276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GNARBOX 2.0 SSD (256GB) - Rugged Backup Device for Your Camera

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The LaCie Copilot differentiates itself from all three of these competitors in that it connects directly with a mobile device and does not rely on a wireless connection. While some might find the addition of cables to be less desirable, it does have the benefit of providing a much more stable connection and faster and more consistent transfer speeds, as noted in a review of the device from 2018. I have no doubt that they’ll get those little things ironed out, and I’m thrilled with the product as it stands. I’ll definitely be using the GNARBOX in my day-to-day processes moving forward. In the meantime, iOS and iPadOS introduced the Files app and associated functionality which narrowed the gap between what the Gnarbox 2.0 allowed users to do and what you could do with just an external SSD, a USB hub, and an iOS device. When do Photographers's life become more & more pressed? Do we have to plan the session, manage light, shooting hundreds per day before editing it (almost) instanteneously despite resting in harsh environment?

What happened with the Samsung 'smart' fridges mentioned below, Samsung didn't even write their own software. It was written under contract by another company, and it depended on connectivity APIs from yet another company.Our actor Jake freaked out and he ran to the car and jumped on top of the car and was very scared. We had to call it a night. So that night got shut down due to wild pigs," Cody said.

One of the biggest pains I have encountered with the Gnarbox apps is the slow performance of rendering videos. Even a simple 150 MB 4K video took a while to render. After it was done, I wanted to see it in higher resolution, but I could not – there was no way to zoom into the video. Turning the app sideways didn’t do anything either, which was rather frustrating. This shows that the Gnarbox team still has quite a bit of polishing to do with the apps, which will take some time to deliver. Conclusion So, how well does the RAW processor work? Unfortunately, it is not great, not anywhere close to what you can do with many other editing tools out there, even on phones / tablets. After playing with one RAW file for a little bit, here is what I was able to achieve: First of all, the software down-sampled the original resolution from 6000×4000 to 4096×2736 pixels. Second, despite my attempts to keep highlights preserved, I clearly could not make an image that was bright enough in the foreground without blowing out the sky. Third, the resulting image contained a lot of JPEG artifacts, despite having a rather large image size of 6.2 MB.Beyond software use, the GNARBOX offers a removable battery. This allows you to have multiple batteries in the field, should you be unable to charge for a while. And we're maybe two or three hours into our shooting, and a lady drives down the road and she says, 'Hey, just to let you guys know there's a horde of wild pigs headed your way.' And we're like, what do you mean? And she drives off. Are they heading right here, right now? She didn't tell us enough. Headed your way? What does that mean? A horde? How many is that?"

I bought one, based on a chat with GNARBOX customer service. I specifically asked if it would allow me to review and delete images directly from the memory card without having to import the whole bunch, as I would into Lightroom or an iPad (which also took forever, but it was an original and very slow iPad). She told me that I “hit the nail on the head”. As it turned out, 1) my camera (Canon 6D Mark II) is too new, so while I could apply some basic edits to an image, I couldn’t save it without it being pink (they’re working on that); 2) images are only viewable vertically on the phone, which made the viewable image smaller on the phone than it was on the camera (they have that in the future development list); and, most importantly 3) they removed the ability to delete single images directly from the memory card because people could accidentally delete the entire contents of the card, so what I specifically requested and was told was a feature, was not available. The device has a lot of potential, but it’s not there yet, so I’ll be dragging my Surface around with me for the forseeable future. In the interest of fairness, there are few other options available: Gnarbox 2.0* (256gb), WD’s My Passport Wireless* (500gb) and LaCie’s DJI CoPilot* (2tb) are the closest fits. Each of them have their positives but they’re also all very expensive choices. The specifications of the camera point out that Gnarbox works with a number of different RAW file formats from different manufacturers. The list is limited to Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus cameras, but I would not be surprised if it works with other brands as well. I wondered how Gnarbox was able to bring compatibility to RAW images – after-all, RAW file demosaicing is not a simple process and it requires a proper RAW converter. Having recently received the Fuji X-H1, I thought I would give it a try. While most other software cannot properly read RAW files from the newest cameras, I wondered if Gnarbox would be able to. I put an SD card into Gnarbox with a few RAW files and opened up the SD card in my phone: I really liked the concept of the Gnarbox, but the price was simply outrageous. With SSD prices coming down fast, almost half a grand for non-replacable 256 GB seemed way too much even on the release date. For me, I have been able to transfer entire engagement sessions in under 15 minutes, which to me, is fantastic.

They thought of everything, as they used a gasket-sealed opening to ensure no water finds its way to the place where all the magic happens: the SD card reader and USB ports. I’m able to jump right into the culling process, or if someone else is driving and I’m able to cull, I can jump into the editing process right when I get home.

iPhone/iPad Hotspot Tethering means that you can connect your GNARBOX 2.0 to your iPhone or iPad’s cellular hotspot using a lightning to USB-C cable. Files can now be uploaded to Dropbox or Frame.io immediately from the field. Its well suited to last through an all-day shoot, and it can even be used as a power bank to charge your phone or other USB powered tools. Design and durability Yes you can, but I need the SD-card reader so I can just swap the Card/s and continue shooting without an iPad hanging there and the WD I wrote about above can take a hit or two without breaking and still the iPad is only less than 1TB with everything else installed.

While it is helpful to have the two LED lights, I personally would prefer some other way of providing information to the end user. Perhaps a small, low-power LCD screen would have been more helpful. Otherwise, you will have to refer to the provided “LED Indicator Meanings” table in the manual, or the manual within the app to see what’s going on with the unit. Therein lies the major issue. Without the app, while somewhat functional, the device fails to offer its promised features. Companies go out of business and products lose customer support, but not all products lose core functionality when the manufacturer vanishes. With the latest GNARBOX 2.0 software update version 2.7.0, you’ll benefit from numerous new functionalities and bug fixes, including: You can't copy files via directly to an external card/reader or to an SSD on any camera I own. My understanding is that the new SIgma FP will allow direct write to an SSD. As far as I know, current cameras all require an intelligent external device to pull the files from the camera/memory cards. The battery is rated for up to 6 hours of battery life, which is a phenomenal amount of time in regard to loading and culling.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment