276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Verity: The thriller that will capture your heart and blow your mind

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Verity is mainly about three people - struggling author Lowen Ashleigh, a man called Jeremy Crawford, and Jeremy's wife, Verity, who was recently left incapacitated by a car accident. Verity is a successful writer, but she is no longer able to continue her bestselling series. That's why Lowen is brought in to complete the remaining three books. To do so, she stays at the couple's house so she can go through Verity's notes.

Reading Verity was a rollercoaster ride, especially told from the perspective of Lowen. We don’t know whether what she’s experiencing is the truth, or whether things are just in her imagination. Lowen isn’t the smartest heroine, despite being a writer and successor of Verity’s series. She’s naive, instantly falls in love with Jeremy, and doesn’t question things as much as she does. Her character was believable though, as a young, struggling writer who is suddenly offered a great job and a place to stay from a handsome man. This book employs one of my favorite formats, a story within a story. I've loved pretty much every book I've come across that uses this format, and it works especially well here. The interspersing of the inner manuscript with the outer story allows us to find out what's going on at the same time that Lowen is figuring things out.

Instagram

When I found out that Hoover had published an ebook, I got it immediately. Verity is addictive. I could not put it down. It is consuming you and leaves you speechless. Never in my life have I read a book so well written and with so many plot twists that you just cannot wrap your head around it. You just do not know what the truth is in the end. Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling writer on the brink of financial ruin when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime. Jeremy Crawford, husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford, has hired Lowen to complete the remaining books in a successful series his injured wife is unable to finish. As we noted, Colleen was born in Sulphur Springs. However, the family moved soon after to Saltillo, also in Texas, and this is where they brought up Colleen. It was in 1998 that Hoover ended her high school days and graduated from Saltillo High School. Only two years later, in 2000, William Heath Hoover and Colleen married. They have been together ever since and have brought up a total of three kids, so far. Audiobook Performance Rating: 5/5 Johansson lent sophistication to Lowen’s credulity and Landon artfully portrayed Verity’s truculent manipulation. The whole book was filled with emotion and great character definition. Both narrators were great in their roles. Well done. Definitely listen to Verity! Starting with Lowen, at the beginning she appears to us as just a woman trying to live through life’s misfortunes while only really wanting to write books, and maybe find true love. She doesn’t seem like a bad person in the slightest, and despite her various self-deprecating assessments, we still get the impression she is a good person, destined to be a good and lovable heroine.

Lowen is a struggling writer who gets the opportunity of a lifetime to co-write a series with acclaimed author, Verity Crawford. When she arrives at Verity's home to do some research, she comes across a disturbing autobiography revealing the truth about all the tragic events in her life. Should Lowen let Verity's "dreamy" husband, Jeremy, know wassup? Or just sex him instead? Find out! The house doesn’t help. Colleen Hoover sets the scene with sharp attention to detail, capturing the endless estate, the eerie stillness of the lake that spans the massive house, and the gloomy hills beyond. Chills ran down my spine when Lowen said: And, like a lot of new adult romance, Lowen and Jeremy’s relationship is a case of insta-love, a trope hated by many readers, but necessary in a more plot-driven book where the couple’s relationship isn’t the center of the story. Will YOU like Verity? Lowen Ashleigh, the ghostwriter hired to complete the prolific author Verity Crawford’s work, discovers a horrifying truth – an autobiographical manuscript written by Verity, detailing her innermost thoughts and how she dealt with (and caused) the tragedies that befell the Crawford family. Now bedridden, Verity seems harmless and lost to the world, but Lowen can’t shake off the awareness that Verity is very much conscious and is hiding something more.No matter which way I look at it, it’s clear that Verity was a master at manipulating the truth. The only question that remains is: Which truth was she manipulating? Lowen decides to keep the manuscript hidden from Jeremy, knowing its contents would devastate the already grieving father. But as Lowen's feelings for Jeremy begin to intensify, she recognizes all the ways she could benefit if he were to read his wife's words. After all, no matter how devoted Jeremy is to his injured wife, a truth this horrifying would make it impossible for him to continue to love her.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this dark and disturbing journey tale, despite every single character here being messed up. Lowen Ashleigh is set free from the long tedium of her daily life when she’s employed by Jeremy Crawford to ghostwrite the remaining books in a popular series his wife, Verity, is unable to finish due to an unfortunate accident. Lowe acquiesces in the spirit of hope: that this opportunity would help her acquire some small measure of celebrity and that celebrity would be oxygen to the fire of her career. But nothing prepares Lowe for Verity’s autobiography, which she accidentally stumbles upon one day. For the horror of it. Verity’s secrets paint a different picture of what Lowen thought she knew of Verity, Jeremy, and their lives together. But sooner or later, as these things often go, the whole truth will spill, and the fraught waiting in-between would come to an end, with havoc and screaming and loss. First of all, to answer the question “is Verity a romance?”, rest assured it’s a psychological thriller through and through. Second, I would like to point out that for my personal taste, the story took a little long to get started, with the earlier chapters dedicated largely to character-building and setting descriptions. While in Verity Colleen Hoover certainly succeeded in getting me well-acquainted with the protagonist and other main players of the novel, I feel like it could have been integrated more naturally over the course of the story.

Accept the updated privacy & cookie policy

The book ends with a letter, written by present-day Verity, making us question everything, I mean everything, we read about so far. The letter makes us doubt the manuscript, Jeremy’s integrity, and even the death of a child, and we readers do NOT get the resolution we are after. Instead, we are left with disbelief and then awe at how masterfully Hoover has crafted a story so engrossing and impactful that it leaves readers dumbfounded and arguing in online forums over one question: “Which truth was she manipulating?” Me, rollerblading into my therapist’s office with heart-shaped sunglasses and a piña colada and dropping this book on the desk with a loud thud: Boy do we have much to talk about today! It’s a steady burn that has mystified Angelica Manglona, the manager at Buxton Books in Charleston, South Carolina. “The longevity is what stands out the most,” she said. “We have books that fly off the shelves when they come out – like Crying at H Mart, or The Summer I Turned Pretty – but it will generally last a week, or a month, and then sales peter out. The Colleen Hoover books keep selling.” An autobiography encouraging the reader to like the author is not a true autobiography. No one is likable from the inside out. One should only walk away from an autobiography with, at best, an uncomfortable distaste for its author. Trigger ⚠️ – intense sexual content; child abuse; As a mother, this storyline completely gutted me.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment