276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Subpod Mini Compost System. Outdoor Compost Bin & Worm Farm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Conserving Resources: Composting transforms waste into a valuable resource – nutrient-rich compost. This reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers, many of which are produced using non-renewable resources and can contribute to water pollution when overused. Similar (though not necessarily directly related) points can be made around composting. Our focus tends to be on the waste minimisation front and the benefit to climate change mitigation this may bring and important though this is, we also need to educate the public (and especially those who are stepping lightly into the composting/vermicomposting space) about the enhancement of the final product. For instance, we use static composts above ground which are rarely turned more than twice in a 16 week cycle. This ensures minimal disturbance for those creatures doing the main work – the micro-organisms like the bacteria, protozoa and fungi (this is also true of worm farms though gentle turning in the worm farm is a much needed process on a semi-regular basis). So no compost of ours is turned until at least the initial thermophillic bacterial phase is over (between 2 and 4 weeks after the build is complete) and then only to alleviate any anaerobic odour if detected. The essential turn is at around 12 weeks once the bacterial phases are complete and the compost is said to be stable. Then we add a slurry of aloe vera (silica for cell wall strength, ie, plant immunity support) and comfrey (deep rooted extra mineral boost) and allow it to proceed through the fungal phase (and one full moon for silica fixing) to full maturity. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions: By composting your food waste, you're preventing it from ending up in a landfill and producing methane. Instead, it decomposes aerobically (with oxygen), which doesn't produce methane.

Of course, I’m totally biased, but it really is a lot easier. The fact that it’s underground means the worms are able to breed and eat faster. This allows you to compost more, in a shorter amount of time. I’m not saying worm composting, ie composting without heat, doesn’t work. It does. But you are advertising a composting system where what you have is a worm composting system. Turn Regularly: Regular turning helps speed up the composting process and prevents any unpleasant smells.

Compost Underground

The type of remedy we offer will depend upon the circumstances. We will work collaboratively with you to find an outcome that you're happy with. For example we may arrange to: NB I’m delighted to have received a comment (below) from Peter at Subpod. We share many common beliefs in gardening, the need to compost and combat food waste. But I’m still to be convinced about expensive systems like this one. If the system is so simple why is there a video on … Tips for fixing overfed compost worms? If the instructions inside the lid of the bin were so easy to follow then mistakes wouldn’t happen. Of course, in life mistakes happen .. usually where systems aren’t as simple as claimed! Keep your waste covered as much as possible while you are collecting it, so the flies can’t lay eggs in it before it gets to your compost system. You can use sealed compost bins/containers in your kitchen to seal your food scraps and keep out any unwanted pests.

According to the information provided at the time of writing 16,000 Subpods have already sold. And I’ve no doubt many more will sell. It’s the sort of product that appeals to gardeners that think its going to answer all their gardening problems.Pest free is another issue I have with this product. I’ve seen a lot of feed bins on farms and in stables that claim to be pest-free. They are often made of plastic or metal and resist the rodents until they chew a hole in them. Even galvanised sheet metal succumbs to rats after a while. They just chew through it. So I’m not sure how the plastic SubPod is going to resist a rat or two! You comment about the above ground systems being more susceptible to heating. Correct, they are, simply because that’s the natural way in which composting works. Heat is created by the chemical and biological process of decomposition. Above-ground systems are more susceptible to heating and loss of moisture. This means, more oxygen gets used up and the system can slip into an anaerobic phase. Of course, you can help manage this by aerating it, keeping it moist and adding more carbon. But for some people this is a lot of effort… so they end up stopping composting completely.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment