276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jekyll and Hyde: Annotation-Friendly Edition for Schools (KS3/KS4/GCSE)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is well," replied my visitor. "Lanyon, you remember your vows: what follows is under the seal of our profession . And now, you who have so long been bound to the most narrow and material views, you who have denied the virtue of transcendental medicine, you who have derided your superiors— behold!" So you found it out, did you?" said Utterson. "But if that be so, we may step into the court and take a look at the windows. To tell you the truth, I am uneasy about poor Jekyll ; and even outside, I feel as if the presence of a friend might do him good."

This horrible revelation caused Jekyll to make a serious attempt to cast off his evil side — that is, Edward Hyde — and for some time, he sought out the companionship of his old friends. However, the Edward Hyde side of his nature kept struggling to be recognized, and one sunny day while sitting in Regent's Park, he was suddenly transformed into Edward Hyde. It was at this time that he sought the help of his friend Dr. Lanyon. He hid in a hotel and wrote a letter asking Dr. Lanyon to go to the laboratory in his house and fetch certain drugs to Lanyon's house. There, Hyde drank the potion described in Lanyon's letter. The drug caused him to change to Dr. Jekyll, while Dr. Lanyon watched the transformation in utter horror. Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde [1] is an 1886 Gothic novella by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson. It follows Gabriel John Utterson, a London-based legal practitioner who investigates a series of strange occurrences between his old friend Dr Henry Jekyll and a murderous criminal named Edward Hyde. And now," said he, "to settle what remains. Will you be wise? will you be guided? will you suffer me to take this glass in my hand and to go forth from your house without further parley? or has the greed of curiosity too much command of you? Think before you answer, for it shall be done as you decide. As you decide, you shall be left as you were before, and neither richer nor wiser, unless the sense of service rendered to a man in mortal distress may be counted as a kind of riches of the soul. Or, if you shall so prefer to choose, a new province of knowledge and new avenues to fame and power shall be laid open to you, here, in this room, upon the instant; and your sight shall be blasted by a prodigy to stagger the unbelief of Satan. " Utterson, we discover, possesses those qualities that make him the perfectly reliable literary narrator. He is intellectual, objective, and tolerant; he is also reluctant to judge and is inclined to help people rather than to condemn them. And even though he is undemonstrative, he has won the deep trust of many important friends who confide in him and appoint him the executor of their estates. Consequently, Utterson makes the very best type of narrator since he is privy to the secrets of powerful men but is also discreet enough not to violate any trust.He sprang to it, and then paused, and laid his hand upon his heart: I could hear his teeth grate with the convulsive action of his jaws; and his face was so ghastly to see that I grew alarmed both for his life and reason. ii. In no event will we be liable to you for any indirect or consequential damages, or loss of income. In particular, we accept no liability for any programs or data made or stored with the service nor for the costs of recovering or replacing such programs or data. Nothing in this Agreement limits liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or our liability to you in the event of death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or that of our employees agents or sub-contractors. 10. Third Parties

I am not surprised at that," was the reply. "Some day, Utterson, after I am dead, you may perhaps come to learn the right and wrong of this . I cannot tell you. And in the meantime, if you can sit and talk with me of other things , for God's sake, stay and do so; but if you cannot keep clear of this accursed topic, then, in God's name, go, for I cannot bear it." In Christian theology, Satan's fall from Heaven is due to his refusal to accept that he is a created being (that he has a dual nature) and is not God. [14] This idea is suggested when Hyde says to Lanyon, shortly before drinking the famous potion: "your sight shall be blasted by a prodigy to stagger the unbelief of Satan." This is because, in Christianity, pride (to consider oneself as without sin or without evil) is a sin, as it is the precursor to evil itself. [14] Stevenson suggests that “he gives a strong feeling of deformity” though he does not specify what this deformity is I incline to Cain's heresy," he used to say quaintly: "I let my brother go to the devil in his own way." In this character, it was frequently his fortune to be the last reputable acquaintance and the last good influence in the lives of down-going men . And to such as these, so long as they came about his chambers , he never marked a shade of change in his demeanour. He is described as being “austere with himself” and that he restricting his pleasures and even though he enjoys attending the theatre, he had not frequented one for twenty years, due to their somewhat poor reputation

SparkNotes—the stress-free way to a better GPA

Quite so, sir," returned Poole. "Well, when that masked thing like a monkey jumped from among the chemicals and whipped into the cabinet, it went down my spine like ice . Oh, I know it's not evidence, Mr. Utterson. I'm book-learned enough for that; but a man has his feelings, and I give you my Bible-word it was Mr. Hyde!"

The name Jekyll was borrowed from the Reverend Walter Jekyll, a friend of Stevenson and younger brother of horticulturalist and landscape designer Gertrude Jekyll. [12] Plot [ edit ]Codes are used to transfer access provisions to other users. School customers will be given Codes on printed vouchers so they can provide students with access to titles. As science was considered new and unpredictable in the Victorian period, this led to increased anxieties about it. Stevenson uses the Victorians’ fear and uncertainty of science to make Jekyll’s experiment appear more frightening to his readership. Comitini, Patricia (2012). "The Strange Case of Addiction in Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Victorian Review. 38 (1): 113–131. doi: 10.1353/vcr.2012.0052. ISSN 1923-3280. S2CID 161892546. Poole, "do you think I do not know my master after twenty years? Do you think I do not know where his head comes to in the cabinet door, where I saw him every morning of my life? No, Sir, that thing in the mask was never Dr. Jekyll —God knows what it was, but it was never Dr. Jekyll; and it is the belief of my heart that there was murder done." Wright, Daniel L. (1994). " 'The Prisonhouse of My Disposition': A Study of the Psychology of Addiction in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Studies in the Novel. 26 (3): 254–67. JSTOR 20831878– via JSTOR.

Lloyd Osbourne, Stevenson's stepson, wrote: "I don't believe that there was ever such a literary feat before as the writing of Dr Jekyll. I remember the first reading as though it were yesterday. Louis came downstairs in a fever; read nearly half the book aloud; and then, while we were still gasping, he was away again, and busy writing. I doubt if the first draft took so long as three days." [8] Berisha, Shyhrete (2022). Two Sides of the Same Coin: Understanding Homophobia in The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This brought them to the fireside, where the easy-chair was drawn cosily up, and the tea-things stood ready to the sitter's elbow, the very sugar in the cup. There were several books on a shelf; one lay beside the tea-things open, and Utterson was amazed to find it a copy of a pious work, for which Jekyll had several times expressed a great esteem, annotated, in his own hand, with startling blasphemies. I thought it looked like it," said the servant rather sulkily; and then, with another voice, " But what matters hand-of-write? " he said.

Navigation menu

Lamplit Vicious Fairy Land - Robert Louis Stevenson". Robert Louis Stevenson . Retrieved 12 November 2016. IT chanced on Sunday , when Mr. Utterson was on his usual walk with Mr. Enfield, that their way lay once again through the by-street; and that when they came in front of the door, both stopped to gaze on it . Mr. Utterson reflected; and then, raising his head, "If you will come with me in my cab," he said, "I think I can take you to his house." If you become aware of any unauthorised use of Your Account, you must notify us immediately. 5. Termination In the small hours of one morning,[...] I was awakened by cries of horror from Louis. Thinking he had a nightmare, I awakened him. He said angrily: "Why did you wake me? I was dreaming a fine bogey tale." I had awakened him at the first transformation scene. [8]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment