276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Normal Women: From the Number One Bestselling Author Comes 900 Years of Women Making History

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is billed as a literary mystery, but it is absolutely not a mystery as Renata, who goes missing, is gone for about 0. A profound, strange, hilarious, dark, gross, compelling page turner that considers the ways in which women labor. Or that celebrated naturalist Charles Darwin believed not just that women were naturally inferior to men but that they'd evolve to become ever more inferior. In this post-partum affogato-obsessed novel, Hogarth explores stay at home moms, sex work, and hating men. But that energy is what is going to make people love this book, so if you ruin their love for the book with the ending, you ruin the book for them.

These are not normal sex workers though- they’re “healers” trying to change the world with their “crucial feminine energy” by fucking the humanity back into men. In 2020 she was made a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her services to literature and charity. One Woman Show doesn’t wholly deliver as a commentary on art’s interplay with ownership and power but it’s compulsive nevertheless – unexpectedly poignant, too.

I went into this book thinking it would be such a standout, page-turner that I would eat up, but unfortunately, it just fell quite flat for me.

Gregory places centre stage decades of scholarship in women’s history, a genre that started to become important only in the 1970s. I don't understand the sweeping criticism of this book, especially for those who enjoyed Motherthing.

Gregory highlights a pattern of woman doing something - like knitting, boxing, weaving, owning taverns, painting, - then men taking it up, excluding women by barring their access to it, then removing them from records.

They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. It’s almost like too much is going on in the book and she needed more pages to accomplish everything that she wanted to, but she got lost trying to prioritize everything, so now nothing feels like a complete thought. Hogarth probes the experience of contemporary motherhood by probing the fissures that split a young parent in two — sometimes literally, as in the case of Dani’s cesarean section — and force her into new forms. It makes explicit the connection between women's paid and unpaid labor and is a hilarious send-up to gendered expectations surrounding appearance, motherhood, and societal value.

Corvus Atlantic’s commercial fiction list which includes women’s, historical, romance, sci-fi, crime and thriller.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment