276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Rubie's Official DC Comics Suicide Squad Harley Quinn, Ladies Fancy Dress Halloween Villain Costume

£14.05£28.10Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hi Puddin' — we've got a few questions for ya. Do you love certified nutsos? Yep. Can't get enough of a badass antiheroine with a real taste for vengeance? Absolutely. Do you find a healthy dose of demented, complex by-play both alarming, charming, and too good to be totally bad?

In an interview with Insider in 2020, Birds of Prey costume designer Erin Benach explained how the movies try to elevate Harley’s costume for each film. “I asked the question in the very beginning. I said, ‘Are we just continuing on with ‘Suicide Squad’s look?’ The answer was, ‘No, we’re creating a different Gotham,'” she said. “We just kind of were like, ‘No, we’re creating something different and new.’ It’s an offshoot.” She continued, “We wanted to have fun and I was given the reins to have fun. So we went for it.” Few fictional characters have gone through a style revolution quite as dramatic as Harley Quinn's. First introduced during a 1992 episode of Batman: The Animated Series, the Joker's girlfriend soon began to appear in comic books and video games, and as her character evolved, so did her trademark look. By the time Harley Quinn made her live-action cinematic debut in 2016's Suicide Squad, she was one of the most popular anti-heroes in the DC Extended Universe... and Harley Quinn Halloween costumes have been everywhere ever since. And if you're looking to wear a DIY Harley Quinn costume this year, then we have plenty of ideas to get you started. Dressing as Harley is the perfect Halloween costume for women who are heading out solo, but since she has so many different looks, you can easily find inspiration for a best friend ensemble or group getup. And, of course, if you have someone special in your life, then you can recruit them to dress up as the Joker for a fun couples costume. Unlike other comic book movies that have steered away from the source material for its costumes, Makovsky referenced the original DC Comics extensively for certain characters per Gunn’s request, like for Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Peacemaker and others. In Birds of Prey, costume designer Erin Benach - who had previously designed costumes for Drive - reacted to the criticism of Suicide Squad and attempted to course-correct Harley Quinn's costumes. Trading the dark and jaded aesthetic of Suicide Squad for a much brighter one, the Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey wears more fun, colorful and practical clothes, while deviating even further from her origins in the comics. With costumes that reference the electric whimsy of Jeremy Scott, creative director of the luxury brand Moschino, Benach's version of Harley Quinn prefers playful and utilitarian clothing, but not her circus-inspired roots.Like any comic book character, there are many versions of Harley Quinn. One of them presents her as a folk singer in a duo with Poison Ivy, with Lex Luthor as a producer, a character from the Superman universe. The actors who played her Costumes inform who the person is,” she said. “Most actors will tell you that without costumes, the character isn’t there, so it’s a process of discovery in the fitting room to find who that character is. In every film, no matter what it is from a superhero film to a period fantasy, every garment you put on a person is important and well thought through.”

While appearing on the Shanlian on Batman podcast, Dini, a writer and producer on Batman: The Animated Series, stated that while many people love the classic Harley costume, he believes it wouldn’t have worked in Suicide Squad’s more realistic world, a.k.a. the DC Extended Universe. Dini said:I know it’s jarring to a lot of the people who love the classic Bruce Timm suit. I love it myself. But in that world [of the Suicide Squad movie], I just don’t see it happening. It’s a rougher, more street look. I think it works fine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment