276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The City of Brass (Daevabad Trilogy)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hive Mind: Marids can share their feelings, thoughts, and memories with each other as though they are one entity because they are water-based creatures. Luke, I Am Your Father: Nahri gets this from Manizheh. Though it turns out she was lying. She's actually Nahri's aunt, and also tried to kill Nahri as a baby. In the end, history is written by the victors. Language: English Words: 89,094 Chapters: 38/? Comments: 2 Kudos: 4 Hits: 200 DARAYAVAHOUSH, the last descendent of the Afshins, a Daeva military caste family which served at the right hand of the Nahid Council, known as the Scourge of Qui-zi for his violent acts during the war and later revolt against Zaydi al Qahtani

The book has two perspectives, one of which is Nahri, who, at the beginning was primarily the kind of MC I love to read about. She was sharp-tongued, independent and a likeable con artist, who makes her living on the streets of Cairo by swindling nobles and also has the ability to sense illness in others and to heal some ailments. I mean, right!? Earn Your Happy Ending: Spelled out by Dara to Nahri. He dedicates himself to finding all the slave vessels scattered through the world to atone for his crimes during the trilogy and to earn himself the right to reunite with his family in the afterlife.DJINNISTANI: Daevabad’s common tongue, a merchant creole the djinn and shafit use to speak to those outside their tribe.

In Daevabad, within gilded brass walls laced with enchantments and behind the six gates of the six djinn tribes, old resentments run deep. And when Nahri decides to enter this world, her arrival threatens to ignite a war that has been simmering for centuries. Murder Water: Daevabad's lake was cursed by the Marid to rip apart anyone who so much dips a toe in. The monarchy uses it for executions. Really Gets Around: Beyond a certain point, it's easier to list which members of Muntadhir's party circuit he hasn't slept with. I felt an instant personal connection to her because, well, growing up, some kids dream of becoming a doctor or whatever but ever since I was a kid and watched some unfortunate TV show (or a movie that ruined all other dreams for me), all I'd wanted to become was a con artist. I proudly admit my childhood dream. Okay, so this is slightly hilarious but I before I read this tragedy, I wrote a pre-review of sorts gushing my heart out about how proud and honoured I was to see an #OwnVoice muslim+/middle eastern fantasy so well celebrated in the YA community (don’t get me wrong, I still am SO HAPPY to see such diversity become a more common occurrence) but LIKE AT THAT POINT I WAS WILLING TO 5 STAR IT ON THAT BASIS ONLY I DIDN’T KNOW THE PAIN AND DISAPPOINTMENT THAT WAS IN STORE FOR ME :’)

Customer reviews

But if you are not inclined to Google the world-building of your new favorite fantasy novel, the Daevabad trilogy offers a hugely entertaining story, filled with memorable characters, great twists, and an intricate setting to get lost in. Arranged Marriage: Ghassan plans to unite the Qahtanis and Nahids by marrying Muntadhir to Nahri. Both decide to be pragmatic about the situation. At the end, they happily burn their marriage contract and become Amicable Exes. The original rulers of Daevabad and descendants of Anahid, the Nahids were a family of extraordinary magical healers, hailing from the Daeva tribe.

So it goes with S.A. Chakraborty’s Daevabad trilogy. Its three books — 2017’s The City of Brass, 2019’s The Kingdom of Copper, and 2020’s The Empire of Gold — slowly but surely build out a version of our world that lives just next door to this reality. The idea of another world that can be laid atop this one is certainly not a new idea in fantasy literature, but what makes Chakraborty’s books so compelling is that the myths and legends they draw from center on Islam and stem from the Middle East.Deadly Scratch: The magical poison of zulfiqar swords is universally deadly and defeats even Nahid healing, so the Geziri fighting style emphasizes mobility and shallow slashes. At the end of Kingdom of Copper, Muntadhir is cut, but the Seal of Suleiman disables the magic before it can finish him off. The City of Brass is an American science fiction and fantasy novel written by S. A. Chakraborty. It is the first of The Daevabad Trilogy, followed by The Kingdom of Copper in 2019 and The Empire of Gold in 2020. Regional Redecoration: After freeing Daevabad, Nahri uses the full power of Suleiman's Key to move the city into the nearby mountains, restoring the marid's sacred lake to its original state. She then passes out. Nahri refuses to escape with Dara and the life she's trying to build in Daevabad, and Ali intervenes. Their battle ends with Dara threatening to kill Ali if Nahri doesn't agree to flee with him, and Nahri concedes. Ali is taken prisoner, and the three make their way to a secret boat by the lake shore. Their escape is soon interrupted by a hidden warship full of soldiers, and a massacre ensues when Nahri unintentionally unleashes Dara's slave powers and he murders nearly everyone on the ship, including Ali. Nahri manages to talk Dara down after he scourges Muntadhir, but their escape is hindered by Ali, who has been possessed by the lake marid. The marid kills Dara by severing his slave ring from his body, and King Ghassan and his soldiers retake the boat.

NASNAS: a venomous creature resembling a bisected human who prowls the deserts of Am Gezira and whose bite causes flesh to wither away. FOR MORE THAN THE FIRST HALF OF THE BOOK ITS JUST ABOUT DARA AND NAHRI ANGRY FLIRTING IN THE DESERT BYEBYEBYEBYEBYEBYEBYYou Should Have Died Instead: Jamshid says this to Ali after finding out about Muntadhir's apparent death. He doesn't accept that Muntadhir chose to take the blow, arguing that Ali failed his duty by ever allowing a situation where his brother could take a mortal wound for him. Jamshid does eventually apologiz for the outburst.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment