this in places. But it does occasionally feel as though a huge chunk of the book is taken up with conversations between characters regarding something that we’ve just read, and it sometimes feels as though we’re having to experience some events several times before moving on. It’s as though, upon proof-reading the book, the author slotted in an “exposition inside a command tent” scene wherever he thought his characters’ motives weren’t 100% clear. We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. T’lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”..." Chapter 7: Among the various swords, the Grey ones surely do stand out. Although not as formidable as the punitive army of three hundred thousand musketeers. Yup, just three. MoI is the third book in the epic series about Malazan. It’s really epic as I haven’t read any such other series with quite long books, so many characters and many plots/subplots. Moreover things are now really starting to make sense for me when I finished MoI! :D But I’m just a silly lass so don’t mind these words. You may feel different about the book :)Kallor's voice boomed. 'Anomander Rake! I seek your clearest vision-I seek the justice of your sword-allow none to sway you with sentiment, and that includes Korlat, who would now whisper urgent in your ear!'

Celibate Hero: Shield Anvil Itkovian is celibate and one of the major figures in the resistence of the Grey Swords, owing it to his religious vows. Hetan tries to seduce him several times, but he resists each time. Even after his sworn god, Fener, seems to have disappeared, Itkovian remains an example of this trope. Priva di pathos, come se tutta la carica e la tensione fossero esplose con il tradimento avvenuto prima della battaglia, la morte eccellente che ha fermato il tempo sia nella lettura che nella storia.Chapter 22: Lost memories. The power of what once we were. Of what could have been. Beware of walking on thin ice. Truly, this series redefines the word "epic" in fantasy. Compared to this, I don't think we would consider most other fantasies as in the same category - they certainly don't have the same scope at all. This series kind of stands apart, maybe going TOO far... The sheer scale of the undertaking - the twisted, overarching plots that far transcend even this massive volume; an immense cast of characters, both immortal and mortal; a history of over 300,000 years, and characters who have lived out all of those years; myriad races, cultures, and multiple worlds - it's almost impossible to imagine that an author could actually pull this off and make it work. Yet Erikson, somehow, does. Due to the Dead: The fallen Bridgeburners are entombed in the ruins of Moon's Spawn when it is sent to die over the sea. It goes to show how much Anomander Rake and the other Tiste Andii came to respect them as comrades and friends. Demoni risalenti a epoche remote, prima dell’uomo e prima dei T’lan Imass e dei loro acerrimi nemici, i Jaghut. Maybe it IS me. Maybe it’s what Erikson does to me with his writing. It’s expressive, engaging, creative and stimulating. He has zero inhibitions in Memories of Ice. He boldly ventures forward, and makes the previous two tomes in the series seem like a launchpad for this brilliant novel. And that's a VERY good thing. He swept me along on his voyage. And is the voyage with Erikson worth it? Definitely.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment