276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Black Hawk Down

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was one of those who read this book after they had seen the film. I found the movie to be refreshing in its depiction of action and events, despite only knowing about those events through mini documentaries or magazine articles. American film critic Wheeler Winston Dixon also found the film's "absence of motivation and characterization" disturbing, and wrote that while American audiences might find the film to be a " paean to patriotism", other audiences might find it to be a "deliberately hostile enterprise"; nevertheless, Dixon lauded the film's "spectacular display of pyrotechnics coupled with equally adroit editing." [63] This book could make a great movie. Almost the entire picture could take place in that police interview room. There are so many amazing characters.

It’s not about politics or anything else when you’re in combat,” he added. “You may sign up for that, but when you’re in that critical moment the only thing you’re thinking about is taking care of the people around you.”was the most serious firefight involving American troops since the Vietnam War. Eighteen American soldiers were killed, and more than 70 wounded, in 15 hours of ferocious fighting. More than 500 Somalis -- not all of them, by any means, Like other observers, Mark Bowden believes that the failed mission in Somalia has had a ''profound cautionary influence'' on American military policy. Judging from the Clinton Administration's abject responses to the genocides It’s thought several thousands Somalis were killed during the operation although the precise numbers are unclear: the area in which the majority of the fighting took place was densely populated and so casualties included large numbers of civilians as well as militia. 19 US soldiers were killed in action, with a further 73 wounded. 7. The mission was technically a success

The book was a real challenge. When I started working as a reporter, if I was writing a story and there happened to be some audio or some video or a still photograph, that was a very rare thing and I always tried to make the most of it. Bowden absolutely nails the chaos and fear and confusion of battle. This book is riveting in its detail of the "fog of war". Not a book about foreign policy, but about what the implementation of the policy entails. America is the greatest nation that ever existed, with distinct and huge technological and military advantage; however it is not invincible. What essentially amounted to a well armed gang, was able to penetrate that military might. We grossely underestimated the Somali people's will and capability and it cost lives. In my view the American military was triumphant against incredible odds, but ultimately the political establishment did not have the stomach for any further losses. This certainly was a lesson learned in light of today's environment. We are far more reluctant to commit our troops to battle or peacekeeping, relying instead on indescriminant bombing, and dissident forces to fight the battles (not necessarily a criticism). Gripping read and detailed account of the 1993 horrific operation in Mogadishu that resulted in American soldiers dead and wounded. Before reading this book, the only memory or information I had about the event were the images of two American soldiers being dragged through the streets by the Somalians- courtesy of CNN. combatants -- were killed, among more than a thousand casualties. Bowden, a reporter for The Philadelphia Inquirer, was not in Mogadishu at the time. (Neither were any other American reporters.) But his account, built on interviewsThe fallout from this engagement was far reaching as this ' incident' forced the Clinton administration to totally withdraw American troops from Somalia. The book by Bowden is a result of inspecting and studying mountains of official reports, investigation snapshots and even transcripts of communications between combat troops and conducting hundreds of exhaustive interviews with the participants from both side; this adds to the level of detailing that is placed into the narrative and it's authenticity.

In 1992, Somalia’s famine and civil war are worsening. President George H. W. Bush sends US troops to help combat the warlords who are stealing humanitarian aid in Somalia, but after a while it looks like the US is trying to occupy Somalia rather than simply providing aid. Eric Bana as SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson (based on SFC John Macejunas, SFC Norm Hooten, USMC Cpl Thanh Nguyen, and SFC Matthew Rierson) Here are the MTV Movie Awards nominations". Entertainment Weekly. April 24, 2002 . Retrieved June 16, 2022. It's been over 25 years since the battle in Mogadishu and it's 15+ years since the movie. How much has it stayed a part of your life over time?

Appelo, Tim (November 3, 2014). "Composer Hans Zimmer Talks 'Interstellar' Origin, Punk Influence on 'Dark Knight' (Exclusive Video)". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved May 29, 2018. victory. But the Habr Gidr won the war that day, and they knew it. Oct. 3 has since become a local holiday. I love the movie, but the book is even better. This was my third re-read. That's how good it is. I am a pacifist who enjoys reading about military history. I like things that scare me a little. When American soldiers were dropped by helicopter into the Bakara market right in the heart of Mogadishu, Somalia on October 3 1993 for a supposedly easy in and out abduction mission they had no idea that they were going to be part of one of the most terrible, long and sustained close-combat firefights since Vietnam war. the world capital of things-gone-completely-to-hell. It was as if the city had been ravaged by some fatal urban disease. The few paved avenues were crumbling and littered with mountains of trash, debris, and the rusted

Cohen, David S. (2008). Screen Plays: How 25 Scripts Made It to a Theater Near You—For Better or Worse. New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-0611-8919-7. Sergeant First Class Paul] Howe popped an earplug and listened…The voices were speaking Somali. They must have been half deaf like everybody else from all the explosions, and didn’t realize how loud they were talking…As three Somalis rounded the corner, one of the D-boys from across the street shone a white light on the first in line. His eyes looked wide as a racoon’s startled in a garbage can. With his rifle resting on a doorjamb, Howe placed his tritium sight post on the second man and began shooting on full automatic, sweeping his fire in a smooth motion over the third man. All three Somalis went down hard. Two of the men struggled to their feet and dragged the third man up and around the corner. Howe and the other operators let them go. They didn’t want to expose their firing positions with more muzzle flashes. Howe was disgusted again with this 5.56 ammo. When he put people down he wanted them to stay down…

9. The incident remains one of the highest profile US military interventions in Africa

All in all, this was a shitshow that should never have happened. I felt for both sides involved. Many lives were needlessly lost. That's politics for you. Books of this type often frontload a lot of information. There is a chapter or two setting the geopolitical context, and perhaps another chapter introducing us to all the men we will be following in battle. But as the book reveals, the good intentions of the US to halt the violence and warlordism in Somalia was viewed by many Somalis as interference in their sovereignty. It did not help that US forces often went through Mogadishu, the capital, as if they owned the place and displaying an almost racist contempt for the Somali people in general with their use of derogatory remarks such as "Skinnies" and "Sammies" to describe the Somalis. Turner, Megan (November 18, 2001). "War-Film "Hero" Is A Rapist". New York Post . Retrieved December 14, 2021. A convoy of vehicles is surrounded by militiamen and gets bogged down in fighting. The US troops fight for 14 hours against thousands of Somali militiamen, who are trying to kill them. Finally, the Malaysian and Pakistani forces arrive at the scene as reinforcements. But there aren’t enough seats for everyone on those vehicles so many soldiers have to run out of Mogadishu on foot while still under fire from the militia.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment