276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters and mortals from ancient Greek

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

L’âge suivant fut l’âge du bronze. Ce fut une période d’une violence exceptionnelle. Zeus a finalement détruit cet âge également, au moyen d'un déluge. For centuries, the chimera has been known as a scary mythological creature made from bits of lion, goat and snake. aspect épique (pour autant que l’épopée mélange le plan divin et le plan humain) ou plus simplement artistique (le goût des belles fables, qui se retrouve chez tous les peuples, est plus manifeste encore chez les Grecs). Dixon-Kennedy, Mike. "Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend." Santa Barbara CA: ABC-CLIO, 1998. Print. Ivankovic, Milorad. "New Insights on Slavic God Volos?/Veles? From a Vedic Perspective." Studia Mythologica Slavica 22 (2019): 55–81. Print.

Puisilsprennentprogressivement une figuration plus abstraite. Ainsi trouvons nous une déesse de l'accouchement, un dieu des tempêtes, une déesse de l'amour, voire un dieu de la cuisine, soucieux du confort de ses occupants. An electrifying visual portrayal of each figure transports you directly into their wild world. Victoria Topping’s artwork is a fusion of technological and traditional techniques that combines photography, painting and cut-paper collage to perfectly express the blending of human and fantastic traits from which mythical beings are made. I don't feel like Mythologica really knows its audience. On the one hand, it's suggested that the book is marketed for middlegrade readers. That said, I don't really imagine this age group really finding any reason to want to read this story. The text is too small and crowded to hold a child's interest and, on top of all that, the artwork is far too outlandish. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.• His Introduction notes that “Greek mythology is everywhere” and remains relevant in modern society. He also states that given the difficulty of the original Greek names he has provided the most familiar names in English but also included their original names alongside. The text accompanying each entry is short and informative.

Books recommended by Rick Riordan 

His name is in everyday use when we speak of narcissistic behaviour (self-love), but so are the names of a surprising number of other gods and goddesses.

It was one of my favourite lessons, as learnt more about each topic I was more and more fascinated about the stories, the legends, the myths that surrounded each of the gods. Unfortunately, a change in high schools when we relocated from Cumbria to Norfolk meant that I wasn’t able to continue studying ancient Greece. Something that I would have liked the option to pursue. Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from ancient Greek' by Stephen P. Kershaw with illustrations by Victoria Topping is a gorgeously illustrated book featuring 50 icons from Greek mythology. I feel like sometimes I wanted more in moments, however this is a wonderful book that just captures what you need to know about about the gods of the period and would be a perfect gift for anyone fascinated in the topic, especially with such great art. Subtitled ‘an encyclopaedia of gods, monsters and mortals from ancient Greece’, this is intended as an introduction to 50 characters from Greek mythology for children ages 7-10. It was published on 3 September.I’m the end, I’m so grateful to those inspiring teachers and those magical books for letting me meet the wild and beautiful goddess Artemis and her brother Phoebus (‘Shiny’) Apollo, sail with the brave and bold Jason on his journey to capture the Golden Fleece, and wrestle with the Nemean Lion. They gave me the opportunity to read, write and teach about them, and because of them the world of Greek mythology is still very much alive, at least in my world. Orpheus, in Mythologica, illustrated by Victoria Topping Although my digital copy was in low resolution, I have seen a few examples of the artwork and it is visually stunning. Topping’s digital fusion art is bright and multilayered with echoes of modern artists and trends such as Klimt, Picasso, and Art Deco among others. It is looks very fresh and vibrant with gorgeous colours.

This is an absolutely gorgeous who's who of the Gods of Olympus and legendary characters and creatures from Greek mythology and ancient literature. Unexamenrapide de ses informations diverses peut laisser croire que ces légendes plus ou moins merveilleuses se présentent comme un tout cohérent, qui aurait été codifié et ordonné par le temps pour être facilement compréhensible pour un esprit moderne et figé une fois pour toute. A fascinating family memoir and a very personal story about terrible loss, The Missingdescribes the impact of the Holocaust on one family, which provides a relatable pathway into this overwhelming event for young readers.Sarwat Chadda’s Ash Mistry series is an excellent read, in which geeky Ash Mistry gets involved in some seriously demonic shenanigans in Varanasi. Fans of the Avatar: The Last Airbender series on Netflix might also really enjoy the mythic Avatar: the Rise of Kyoshiby F C Yee, in which servant girl Kyoshi is identified as the true Avatar. In Chris Bradford’s The Soul Hunters, the start of a thrilling new series, Genna discovers that she is a First Ascendant, a reincarnating soul from the dawn of humankind. Of course, for a more tongue-in-cheek take on a mythological adventure series, Maz Evans’ Who Let the Gods Out books are super funny with a good heart, too. For epic non-fiction on gods and goddesses

From the fearless Athena and her meddlesome ways to the brace and bold Odysseus and his remarkable journey home, the Mythologica: An encyclopaedia of gods, monsters and mortals book is the perfect introduction to 50 of the most exciting characters of ancient Greek mythology. I've read a few of these greek mythology summaries lately. The summary info is about the same here, but slightly better with the Greek names included. What makes this book stand out among the others is the art. Victoria Topping's designs are visually stunning. Comme le montre l’abondance des monuments, des œuvres d’art et toute la tradition littéraire qui va d’Homère aux travaux des mythographes modernes, la mythologie grecque est l’une des plus riches qui soient.

We chose this book for a Literary Leaf as it links beautifully to any studies on Greek Myths as part of a topic, theme or historical study of Ancient Greece. In painful times, books can be the greatest comfort": Anne Fine on how reading can help children cope with feelings of grief Listed alphabetically, each spread presents a mythological figure, their attributes, and a summary of their story, along with some additional trivia. Along with them, popular mythological stories like Pandora's box, The Odyssey, and The Trojan War and the Argonauts. are also covered. This is an amazingly illustrated book, which head shots of the major Greek gods, with all their symbolism in the illustration.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment