276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lord of the Rings

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A masterful story — an epic in its own way — with elements of high adventure, suspense, mystery, poetry and fantasy. Boston Herald Immagine di copertina: J.R.R. Tolkien, cover "The Return of the King", 1954, particolare rielaborato. LoTR came out when I was barely a teenager. I had never heard of the book series (except for The Hobbit) and didn't want to watch the films at first. In the end, we went to the cinema with our teacher to see the first movie and I instantly became a fan. The movie resonated with me and so many aspects showed the immense quality, including the care, skill and love in the designs for props. Since it was first published in 1954, The Lord of the Rings has been a book people have treasured. Steeped in unrivaled magic and otherworldliness, Tolkien's sweeping fantasy and epic adventure has touched the hearts of young and old alike. More than 150 million copies of its many editions have been sold around the world, and occasional collectors’ editions become prized and valuable items of publishing. Watercolour painting and pencil sketches are among the media that Lee commonly uses. [3] Film [ edit ]

Lee left his art and design course, “disenchanted”, after a year; he had been warned at school in Ruislip not to go to Ealing “because it was full of beatniks”. Now, he thinks he was too young to appreciate the sometimes outre methods of his tutors. He recalls one morning spent making paper tubes, standing them on end, pushing them over and standing them up again, to provide a photo opportunity for a photographer, who walked in a couple of hours later. It was Lord Snowdon. While everybody else was working on campaigns for Volvo, I was sitting there illustrating ancient Irish folk tales Froud, Brian; Lee, Alan (1979). David Larkin (ed.). Faeries. Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group. ISBN 9780553346343. Since they were first published, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have been two books people have treasured. Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, these works of sweeping fantasy have touched the hearts of young and old alike. Between them, nearly 150 million copies have been sold around the world. And no editions have proved more popular than the two that were illustrated by award-winning artist, Alan Lee – the Centenary edition of The Lord of the Rings and the 60th Anniversary edition of The Hobbit. A sumptuous one-volume edition of Tolkien's classic masterpiece that is fully illustrated throughout in watercolour by the acclaimed and award-winning artist, Alan Lee, and housed in a special transparent slipcase.

Customer reviews

For that year's work he won the annual World Fantasy Award, Best Artist, at the 1998 World Fantasy Convention. [17] Lee, Grant Major and Dan Hennah earned the 2004 Academy Award for Best Art Direction for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, third in the film trilogy. [19] Lee took a year out to work as a graveyard gardener, a job that bridged nature and civilisation in the way his Uxbridge childhood had, and also later fed into his Middle-earth work. “Walking through the gates of the cemetery was like stepping into a different world,” he recalls. “It was a portal to a strange realm of overgrown graves and trees.” A work of immense narrative power that can sweep the reader up and hold him enthralled for days and weeks. Nation

For his 1978 book with Brian Froud, Faeries, Lee was runner-up for the fantasy Locus Award, year's best art or illustrated book. [13] Tolkien's work has inspired him ever since he read his books at an early age. Alan Lee is also inspired by nature, myth, legends and Folklore. I had grown up with a great love of legends and fairy tales—the Celtic and Norse myths having had a particularly strong influence—so my love of Tolkien was almost pre-ordained. I didn’t immediately conceive a desire to illustrate the books, though they had a huge influence on the type of drawings I did as a student of illustration and graphic design. The first opportunity to dip into Tolkien’s work professionally came with Castles, in 1984, which was a heavily illustrated account of the role played by these impressive and often magical structures in myth, romance and literature. I included drawings of Cirith Ungol, Barad-dûr and Minas Tirith. bw): Hal Pereira, Tambi Larsen, Samuel M. Comer, Arthur Krams / (c): William Flannery, Jo Mielziner, Robert PriestleyAmong the numerous works by J. R. R. Tolkien that he has illustrated are the 1992 centenary edition of The Lord of the Rings, a 1999 edition of The Hobbit, the 2007 The Children of Húrin, the 2017 Beren and Lúthien, the 2018 The Fall of Gondolin, and the 2022 The Fall of Númenor. [2] [3] In 2000, he won the competitive, juried Spectrum Award for fantastic art in the grandmaster category. [18]

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, The Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth still it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell, by chance, into the hands of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins.Finally, I've seen that a a new edition is coming soon. This one is supposed to have illustrations from Tolkien not included in any other edition. Should I wait for this one? bw): Cedric Gibbons, Edward Carfagno, Edwin B. Willis, F. Keogh Gleason /(c): Paul Sheriff, Marcel Vertès Non si tratta di una mera riproposizione tale e quale (la sesta) della similare versione "50th Anniversary" del 2005. Naturalmente il testo base è in sostanza sempre quello allora completamente restaurato, ma diventa ancor più definitivo in virtù di un'ulteriore revisione e correzione in collaborazione con Christopher Tolkien. Sia "The Lord of the Rings" sia "A Reader's Companion", infatti, sono stati aggiornati secondo le indicazioni dell'"Addenda and Corrigenda" di Wayne G. Hammond e Christina Scull, a disposizione di chiunque per un rapido controllo perché riportate anche on-line sul loro sito ufficiale.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment