276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul: The heart-warming and uplifting international bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

SUNNY, the proud proprietor, who needs an ingenious plan - and fast - to keep her cafe and customers safe.

But the venture comes at a cost. Her loyal Afghan employees stand willing to help her increase business and profits to make the necessary improvements. Ahmet, Sunny's coffee house gatekeeper, is young and follows the Islamic practices that local clerics proclaim.But he's conflicted when the shy, green-eyed mountain girl arouses in him strange new feelings.His widowed mother, Halajan, hides a deep secret of her own, in conflict for him with the old religious ways. If you have made it all the way through question six and you are still nodding your head, then A Cup of Friendship is the book for you. It will be out January 25, 2011, so be patient. The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul is the heart-warming and life-affirming fiction sensation that captured the hearts of readers across the globe.

Halajan, an older Afghan woman who has lived through different political regimes and strives to be herself while respecting the laws and traditions of her present-day world Things are changing. Places like this is such a good opportunity for us to not just meet friends but also network with new like-minded people,” he said. My favourite character was probably Halajan, although I did also like Yasmina. But I really didn't believe the 'metamorphosis' of some of the characters, particalarly one who had been set in the traditional ways for so long... And finally there’s elderly den mother Halajan, whose secret new hobby is itself an act of rebellion. THE LITTLE COFFEE SHOP OF KABUL CAPTURED THE HEARTS OF READERS WORLDWIDE. NOW, THE COFFEE SHOP DOORS WELCOME YOU HOME ONE LAST TIME…

Set against the terrifying fall of Kabul in 2021, Deborah Rodriguez concludes her bestselling Little Coffee Shop trilogy with a heart-stopping story of resilience, courage and, most importantly, hope. Emotionally it was a double edged sword as the beauty of true friendship was shadowed with real fear for their lives and future. Having followed the story of American Sunny and her Kabul “family” through two previous books, I found this an especially affecting read.

But it's not all the same. While ATSS is set in the first time the Taliban took over, this book is set in recent times. YAZMINA, a young pregnant woman stolen from her remote village and now abandoned on Kabul's violent streets. Yazmin is now running a women’s refuge. Layla is at university and very political active. The Taliban are resurgent, and the Americans (and all the other western forces) are planning on leaving. Kabul is now (at least on the surface) a modern city – but how long will that last? Yes, the Taliban are making huge inroads in the countryside. But this is Kabul! Women will not allow all the freedoms that they have gained over the last 20 years to be snatched away again, so Layla believes. They will fight for their rights. It can’t happen here. Zara is a character I didn't see coming. While I do feel her whole arc feels more like it is forming the framing rather than allowing her to be an independent character, she is still a good character. This is a time when we are seeing the consequences of an arranged marriage. To a degree her arc lets us see that process, something I didn't know. Even if Rodriguez is using an extreme or old school example seeing that as a piece of culture felt important. As the blurb may indicate Zara has the worst of the endings, though there is a silver lining of a sort there. It's along the lines of Isabel from The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul. A reminder that life is messy, imperfect and can be truly ugly. This book grabbed my interest when I read a review of it in my paper...They offer discounted prices on the book they review, I went the Kindle route instead and it was still cheaper.

It does something very rare - it remains positive in the light of such horror - and it portrays Afghan society with affection and warmth. Oh yes it can – you scream at the book. It is like the horrifying feeling you have when watching programmes about German (and other) Jews in the 1930s. GET OUT NOW!!!

Pages

Yazmina now runs a pair of women’s shelters from the old cafe, and dreams of a bright future for her two young daughters. Ahmet: Didn't believe his sudden transformation. Came out of nowhere and didn't ring true. Played to the reader, not to the character. Even though it was set in the middle east and tried to incorporate the very real dangers women (and men) face the book felt like a 'soap opera' to me. The dialogue was outright corny at times and it did feel very 'westernised'and watered down so as not to be too graphic or controversial. It all changes on a dime when the Talib actually storms Kabul and starts the sequence of events that are happening to get the whole family and Sunny out. Having spent some time in Azerbaijan, I am aware of some of the elements of being a Muslim and the role of women in Muslim culture. I gained more information about Muslims in this novel.

Personally, I think that anyone from Asia or the Middle East will be able to see through the propaganda this book is. In short, the author is an American woman looking to cash in on her foreign holiday experience.Then the US troops begin to withdraw – and the women watch in horror as the Taliban advance on the capital at ferocious speed… I first came across the first story in this trilogy in my late teens/early twenties I think. I fell in love with the story and fell in love again when I read Return to the Little Coffee Shop of Kabul. I was never even aware that there was a third and final book until I stumbled upon it in the library and my gosh I’m so happy I did. CANDACE, a wealthy American who has finally left her husband for her Afghan lover, the enigmatic Wakil.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment