276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hoppers: The Cookbook from the Cult London Restaurant: Recipes, Memories and Inspiration from Sri Lankan Homes, Streets and Beyond (Hardie Grant, 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For more details, please consult the latest information provided by Royal Mail's International Incident Bulletin. Serving up the best of Sri Lankan cooking, Hoppers: The Cookbook showcases signature recipes from the cult London restaurants, while also going beyond their four walls to explore the dishes, places and people that inspired them. The almost coffee-like dark roasted spice powder, balanced with the fat from the pork belly and smoky citrus from the goraka, are a match made in heaven. To me it’s much more than a cookbook, it’s the story of Hoppers told through imagery, recipes and personal memories. We use Google Analytics to see what pages are most visited, and where in the world visitors are visiting from.

Always looking for the next excuse to visit Sri Lanka, Karan’s obsession with the tiny island country began in 2009 where he met his first Sri Lankan friends at university. Over the years Karan has written travel features and recipes on Sri Lanka and southern India for major national and international publications including The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian, National Geographic, Conde Naste Traveller, The ES Magazine, Bloomberg, The Financial Times; and appeared on Sunday Brunch, Great British Chefs, Sorted Food's YouTube channel and various food festivals across the UK. A glorious celebration of Sri Lankan food adorned with stunning photography, Hoppers takes readers on an unforgettable journey through the island’s rich culinary traditions, serving up a host of exciting recipes developed at the renowned eponymous restaurant.

Welcome to Hoppers, where the flavours, colours, aromas and sights transport you to the tropical warmth of Sri Lanka. From spicy devilled dishes to Crab Kari (curry), crunchy deep-fried Mutton Rolls, Dosas and Sambols, Kalupol Chicken and satisfyingly rich Kothu Roti, Karan Gokani explores the classics as well as new recipes developed at Hoppers restaurants. This dish of aromatic rice steamed over a rich curry is hugely popular in South Asia, with each region doing it slightly differently – be it the addition of potatoes, the variety of rice used, the spices that go into it or even the vessel it’s cooked in. It’s crucial to ensure these three elements are in perfect harmony, a balance we have gone through hundreds of trials to achieve. What a joy to have this beautiful book, so that I can jog great culinary memories, unlock the whys behind so much flavor, and savor my favorites at my own home table.

Seven years, three restaurants and countless trips to Sri Lanka later, we couldn’t be more excited to finally announce OUR DEBUT COOKBOOK is finally here! Karan's debut book, Hoppers: The Cookbook tells a personal story of the inspiration behind Hoppers and the people and places that shaped it, via recipes and stunning imagery.This collection of Sri Lankan and South Indian recipes comes from a group of three London restaurants named for one of the region’s most distinctive dishes: a bowl-shaped pancake made from fermented rice and coconut batter. Hoppers has been hailed as one of the first restaurants to make Sri Lankan food accessible in central London. In 2015, JKS Restaurants and Karan opened Hoppers, a Sri Lankan and south Indian restaurant on Frith Street, Soho.

Stunning location photography, glorious food, warmth, personality and generosity suffuse the pages of this cookbook – join the Hoppers family in a personal and vivid journey exploring and celebrating the food from this extraordinary island. While the exact history is somewhat ambiguous, the story goes that British settlers struggled with the pronunciation of appams and began referring to them as ‘hoppers’, a word that eventually stuck. Co-founder and Creative Director of Hoppers, Karan Gokani grew up in Mumbai and came to England in 2005 to study law at Cambridge. This is one of the first Sri Lankan dishes that blew my mind and made me fall in love with the cuisine.The buriani we’ve developed at Hoppers takes inspiration from some of our favourite south Indian and Sri Lankan versions but follows the more traditional method of layering and steaming par-cooked rice over a rich meat curry as opposed to boiling raw rice in the curry. Hoppers are bowl-shaped, fermented rice and coconut pancakes; crisp around the edges yet soft and fluffy in the centre. I am originally from the area some of the recipes are bang on and others have regional/cultural differences that was I not aware of.

The cookbook is a collection of our favourite restaurant recipes and stories inspired by the people we’ve met, the homes we’ve visited and the flavours we’ve tasted from the street food stalls of Jaffna’s untouched north to the fishing villages of Galle, up to the bustling heart of Colombo, across the eastern stretches of Batticaloa and Pottuvil, and everywhere in between. An amazingly intuitive recipe book, with lots of detail provided for each dish making it very easy to follow and create wonderful Sri Lankan food. Maybe more pictures of the food would be beneficial for the end products but there were a lot of pictures of the locals which was great and meaningful. Their NEW cookbook collates the most exciting recipes from across all their restaurants to bring these extraordinary flavours to your own kitchen. The Hopper originated in south India (Tamil Nadu and Kerala, to be precise) where it was known as ‘appa’ or ‘appam’.Karan is a supremely talented chef – his beautifully curated selection of recipes will enliven your senses and transport you on a journey to Sri Lanka. We are experiencing delays with deliveries to many countries, but in most cases local services have now resumed. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. Bought this for my partner who years ago visited Sri Lanka, he is always talking about the food and the great time spent staying with families rather than hotels. Love it, love it, want to cook everything, so I want to spend a week in the kitchen with Karan cooking!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment