276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Half

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Class lines morph into clash lines when British aristocrats and police face off in this dead-on debut. The Other Half is a book that centres on a group of rich, entitled people doing mostly rich, entitled things. Did I, therefore, feel some satisfaction that one of them was murdered? I may be horrible but yes, yes I did... It does get better--what saved the novel for me was the banter between the three detectives, as they investigate the death of an influencer. I'm not sure I believed in Caius as a person--he seemed to be too consciously a collection of oxymoronic traits--but that might settle out, since this seems to be projected as a series.

Here comes my favourite himbo,’ said Matt, Caius’s DS. He was looking Caius up and down with some amusement. ‘What are you wearing? I was worried that I would look a bit informal I received a complimentary copy of this ARC. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. Thank you to Anchor Publishing and the author for the opportunity to read this novel. Pub. Date: November 21, 2023.I really enjoyed this book and it had so many elements I love. Personally, I could have done with a bit more of the rich people and a little less of the investigation, but that could have been related to my dislike of the male narrator. The next morning, Rupert's girlfriend Clemmie is found murdered. Her body discovered under a bush with her stiletto heels peeking out. It’s something else, isn’t it? Thanks, mate. Oh, could you please get someone from your team to bag everything in the bins?’ The misogynistic whiff--the men predators, the women victims--overwhelmed what charm that Rupert (the possible villain) might have been intended to have. I sighed every time he turned up, as he was more predictable than intriguing, and the ending left me absolutely cold. Detective, you were the one to find the body. I thought you were in France?’ asked Barry, the masked pathologist looming over the open body bag.

Hampstead Heath Constabulary have closed the park and there are officers stationed at all the exits taking statements. The dogs are going to do a sweep once forensics are done with the immediate crime scene. It’s so much easier when people get killed in their own homes.’ A perfectly modern whodunnit.’ HARLAN COBEN ‘Brilliantly compulsive . . . I could not stop reading this book.’ DENISE MINA ‘As sharp, witty and energetic as it is bitingly satirical.’ JANICE HALLETT Donna Tartt for the North London glitterati -sharp, funny writing meets tight plotting in a unique, new voice.” —Ajay Chowdhury, author of The Waiter and The Cook Another sweltering month in Charlotte, another boatload of mysteries past and present for overworked, overstressed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan.Can he see through the tangled set of relationships in which the other half live, and die, before the case is taken out of his hands? Caius and his hardworking team of DS Matt Cheung and DC Amy Noakes find themselves having to navigate their way through their boss, the grand pooh bahh, and a group of suspects from Rupert's party, all of whom naturally appear to have alibis. Helena 'Nell' Waddingham is an emotionally scarred woman who had been a close part of Rupert's circle at Oxford University, she attended his birthday party with Alex and every intention of blowing Rupert out of her life for good, leaving the celebrations early. However, matters and feelings are far more complicated, with a manipulative Rupert intent on doing whatever it takes to have her in his life, including marriage. Caius and his team sift through Clemmie's life and social media presence, an investigation that takes them through the Classics, art galleries, Auction Houses, a supposed charity 'Help for Hippos', encountering a upmarket drug operation, rape, art smuggling, and other connected murders. The detective, Caius Beauchamp was very well done, with his pretentious leanings and conspicuous consumption. I enjoyed him even when he came off as tedious. Beauchamp's DS, Matt, was also a good character. The third officer, whose name escapes me at the moment (which is a shame because she was the only woman in the group), was a good character as well. I spoke to the grand pooh-bahh, and as I had the displeasure of finding the young lady so dishevelled, I will postpone my break. It’s probably not a bad thing.’

Nell was a complex and interesting character. I didn't understand her love for Rupert, but did commend her for her loyalty and self-awareness. I also liked that she was part of the rich crowd but more relatable. I loved the setting, descriptions of the clothing and glamour, and the overall pretentiousness. The character names alone were pure gold! As many other reviewers have noted, the opening chapter of The Other Half is a slog! I almost gave up and it is unusual for me to be so disinterested in a book right away. The characters were so pompous and annoying but, more than that, it felt like the author had swallowed a thesaurus! It was a first for me to have to look up so many words in a single chapter and it was tedious! It felt gratuitous as well (triumvirate instead of trio, really???) and some of the words didn’t even seem to be used correctly (haemophilic flowers, I’m sorry, pardon?). But, as I read on, I realised that was maybe the whole point… how the “other half” live, speak, behave. Faber is set to publish an exciting new crime series from debut author Charlotte Vassell, with the first, The Other Half, coming out in January 2023. Libby Marshall, Commissioning Editor, acquired UK & Commonwealth rights to both titles from Jon Wood at RCW. MY THOUGHTS: Clever, complex, and witty, there's nothing not to love about The Other Half, including the characters. Some I loved, some I vacillated about, and others I intensely disliked.

Become a Member

though, the book is so keen to show how loathsome these people are that we never see the supposed magnetic attractiveness that keeps some of the other characters in their orbit. This is especially a problem with the central villain Rupert. If the plott requires characters to be charmed despite it all, we need the Brideshead / Secret History effect to show us why. Caius ignored his question. ‘Barry’s team have just found her bag, so hopefully we can use it to identify our Jane Doe.’ I was out for a morning run before I caught my train. Better me than a dog walker. Makes a change from Carol and her diabetic Labrador,’ Caius replied to the shrouded face. If I could describe this book I would say it gave me vibes of The Secret History meets Made in Chelsea meets Agatha Christie.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment