276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mile High (Windy City Series Book 1)

£7.395£14.79Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I liked the bitching among the crew the best to be honest. I was expecting to like the mystery of the stalker as well as the murderer but I was really disappointed to read about both of them. I figured out the stalker pretty early. With the murderer, there wasn't enough to go on. I think Rebecca Chance wanted to add more drama and more interest by revealing that there is a murderer onboard but didn't elaborate anything. The murderer was barely mentioned few times save for an introduction. There is everything in this book. Apart from the stalker, we have a murder, romance, a lot of scandals, drama, danger, some sexy scenes (well, there is something like "mile club", no?) and some fun. It might not have been exactly this what I was expecting from this much acclaimed author, but it was enough to make me sure that I really want to read other Rebecca Chance's books. And I am also certain that you are going to find something that you'll like in "Mile High".

I am a little disappointed, because there was so much potential in this story - setting the novel on a plane was in my opinion a brilliant idea, just imagine, a ten - hour flight, you are closed on a plane with a murderer, stalker, singer, actress and other VIPs - how much can happen? Much! At least I've expected tons of action, but it was slow, too slow for my liking, and the tension was not as palpable as I'd like it to be.The head of the crew, Lucinda is having an affair with the pilot and gets jealous when the pilot starts to flirt with the new female member of the crew, Angela. Lucinda sets out to get revenge from Angela and defame her as a whore when she sees the celebrity chef being interested in Angela. For some years now, Richard Condon... has been one of our supreme entertainers, a verbal tap-dancer whose ambitions usually have been limited to bedazzlement, fantasy and dark laughter. For the moment, he has abandoned vaudeville for a more serious stage. The result is this savage novel about the corruption of modern America.... Join the passengers and crew aboard in the maiden flight of Pure Air’s LuxeLiner, Flight 111 from London to Los Angeles. It’s Mile High adventures at cruising altitude with no holds barred when it comes to passenger satisfaction and passenger shenanigans. I’d never read a Rebecca Chance novel, so when I was asked if I’d like to read and review Mile High for part of her blog tour I jumped at the chance having heard so many fabulous things about her writing and after meeting her at a book event in London. Mile High was the eighth book by the American satirist and political novelist Richard Condon, first published by Dial Press in 1969. Internationally famous at the time of its publication, primarily because of his 1959 Manchurian Candidate, Condon had begun to lose the respect of critics with the publication of his last few books and the one-time, so-called Condon Cult was mostly a thing of the past. Like his fifth book, An Infinity of Mirrors, Mile High is a consciously ambitious work, primarily concerned with the establishment of Prohibition in the United States, and Condon researched it thoroughly. The first two-thirds of the book, in fact, reads as much like a lively history of New York City gangsterism from the mid-18th century through 1930 as it does a novel.

Throw in a bit of humour to the heady plot, combine with some potent pills and you have an inflammatory mix of personalities and situations. Stevie Shay’s been a flight attendant for years. She thought she’d seen it all, but when her new job lands her on a flight working for the most egotistical and self-righteous diva in the NHL, she starts to second guess everything. Including the promise she made to never hook up with an athlete again…no matter how annoyingly tempting he may be.

Success!

Wow! I felt completely exhausted after reading Mile High. There was always something going on, and left you guessing till right towards the end as to who the stalker was. I had no idea it was going to be (oh no, you didn’t really think I was going to spoil it did you?) I'm the newest Captain of the Devils, Chicago's NBA team, and the last thing I needed this year was for Indy Ivers, my sister's best friend, to move into my apartment. She's messy, emotional, and way too tempting. I love Rebecca Chance and I always look forward to reading her books. I have read most of her work by this point.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment