276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel: 2

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As for Nichol being somewhat akin to the Hadley House, as you wrote in your post, I’m not quite sure what you mean. With each breath his nostrils froze shut and the air was like an ice pack in his sinuses, shooting pain through his forehead and making his eyes tear and freeze. When they arrive in one of the surrounding towns, the body of CC de Poitiers has been found, electrocuted. CC humiliates Crie about her weight and her clothes, but the narrative does the same, lingering over scenes of Crie's suffering and commenting constantly on her obesity. That Quebec cold, and a later snowstorm, are keys to the chill that runs through this otherwise kind of warm, cozy murder mystery filled with (mostly) likable locals.

Gamache tells Lemieux, “All the mistakes I’ve made have been because I’ve assumed something and then acted as though it was fact. It is a stretch to compare the two, but the character has captivated me enough to make Gamache my next long running detective series. I know that I started reading the galleys on the train on a Tuesday night, then continued on Wednesday morning, when we always have our editorial meetings. It’s been some time, but I was happy to find myself back in Three Pines, the idyllic little community in Quebec that is peppered with interesting characters, as well as several secrets. Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.

Second in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, in which he's back in little Three Pines, Quebec, following the murder of a despicable woman who's recently moved to town for reasons unclear to all. I don't think I could continue to read an author who would use such strong terms to describe an abused child. With a cast of recurring quirky characters who make the town bistro the center of their lives, I have a feeling I will be back in Three Pines for the long haul. Embedded in the piles is a new case, that of a homeless woman who was found murdered just before Christmas. I feel that the surface has been barely scratched in this sub-plot and I’m so curious as to how it will play out.

Something I think is very interesting is that Gamache did something in the past that ended any upward movement of his career. From the Dagger award winning author Louise Penny comes the second Armand Gamache mystery set in the stunning countryside of Quebec.He flipped through the other pages and slowly felt a smile come to his frozen face and move to his hardened heart. I’m not going to discuss the plot, other than to say that the unpleasant woman who was murdered was mourned by nobody, and her impending doom is mentioned in the first sentence.

So when she was found murdered in the middle of a curling match, it’s no surprise that the townspeople are not mourning her death; rather there is a celebratory air in the village.I remember how thrilling it was when she did win—but what I had forgotten, until Louise mentioned it recently, was that the awards banquet happened to fall on my birthday. This book sealed the deal on my deciding to continue on with the series as I was nicely surprised by the second offering. Louise Penny's writing is intricate, beautiful and compelling' PETER JAMESThere is more to solving a crime than following the clues. In book two, there's another murder to solve for Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his crew as the repulsively cruel CC De Poitiers is no more. For all the perplexing mechanics of the murder, and the snowed-in village setting, this is not the usual "cosy" or even a traditional mystery.

Are there any significant clues to be found in the video cassette of The Lion in Winter that turned up in CC’s garbage after the murder? In the case of my book club, most of the Louise Penny fans were perfectly happy with the book, while others of us were less enthusiastic.She might even have gone to her daughter’s end of term pageant at Miss Edward’s School for Girls, or ‘girths’ as CC liked to tease her expansive daughter.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment