276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Blowing the Bloody Doors Off: And Other Lessons in Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Caine looks back across his career, describing the, good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful - in what appears to be a fairly candid review of anecdotes of his life. There's something refreshingly wholesome about Caine's unpretentious attitude, even if it doesn't always make for the most thrilling reading. If you're looking for a straight-up celebrity memoir then Blowing the Bloody Doors Off isn't that book.

As such, I’d describe the book as a bonus volume of life lessons Caine’s learnt along the way, although a less generous reader might describe it as a canny publicity stunt – an attempt to get some extra mileage from those anecdotes and stories that didn’t make the cut the first or second time around. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. In episode one he gets some advice from John Wayne and also looks back on his time as an evacuee and later as a soldier on National Service.Caine knows he's been lucky, more so than others around him, whether compared to other boys from the Elephant who never got their break, or his female co-stars who had to contend with the casting couch. This has lots of stories about his life in the movies and the people he has met, but, more importantly, it has lots of little lessons for life, for anyone. The original Italian Job will always be my favourite film - and I shall never forgive what was done to those ‘pretty cars’!

Michael Caine delivers another book this time with the intention of delivering some tips to wannabee actors/actresses and to people that are good doing something. Over the six decades of his remarkable career, film legend Michael Caine has starred in some of the biggest movies of all time – and made it look easy. Still working and more beloved than ever, Caine now shares everything he’s learned-and “his fans will be rewarded, as will anyone seeking an enjoyable, inspirational read” (Library Journal).We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Obviously have never met Michael but his style of writing is just as you could imagine while sitting and having a pint. It is almost all sound sense related to positivity, organisation, setting your self up to do a good job, not having an ego and not being an ass (my wording, not his).

Now in his 85th year, Hollywood legend Michael Caine shares wisdom and stories from his remarkable career in this "engrossing" memoir that "shines with positive energy" ( Library Journal, starred review). For lord's sake, as a boy he was fostered during the war and kept in the cupboard under the stairwell, literally locked inside like a real world Harry Potter, while the family went off for weekends. I came to Blowing the Bloody Doors Off with a prejudice; Michael Caine has been one of my heroes for years due to his onscreen versatility and interviews I've watched. Some real gems that made me laugh out loud and some sound advice that's also applicable to us lesser mortals not in the film industry. The book itself focuses very much on Caine's progression through the industry, with tips for aspiring actors liberally strewn throughout.Blowing the Bloody Doors Off is something of a companion piece to his two previous volumes, and is best read as such, rather than on its own since there are enough occasions in its pages where the author explicitly refuses to repeat stories he's already treated readers to – such as how he met his wife of 45 years, Shakira . Later on in the book, Caine takes the easy way out when forced to acknowledge the scandal surrounding Woody Allen – who directed Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), the film that won Caine his first Academy Award – claiming that the allegations against Allen came as a "great and terrible shock" to him.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment