276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu Collector's Edition: 2

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The individual chapters detail different episodes of dealing with cats, from their adoption to them curling up on a bed to one escaping and being caught. It's entertaining enough for cat lovers and owners, but one obviously shouldn't expect Ito's usual creativity. It is, after all, a cat diary. Ito was smart enough to end it after 10 chapters, before the cat's antics became repetitive, and the charm of the horror-style presentation faded away. In "The Events of One Late Night," J-kun tries to bribe the cats to sleep on his bed, rather than A-ko's, to no avail. I have been successfully creeped out by horror manga-ka Ito's Uzumaki (a town driven to madness by spirals) and Museum of Terror (boys driven to madness and murder by a girl/femme fatale), so I just added this to my tbr list, and was surprised to find it is basically diary comics, the funny story of how dog person Ito got pushed into living with two cats by his wife.

Dark Is Not Evil: In spite of constantly making weird facial expressions, J-kun is perfectly nice and mild-mannered... relative to most characters in Junji Ito's oeuvre, anyways. One aspect I really enjoyed were the color photos of Ito's two real-life cats contained near the end of the manga. After seeing them, I was even more impressed by Ito's fictional depiction of them in the manga. Then again, as a cat lover myself, I know there is a little devil inside even the most innocent of cats! Happily Married: Despite the fact that J-kun wasn't keen to have a cat and A-to teases her fiancée about how he wants Yon's affections, they have healthy chemistry. It's shown they work as a team on house renovations. Yon and Mu are not only recognizable in the images of them, but also in the way Ito portrays their personalities. If you've ever had a cat who clearly felt that you co-habitated but did not own him, you will recognize Yon – the cranky, holier-than-thou attitude comes through in the stories as well as the body language. Chapter five, “ Yon is a Weird Cat,” is not only one of the funnier sections, but also captures the essence of living with a cat with a mind of his own as an over-tired and overworked Ito has a late night encounter with the feline and comes away utterly creeped out. It is made very clear over the course of the volume that there is no one “cat personality,” with Mu being far more easy going and the author's encounter with Goro, the shy formerly feral cat who lives with A-ko's parents. Lighter and Softer: In content, it's much lighter than most of his works, but in visual impact, it's only slightly less disturbing.

Interest Stacks

Is there anything spookier than a silent feline, eyes glinting, stalking you in the night…IN YOUR OWN HOME?? Master of horror Junji Ito turns his twisted eye on his own life in this comedic graphic memoir about becoming a cat owner, now reissued in a deluxe hardcover featuring an exclusive interivew with Ito and a NEW cover illustration by the author that GLOWS IN THE DARK! The perfect gift for the slightly-twisted cat lover in your life.

Price, Austin (1 November 2018). "Comic Horror: The Work of Junji Ito". The Comics Journal. Archived from the original on 28 November 2019 . Retrieved 28 November 2019. Gilligan Cut: "That accursed cat is coming to my house?! I won't accept this! I won't accept this!" Cut to J-kun building the cat tower. Cuteness Proximity: With a healthy dose of Nightmare Face. J-kun immediately falls for Mu when seeing his reaction to getting kisses. This work showcases that perfectly. While he contains nightmarish depths, this displays how undeniably human he is. it is an autobiographical tale of what happens to a dog-person when his fiancée brings her two cats into their homeJunji Ito’s Cat Diary: Yon & Mu” is a collection of strips chronicling the artist’s first experiences living with feline friends. Readers witness Ito’s anxiety over his fiancé’s desire to bring two cats into their home, which is only compounded by the ‘cat proofing’ that precedes their arrival. From there, anxiety gives way to acceptance and, eventually, a deep bond between the artist and his new companions. Cats Are Mean: Subverted. J-kun thinks cats aren't comparable to loyal dogs, and Mu even bites him a few times, but he starts to understand that cats are just different and forgives the bites. Today, we’re looking at his cat diary that he wrote when he and his wife first got married. In the manga, he dubbed over their names and called them like J-san, A-ko, Yon, Muu, etc. It actually hardly matters because the focus on the story on how he’s trying to cope living with cats, since he’s a dog person.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment