276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Say Her Name

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There were other tiny pet peeves I had with the story that brought my rating down a little. There was a side story about her losing her job that was mostly ignored, and her husband appeared to be non-existent for most of the book. Just tiny things I think if tweaked could’ve made the book a little better and more cohesive. Opening up multiple avenues of drama just to almost ignore them was a little frustrating. I enjoyed the ending though and the hope of it all, how it rounded off quite nicely.

No la sueltes, si la tienes. No la sueltes, pensé, ése es mi consejo para todos los vivos. Aspírala, pon tu nariz en su cabello, aspírala en profundidad. Di su nombre. Siempre será su nombre, ni siquiera la muerte puede arrebatártelo. El mismo nombre tanto viva como muerta, para siempre. Needless to say, the book fulfilled it's horrific aim. I was -- and am scared. I enjoyed the story and Bobbie's spunky, shy girl personality. And that ending? Great. I recommend this to anyone who's brave enough (or at least not a scaredy cat like me).The voice of Hope, set in 1994, is reminiscent of a much older voice, replete with daddy-Os and ya digs. It is also incredibly inconsistent from one part to the next and in the ending scene, the lost 80s dialect is nonexistent. I liked the discussions it had on identity and belonging, alongside the main thrilling storyline of trying to solve the crime/mystery at it’s heart. Speaking of, every time I thought I knew where this book was going I was wrong. The twists and turns got me every single time and my predictions were completely off. A lot more sinister than I anticipated, but it made for a fun and unpredictable read.

I really like the (sort-of open) ending! I feel like when horror books (or movies) are wrapped up perfectly at the end, it makes the entire thing less creepy. Which would be good for my sleep, but y’know. Everything starts on Halloween night where a group of teenagers tell each other not-so-scary ghost stories. Sadie tells a story about an ex student at Pipers Hall (their boarding school), these days she's known as Bloody Mary, and because everyone thinks it's a stupid story she dares them to say her name five times in front of a mirror while the room is only lit by candles. Only three did it, our main character Bobbie, her best friend and roomate Naya and a handsome boy from another school, Caine. At first it's all fun but suddenly weird things are happening and Sadie goes missing and each of the three gets the same message: Five Days. I’m so happy I chose this book to bring to a close this October project, it really gave me the spooky vibe I needed for Halloween and therefore, I can say that this project was a success. Even though I enjoy books with dark and evil characters, I rarely find myself reading horror, because I don’t get easily scared so I don’t want it to be a waste of my time. And this book wasn’t scary to the point that I could cry or scream in terror, but it did a good job giving me goosebumps. I had the misfortune of being alone in my apartment those very nights I read it, and after ending it, I had a hard time falling asleep, went to take a shower to relax myself and I didn’t dare to look myself in the mirror. Yeah it was late night, the night before Halloween, but still I, not-so-easily-creeped-person, was not at my best.The plot was a well worn trope of who was related to the murder victims and why. There were Some nice twists, that should have been obvious to the protagonist if she wasn’t always crying. The obsession with crying and emotional angst took up most of the book. Ah, but then the author starts giving out descriptions about arms and evil faces emerging from reflective surfaces. I honestly screamed when I thought I saw something in my reflection (PS, it was my curly hair). Soon enough I was feeling creeped out and shaky. I had to stop for a bathroom break and had to sing Christian tunes to keep my imagination from running wild. Acabo de ver en la biblioteca de papá un libro de ella que editaron después de su muerte y no estoy tan seguro que quiera leerla, aunque sé que terminaré haciéndolo.

Bloody Mary has been scaring the shit out of me since my cousin's 10th birthday party. I refused to go into the bathroom with the older girls and chant. Eight year old Ellen Gail knew better. Of course, she also got all her underwear frozen for being a "scaredy cat." But it remains one of my favorite urban legends. Well.... I've been spoiled rotten by reading Mary: Summoning by Hillary Monahan because that duology was an exceptional take on the Bloody Mary story. This story, 'Say Her Name', was a good book. It was more of a slow burn though. There wasn't a lot of action. The story itself was a 3.75 star rating and I did like the ending. The tension build gradually and the descriptions were really graphics and I could visualise everything happening to our MC. Blood, cursed boarding school, spirits, ghosts, Halloween, dripping taps, graveyards, psychiatric hospital, asylum, crypt, nightmares… everything was present to play with my mind. Di su nombre" es un libro que te lleva por distintos sentimientos, las primeras 200 páginas podría decir que odié a su narrador. Más leía más lo odiaba. Pero, se entreveía que habría algo más. Y así fue.

I also found certain actions or internal dialogue rather repetitive (which, if done well, can really add to the story) but I didn't find that here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment