276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Uninvited

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I gently redirected Steff, assuring her she had not been fully awake and maybe was having a waking dream. But then several months later, we were sitting in the front parlor and, from up the same stairs, we both clearly heard a little girl call out, "Mommy?" It’s been a while since I’ve read a book that inspired me to stay up later than intended to read just one more chapter; certainly one of my favorite reading discoveries this year. Dorothy Macardle was born in Dundalk, Ireland in 1889 into a wealthy brewing family, famous for their Macardle's Ale, and was raised Roman Catholic. She received her secondary education in Alexandra College, Dublin – a school under the management of the Church of Ireland – and later attended University College, Dublin. Upon graduating, she returned to teach English at Alexandra. A brother and sister, in an attempt to escape their pasts and the chaos of the city, buy a house in remote Devonshire. It turns out, however, that the house is already occupied by something beyond the human...

A romance grows between Roddy and Stella and that complicates the story; because the house had been Stella's childhood home, because the haunting of the house had its roots in a tragedy that happened then, and because whenever the Fitzgerald's saw the possibility of a resolution they also saw the possibility of harm to Stella. The essential mystery of the reason for the haunting is easily solved but the ending still does not disappoint.They find the house of their dreams. It stood alone not far from the edge of a cliff, it was uninhabited and it appeared to have been neglected for quite some time, but they saw its potential. And they saw a “for sale” sign. I liked Roddy and Pamela; I found it easy to understand who they were, where they were in life. The sibling relationship was particularly well drawn; they were a team. I've had this older hardcopy edition of The Uninvited for several years. I remember finding it at a used bookstore in Maryland and bought it solely because I remembered enjoying the 1944 movie version starring Ray Milland and Gail Russell.

The Uninvited is based on interviews with the Coombs family of western Wales, who were caught up in what has become known as the 1977 Welsh Triangle UFO Flap. Hundreds of UFO sightings were reported that year in Wales, but the Coombs' dairy farm was particularly affected, with family members seeing multiple large lights in the nighttime sky, and encountering large glowing figures described as "spacemen" in silver suits and helmets. They reported other unexplained phenomena, such as cows mysteriously vanishing and reappearing at other locations.They had thought things through; they knew that their circumstances were likely to change, that they wouldn't always want to share a home, and they had made provision for that. But the big take-away is that whether or not the Fournier manor was really haunted, you can see how our modern ghost stories are an allegory for true real estate nightmares. There is a real tragic horror behind a devastating end to the thrill and excitement of finally living the dream and owning your own home. There are very real practical and psychological issues that are involved when a home no longer feels like a home but an enemy. "The Uninvited" captures this horror perfectly, and I can say so from experience. They know that something happened in that house. They suspect that it involves Stella, the granddaughter of the man who reluctantly sold them the house, because she is drawn to them and to that room. Roddy and Pamela are full of ideas for refurbishing the house and making it into a home; and they dismiss local gossip that says that the house is haunted, and that terrified tenants had fled. They saw nothing amiss. They invite an old family retainer, Lizzie, to become their housekeeper; they enjoy the simple pleasures of life in the country; and they make plans to invite friends to stay.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment