276°
Posted 20 hours ago

IELLO | Animals of Baker Street | Board Game | Ages 10+ | 1 to 4 Players | 45 mins Minutes Playing Time

£9.995£19.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As I have said before, Toby, we would benefit from more leadership and a clearer set of rules, like the humans have." But this approach didn't feel interesting to us. If our characters were animals, we wanted to explore what it meant to be an animal rather than a human and how animals might perceive humans. We thought about prior examples of this approach in fiction, such as Watership Down and The Animals of Farthing Wood, and couldn’t think of any board games that adopted a similar view. I had some ideas for the overall story arc and told Clémentine the broad outline. As she was in York and I was in Cambridge, we discussed it on a call and fleshed out the details. We were both happy with the result — but that was when we realized, we had no idea exactly how we were going to work together...

The Animals of Baker Street is a pure co-op, which means you can play it on your own or with up to 4 players (as advised on the box). While there’s no technical reason not to play this with 4 players, I think the best experience is with 2. With 4 you are just spreading the action out thinner.

The trade-offs you make when you come to the decision points in the game feel intuitive. A big complaint I have in other similar style games is that you might do something that feels correct with your understanding and the context, but the game takes your choice and something totally unexpected happens. I don’t feel like that ever happened to me in this game. Good evening, My-" begins Cherrywood, but she stops as the owl regurgitates a little pile of bones and fur. Regarding the content and difficulty level, we made the decision that we were going for something that could appeal to adults as well, so we ensured that half of our playtesting was with groups comprised solely of adults (although mostly non-gamers). Part of the reasoning behind this was that some plot ideas we had were fairly dark, including violence and some disturbing ideas. We were not making a cuddly, cute world of happy animals; these were animals that ate each other.

Iello described The Animals of Baker Street as “very narrative”, with a family-friendly tone versus the more mature content of other mystery games, including various Holmes-inspired titles. The game is recommended for ages 10 and up. Clémentine and I would spend a lot time wandering the city, walking, talking and devising mysteries I found the stories truly interesting, and there are a bunch of cool reveals, including some moments where special story specific mechanics were introduced. The ‘game engine’ is really flexible and so it feels much more free form than other similar style games. Opening the box I was impressed with the simple cardboard insert – it gives a nice presentation to the game and leads you into the simple and functional design of all the other components.A little bit of metagaming possible, and it’s hard to avoid really. In later plays we would sometimes find ourselves eyeballing the magnifying glass positions on a new card to see if it might match some items we got. Thankfully this is harder to (innocently) do with the characters as their magnifying glasses are usually hidden. Players will work their way through the game gathering clues and information, eventually coming to a climax where some combination of items, information and action will ‘solve the case’ and render a victory. Sorry if that description is a bit vague, but I don’t want to spoil any of the cases! Which location will we visit next? What do I think?

Players can choose between a menagerie of animal characters, including Clay the frog, Briar the bird, Cherry the mouse and Calabash the tarantula, named after Holmes’ signature pipe. Not directly playable, Toby instead serves as a tutor for the characters, offering assistance by suggesting hints for each case. The room is full of things that are strange but that humans like (including a cat): dying flowers in glass prisons, books, broken trees shaped as chairs and drawers.Gameplay is designed to be light, driving six narrative scenarios (plus a tutorial) written in collaboration with children’s author Clémentine Beauvais, whose book Piglettes won French young adult fiction prize, the Prix Sorcières. Each standalone scenario will last around 45 minutes with between one and four players. Animals of Baker Street is a great narrative experience. It’s one of those games where once you’ve played it you might feel just a little bit sad that you can’t play it again, and then keep it on your shelf because maybe in several years you’ll have forgotten the details and can enjoy it again. It’s clear that it was designed to satisfy a broad target audience. Personally, I’m going to hang on to it so that I can play it with my son (now 3) in a couple of years, I think he will love it! At each location, players attempt to match lines at the top of their character’s card and any relevant items they have collected with those on the location card. If the lines match up, the player successfully collects a clue and reads the narrative text on the card. Players spend time to move between locations, and may lose time for pursuing incorrect leads. I like the game system, it works really well for this highly story driven game. The narrative, while clearly aimed at children is interesting and engaging for all ages, and not predictable or formulaic either. One of our first decisions was whether to use books or cards for the text. We felt cards would be better for the target audience; because cards could be left face up to re-read at any time, note-taking would not be required.

Good evening, friends of Toby." We look around to see Mylus alight gracefully on the Roof, having just flown in from the Beyond.

About the Dice Tower

Well, Mylus," interrupts Toby. "With my detectives, we might have all we need to keep the neighborhood safe. They've really shown what they can do today!" It's worth saying a bit more about one of the design errors mentioned above: writing an entry that assumes players have been somewhere they might not have been. As a narrative board game designer, ambiguity is often your friend in that sometimes you can write an entry that makes sense even if players come to it via different paths. There is one point in The Animals of Baker Street where players might go somewhere on foot or flying, but we could have only one card and it had to cover both options. I wrote the card text in such a way that it sounds like a description of flying if you imagine that is what you are doing, but if you think you are on foot it still makes perfect sense as well. For example, I refer to a character "looking up as we pass", which nicely evokes the sense of being high above someone, but is also a phrase used when someone notices you walking down the street. Making use of this kind of ambiguity in language can be very useful as a narrative board game designer, where having multiple variants of a piece of text may not be possible due to the necessarily limited number of components. Beyond the world of humans lies the world of the animals. What would a detective mystery look like in that world? The Animals of Baker Street is a family-friendly investigation game from King of Tokyo and Bunny Kingdom publisher Iello, which revealed the upcoming board game at this year’s Essen Spiel 2021 convention in Germany. While discussing difficulty level, I'll say a few words on "losing". It can be tough to design loss conditions into narrative games because if the loss condition is that the players fail to solve the case or don't get to the end of the story, it can be very unsatisfying. To avoid that, we essentially adopted an "escape room" approach to winning and losing. You spend time tokens to visit locations, and if you run out of time before solving the case, you have technically "lost" and must read the negative event, but you then continue to play to finish the story. In the world of the game, something bad has happened because you weren't fast enough, but players will still get the satisfaction of solving the mystery and there will be a resolution.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment