276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fitz and the fool series robin hobb 3 books collection set

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Brown, Charles N.; Contento, William G. (2010). "Hobb, Robin". The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004. Locus. Hobb knows the complicated workings of the wayward human heart, and she takes time to depict them in her tale, to tell her story sweetly, insistently, compellingly. . . . A book meant to be inhabited rather than run through.”—The Seattle Times This inevitably leads to a common question – can readers just read the books about Fitz and skip the Liveship and Rain Wilds books? The answer depends largely on what you want to get out of them. In such a long series, we are regularly offered reminders of who everyone is and what has happened to them and brief explanations are offered for new readers as well. So it is, of course, possible to read only the books narrated by Fitz and understand, broadly speaking, what is going on. In this Greatest Hits compilation, how much did I miss Nighteyes! He has always been my favourite character with the Fool. We do have bits and pieces of him, as we did in the last two volumes of the Tawny Man, and a bit more, but not enough for this reader, never enough. I can vividly remember staying up until 3am, increasingly distressed, reading through the section of this book from the moment Fitz finds the Fool’s dead body to his revival. It didn’t seem possible that there was any way to make this better – although this is fantasy, it is not the sort of fantasy where death is cheap. The only slim hope was Fitz’s death and revival at the end of Royal Assassin, and although that did not seem possible here, I was determined to read on until I knew for sure. Added to that was the horrific nature of the Fool’s death (there was flaying involved) and the awful descriptions of how Fitz found him. I could not and would not stop until it got better. Somehow, eventually, it did.

But as his Academy instruction progresses, Nevare begins to realize that the road before him is far from straight. The old aristocracy looks down on him as the son of a "new noble" and, unprepared for the political and social maneuvering of the deeply competitive school and city, the young man finds himself entangled in a web of injustice, discrimination, and foul play. Melville, Peter (2018). "Queerness and Homophobia in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogies". Extrapolation. 59 (3): 281–303. doi: 10.3828/extr.2018.17. I am very rattled. These books have meant so much to me in the past two months. I don't want to get too personal, but I'm in a stressful and difficult part of my life, and these books have been an incredible escape, a source of joy and tears, an inspiration, and a release. And this community has made me feel very welcome. Your respect for spoilers (not a single thing was spoiled for me!), your willingness to engage in conversation with a new reader and even your help in digesting the series as I went through it, greatly enhanced my experience, and I thank you guys sincerely.

Book III of the Fitz and the Fool trilogy

Now, let’s get on to the best part of the book and what truly makes this book superb, the new character, Bee. I can’t emphasize this highly enough, Bee is an incredibly well-written character and I truly love reading about her. Just from this book alone, she has become one of the best characters Hobb ever wrote and also, she has a POV! Yes, that’s right, for the first time since Assassin’s Apprentice, this is the first time in Fitz’s series that Hobb included another POV other than Fitz, and this is a brilliant decision. I’ll be honest here, Fitz is a wonderfully written character but I’m not a huge fan of him, being inside his head for the whole trilogy can be tiring and sometimes annoying. Bee’s POV provided a dynamic and nice change of pace from Fitz’s POV that the series have sorely needed for a long time; it’s also fantastic to see other people’s thoughts on Fitz from another POV rather than only from Fitz describing what other people feel about him and dialogues. And the Fitz and the Fool is Legacy. Several new generations, in Nettle and Hope. Bee and Perseverance. Lant and Shine. Bee 'inheriting' Nighteyes. The Mountain Kingdom being left to Integrity. Bee becoming the new White Prophet after the Fool. The children in Kelsingra and the Rain Wilders being able to be healed, thanks to Fitz. The liveships turning into dragons, thanks to the Fool. And the Wolf of the West, forever protecting the Seven Duchies. Forever guarding Bee. Fitz and the Fool left a better world after them. Their legacy is the opportunities they left for their world. Before things gets heated, I will proclaim my undying love for most of Hobb’s works in the paragraph below, because that appears the custom among underwhelmed, and therefore apologetic fans. Feel free to skip the next paragraph instead! This book shattered that, not by expanding the abilities themselves, but introducing a character that interacts with them in a different way. I can't say much more than this without spoiling something major, but it's an extremely satisfying way of exploring this magic system and makes me so excited to read more about in future books. My only disappointment there – and it was a big one – was that we didn’t get to experience the final transformation through Fitz’s perspective. The logic behind that decision may be that the books’ existence is technically explained through Bee writing down Fitz’s stories, with one of the most emotional moments of an emotional climax being Fitz’s re-telling to her of the very beginning of Assassin’s Apprentice, and his grandfather’s hand gripping his own. But that isn’t really an explanation – the first series was supposedly made up of Fitz’s papers that he burned, so I doubt readers would have minded suspending their disbelief to follow Fitz up to the moment of transformation. After waiting twenty years to see Fitz and the Fool (with Nighteyes) finally come together in a permanent way, it was very disappointing to see it happen through another’s eyes and not get to experience their joining as a reader. It also left Fitz and Nighteyes’ last lines of dialogue and narration rather abrupt and downbeat – the last thing Nighteyes says is, ‘That one needs little looking after’ (in reference to Bee) while the last words of Fitz’s narration we will get to read are, ‘But I could not’. As a final line, ‘we dream of carving our dragon’ was rather better.

Zutter, Natalie (October 24, 2019). " "I Have Been Incredibly Privileged to Write the Full Arc of Fitz's Story": Robin Hobb on 25 Years of Assassin's Apprentice". Tor.com. Every new Robin Hobb novel is a cause for celebration.Along with millions of her other fans, I delight in every visit to the Six Duchies, the Rain Wilds, and the Out Islands, and can’t wait to see where she’ll take me next.”—George R. R. Martin The Fitz and the Fool trilogy is the concluding subseries of the Realm of the Elderlings, a 16-book fantasy series by American author Robin Hobb. Published from 2014 to 2017, it features the protagonist FitzChivalry Farseer in his fifties, and follows his life with his wife Molly and daughter Bee Farseer. It was well-received by critics, with the Los Angeles Review of Books praising Hobb's characterization and portrayal of aging, and The Guardian positively viewing how the final book consolidated plot threads from across the series. The American writer of fantasy and science-fiction Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden has been building her profile for a number of years now. Mainly focusing on fantasy literature, she is well known for transporting readers to far off lands and realms, as she takes them on a journey of the imagination. Understanding the genre perfectly, she knows exactly how to best utilize her skills as a writer, effectively using all of the tools at her disposal, something which she has managed to fine-tune throughout the years. Known for her broad sense of scope and scale she really manages to build a true feeling of the epic in her many series and franchise, allowing the reader to really invest themselves in her stories. It is also her characters that really bring her stories to life as well, as, whilst she has scope, she is also able to keep her plots grounded in reality too, giving them an almost intimate and personal quality. Writing under the name of Robin Hobb, she has built a strong brand name for herself that’s recognized throughout the literary community at large. This has evolved over time, along with her stories as well, with her many narrative arcs retaining an enduring an timeless quality in their approach. As Bee is dragged by her sadistic captors across half the world, Fitz and the Fool, believing her dead, embark on a mission of revenge that will take them to the distant island where the Servants reside—a place the Fool once called home and later called prison. It was a hell the Fool escaped, maimed and blinded, swearing never to return.The Fitz and the Fool trilogy, and particularly Fool's Quest and Assassin's Fate kept devoting time to characters from other books set in the Six Duchies world. Though they are characters from stories I also like a lot, I was here to read about Fitz and the Fool, not them. It was a bit frustrating though it perfectly tied all loose ends. It also had a meeting between two characters that was fannishly squee worthy. Not some grand essay defending the trilogy just me saying that i absolutely love Fitz and the Fool. Hobb's writing is at it's best, the character work is amazing. Was it hard to read? Yes, not a fan of child abuse, but so rewarding to see the person Bee became. Oh i love so much, her and Fitz's relationship is my favorite. Fool's Assassin might be my favorite book in the whole Realm of the Elderlings series.

A new character appears and becomes an internal narrator too: there's not only Fitz's voice but this new character's too. I accepted it, but this new character does have a lot of Fitz's faults: sometimes moping, a bit too self centred, and oh so angsty as the trilogy progresses. It grated a bit, particularly at the end of the trilogy where, I thought, it took a bit away from the emotion. I also have to admit being (as often) annoyed by Fitz about this new character as I wanted to shout to him: "How come you don't realise what that character is? Are you blind or stupid? You've known someone like that for ages!" A complex tapestry of adventure, betrayal, destiny, and unrelenting peril . . . Hobb’s expertise is evident as always.”—Publishers Weekly She writes it so well that I don't even miss all the epic dragon battles or the battles with the Forged or the battle for the kingdom on the high seas, with Skill and Wit fighting together for once. No. In this case, it's introspection and memories and trying to put all the hard crap behind him and settling into the life of his dreams. Though Fitz is haunted by the disappearance of the Fool, who did so much to shape Fitz into the man he has become, such private hurts are put aside in the business of daily life, at least until the appearance of menacing, pale-skinned strangers casts a sinister shadow over Fitz’s past . . . and his future.

Customer reviews

The book continues interplaying the narration between Fitz and Bee, with some chapters told by Fitz and some by Bee. Bee. Such an amazing character. I didn't want to hope that Molly was truly pregnant, and I think Hobb and Fitz were pretty convincing that she was delusional. I recall a plot line from That 70's Show (yes, weird thing to compare to) where Kitty thought she was pregnant but it turned out to be menopause. I thought the same thing was going on, and I felt Fitz and Nettle's suffering when they thought she was losing her mind. But then Bee was born. I had already gotten to that part when I wrote the post about Rain Wilds and I wanted to put a little footnote, saying "I get the bee in the sub logo now" :). It was pretty clear to me she was a White, from Molly's long pregnancy to Bee's slow development, and also that she was Skilled, when Fitz tried to use the Skill to examine her and she resisted. But I didn't realize she was a White because she had some of the Fool's DNA (or the equivalent in that world), I just thought that it was something that came up in some babies randomly. Nearly twenty years ago, Robin Hobb burst upon the fantasy scene with the first of her acclaimed Farseer novels, Assassin’s Apprentice, which introduced the characters of FitzChivalry Farseer and his uncanny friend the Fool. A watershed moment in modern fantasy, this novel—and those that followed—broke exciting new ground in a beloved genre. Together with George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb helped pave the way for such talented new voices as Scott Lynch, Brandon Sanderson, and Naomi Novik.

Lang and Shun are neglectful of Bee when they arrive at Withywoods. Revel and Perseverance help her and Careful prepares her for bed. In addition to writing, her interests include gardening, mushrooming, and beachcombing. She and her husband Fred have three grown children and one teenager, and three grand-children. a b Brown, Charles N.; Contento, William G. (2010). "Hobb, Robin". The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002. Locus.Fitz's internal conflicts in the Farseer trilogy–in particular, the sense of shame and trauma that result from his being Witted–have been described by scholars as an allegory for queerness. [13] [14] Fitz leads a closeted life as a Witted practitioner, largely due to his negative experiences with his guardian Burrich, whose shame for being Witted he internalizes. He later meets a like group of Witted outcasts who, akin to a queer support group, impart in him a sense of belonging and self-acceptance for his identity. In an evolution of this narrative, the Tawny Man trilogy shifts focus from Fitz's personal struggle to the larger struggle for equal rights for the Witted. [15]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment