276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shimano Ultegra R8000 Medium Box Rear Derailleur

£14.975£29.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The second advantage is that the design makes it possible to mount bigger cassettes, with both the short and long cage versions. With the long cage derailleur this means that you can mount an 11-34, which will be useful on climbs. From a technical point of view it creates a bigger chainring, which allows you maintain the normal crank ratios but with a bigger cassette. The hood shape is very similar to 6800, but the rubber cover has had a pattern added for extra grip, like Dura-Ace, not that I really noticed a difference. The company unveiled the new RX derailleur with its 2019 line of products last month and we were the first to bring you official details on the derailleur as well as the new 105 groupset. We take a look at the new clutch-based derailleur, consider its future in cyclocross and offer our impressions after riding with it over 100 miles of Minnesota gravel. The New Clutch-Based Shimano RX Rear Derailleur

There are multiple cassette ratios to choose from for different terrains. For example, the cassettes ending at 25T are used more on the flat and slightly sloping roads. The 28T is used for hilly roads and the 30T, 32T and 34T for real mountain rides. The 14/28 is mainly used for cyclists who want the smallest possible transitions, for the ideal cadence. All this, of course, taking into consideration whether you ride compact, semi-compact or double. If you're fitting a new derailleur, you should definitely apply assembly grease on the screw thread of the derailleur pad. You can find our selection of assembly greases here. As part of the trip to Spring Valley, MN, I joined other journalists in racing the Almanzo 100 gravel race on an Allied Alfa All-Road bike equipped with the new Di2 Ultegra RX805 rear derailleur. By chance, I got the opportunity to experience the gravel life with both a non-clutch Dura Ace R9150 rear derailleur and the new RX805. Before you can install the new derailleur, you'll need to remove your chain. You can read about how to do that in this blog. You'll need a chain breaker, which you can find here. Some multi-tools contain a chain breaker. Make sure that you select a chain breaker for the right speed chain though - the size of the pins is different according to the speed of the chain. Some readers will likely note Shimano already has clutch mountain bike derailleurs that can be paired with electronic shifting for 1x systems. With the new Ultegra RX derailleur, Shimano expands compatibility to mechanical road shifting and suggests there is a benefit in having a clutch rear derailleur with double front chain rings when riding gravel.Updated with a Shimano Shadow RD design, the Shimano Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur offers a sleek appearance and optimised shifting performance. The Ultegra derailleur is designed with Shimano's Shadow-Link design. As a result, the derailleur is located further under the cassette, so that the derailleur is better protected and shifts faster. Even in bad conditions, this derailleur will still shift well! Particularly when I am on the big ring, and the 5 smallest gears, the transmission produces a noise which seems to come from the rear derailleur (and more precisely at the level of the top pulley, where we see the chain that seems to "vibrate" - see video). Cycle Centre Congleton Limited 2021. Cyclestore is a trading name of Cycle Centre Congleton Limited. All Rights Reserved Company No. 05107467 | VAT No: 593 733 507

On my other bike, I have an "old" Ultegra 6800 groupset which is perfectly silent. I have never had a noise problem with it in 3 years and the bike is set up the same way as the other two. The lever is carbon fibre, which is one difference over 105, and both it and the paddle behind offer very light yet precise shifts, thanks to the reduction in swing of both to change gear. Since the beginning of 2018 I've ridden the new Ultegra on loads of bikes in a range of setups including mechanical and electronic gear systems, and both rim and hydraulic disc brakes, so this has turned into a bit of a longterm test review as I've really been able to put it through its paces.Shimano has made no specific claims as to how much stiffer the new R8000 brakes are over the outgoing 6800-series model, but the latest Dura-Ace brakes are reported to be 43 percent stiffer than the previous generation, so we can likely expect similar claims here. Several members of the team rode the new Shadow RX derailleur at the 2017 Almanzo 100, but rain and temperatures that hovered around 40 degrees forced many of the team to skip the race or withdraw early. All told, only about 100 starters finished the event. Not exactly the best test conditions. Shifting is a bit noisy with the R8000. I found that correct setup will result that you can JUST change into the 11T and JUST rid in the 30T without it grinding like mad. This is because of cable tension and not affected by both H/L limit screws (as even if the H/L screws are adjusted to not touch the RD in outer positions, the cable tension keeps the RD in this tight range - at least on my bike).

You can use this kit with all mechanical 11-speed Shimano shifters. So whether you have Ultegra, 105 or Dura-Ace, this derailleur will work perfectly with the shifters.Shadow: Shadow design features a super low profile design and optimised slant angle for super light shifting action. Ultegra R8000 is best seen as an overall refresh of the venerable Ultegra 6800 groupset rather than a drastically new design — lots of small refinements make the groupset an absolute joy to use with braking and shifting that is largely indistinguishable in performance from Dura-Ace 9100.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment