276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Twisted Tree: An Amazon Kindle Bestseller: 'A creepy and evocative fantasy' The Sunday Times

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The secondary characters were two dimensional, and the main character was whiny and unlikeable. She had a great amount of self loathing about her eye, and we were constantly told that she is ugly and hideous because of her injury/disability. My favourite character was Gandalf the dog by a mile! It sets in Norway, in a cabin in the woods, where the cold season arrives. It’s a story about a girl name Martha, who have an ability to tell a person through their piece of clothes. It involves ghosts, creepy creatures, and a twisted tree. There’s a little romance which honestly make the whole story even better. The fact that this is a debut novel. I know that’s not really a positive about the book itself but I feel like this author has a real point of view and it excites me that there could be more to come. We meet Martha who is desperately unhappy after an accident left her blind in one eye and with a scar on her face. A bizarre result of this accident was that she can ‘read’ people from touching their clothes. She can sense feelings and memories and see a part of them when she connects with their clothes. You write the story of you every day with your thoughts, words and deeds. You create yourself. You get to decide your story. No one else. You."

This was genuinely nicely spooky. The Nordic legends were very well used and explained. The quality of the writing was very good and made for an easy read. I did like the idea of Martha being able to read fabric - that was novel and interesting. Martha with all her emotions and fears makes an excellent character. Determined to understand her strange ability, Martha sets off to visit her grandmother, Mormor – only to discover Mormor is dead, a peculiar boy is in her cabin and a terrifying creature is on the loose. We begin by meeting Martha as she travels to visit her grandmother. Martha is blind in one eye after a terrible accident involving the tree at her grandmother's house. When Martha arrives at her Grandmother's she discovers a strange boy inside and that her grandmother has died. Ah this had such a great premise! I liked the Norse mythology and the family history,I found that really interesting. I appreciated the strong female characters. I loved the atmospheric setting in a cabin by the woods in rural Norway. The story had some really creepy moments,whete you could feel the isolation, and the threat. But that was about it..

Reviews

Mormor – I just wish we had seen more of her. Without making this a spoilers review, for someone who is so key to the story I didn’t feel like I got much of an idea of who she was, her own personality and just her.

I really hope that Martha and her mum do end up moving to Norway. I think it's what's best for them and they will be able to look after the tree and fix their relationship at the same time. Another amazing book and will def become one of my favourites! I need a movie adaptation for this one! The use of the Norwegian language. The way that it became natural in the story to have so many mentions of words and phrases was so well written. I actually feel like I learned something! I just loved the strong female characters in this book. All of Martha's ancestors have looked after the tree to guard the world of the dead and stop things like the Draugr walking our earth. They have done this since Odin hung from the tree to gain wisdom from the Well of Urd. They have all been women and all of them have had the ability to read clothing, to see people's thoughts, feelings, motives and dreams. It's just such a magical concept and I love it. This was a NetGalley book that I was approved for. As with previous books, I was given a digital review copy of this in exchange for a fair and honest review.The characters are wonderfully written and have wonderfully complex layers to them. Martha with her newly found talent for "reading" clothing and struggling to come to terms with her facial deformity that seems to have led to the ability forming. Stig, running from an unhappy home life and battling with a burgeoning addiction to alcohol (judging from the amount of Brandy he seems to drink). Both of them brought together by the shared grief of losing a family member - Martha's Mormor and Stig's father. I bought this book after seeing the cover on my Facebook feed. I'm a big book cover fanatic and I just love abstract covers. This one is so beautiful and I'm so delighted to be able to say that the story matched it perfectly. This spooky, grim, story is dark and twisted with just the right amount of angst for a YA novel.

Part ghost story, part Nordic mystery – a creepy and chilling tale steeped in Norse myth, perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman and Michelle Paver’s DARK MATTER.This book is well written and well thought. Every characters, stories, the pace, the setting, and every detail are carefully weaved and knitted into one wonderful and magical story. I love this book SO MUCH! It gripped me from the very beginning and I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. Also, amongst all these amazing female characters we have Stig. I adored Stig even though by the end I had no idea if he was who he said he was or not. I want to know so much more about him. Just one of the reasons I would love a sequel. I think one of the main things I like about Stig is that he isn't your average love interest, just like Martha isn't your average heroine. He's good looking but in his own way, he takes everything that is thrown at them and even though he struggles with it, he always helps Martha and wants to protect her. He marches into a snowstorm to help her even though he is scared. That's courage. But also...I mean did he do something to Nina? If that was her ghost, did she follow him there? Why? Does she blame him? Why? I need to know!!! I also want to know what happens next between him and Martha. Can she trust him? I don't know but I want there to be a future for them somewhere.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment