276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Adafruit FT232H Breakout - General Purpose USB to GPIO+SPI+I2C

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I chose my breakout with EFM32G200F32, an ARM Cortex-M3-based microcontroller (MCU), but any other supported MCU will work. Other FTDI usb devices I have are found by ftd2xx: however, the FT232H device from Adafruit is not found, DeviceError: DEVICE_NOT_FOUND. You should also tell OpenOCD the initial values of the FTDI GPIO data and direction registers through the ftdi_layout_init command. You should first put the initial values of the channel’s 16 pins, and then the directions. Knowing that "1" is for selecting direction as output and "0" isfor input, and each channel in ft2232H has 16 pins.

The FT232H I have seems to be unable to supply its information when using FTD2XX drivers, hence my original post to understand how I might correct this. Open On-Chip Debugger (OpenOCD) is a free, open-source project that aims to provide debugging, in-system programming, and boundary scan using a debug adapter. The adapter is a hardware module that provides the right signals for the target to understand. FTDI’s royalty-free Virtual Com Port (VCP) and Direct (D2XX) drivers eliminate the requirement for USB driver development in most cases. Remember: We have a configuration file (I named it SWD_FT.cfg) and the target is one of the EFM32 chips. What can the FT232H chip do? This chip from FTDIis similar to their USB to serial converter chips but addsa 'multi-protocol synchronous serial engine' which allows it to speak many common protocols like SPI, I2C, serial UART, JTAG, and more! There's even a handful of digital GPIO pins that you can read and write to do things like flash LEDs, read switches or buttons, andmore. The FT232H breakout is like adding a little swiss army knife forserial protocols to your computer!After rebooting, plug in the FT232H breakot to your PC using a USB micro cable. You should see a message pop up that the device is recognized and a driver is being installed. USB High Speed Power Delivery Series are now available here. With added Power Delivery(PD) functionality to the existing High Speed Series. To make OpenOCD run, you just need a correct configuration file (.cfg) supplied to OpenOCD. This configuration file has commands which are extensions to Jim-Tcl. Jim-Tcl is a programming language that provides a simple and extensible command interpreter.

First connect your FT232H board to the machine and follow the Zadig tool steps here to enable the libusb-based driver for the FT232H board. It could also be caused by a bad configuration like missing ftdi_layout_init command from configuration file: Supports a half duplex FT1248 interface with a configurable width, bi-directional data bus (1, 2, 4 or 8 bits wide).In conclusion, if you don’t have much budget, time, or patience, OpenOCD with FT2232H will be a great choice for you. Requirements Using the Adafruit FT232H Breakout - General Purpose USB to GPIO, SPI, I2C - USB C & Stemma QT, I am trying to program the FT232H following the tutorial "Programming FTDI devices in Python: Part 1" from https://iosoft.blog/2018/12/02/ftdi-python-part-1. To communicate with our target chip, we need a program on the hostand hardware as a bridge between the host and the chip. In this tutorial, we will use OpenOCD as the program on the host to send commands and communicate using SWD. We'll use an FT2232H as the bridge to translate signals from the USB port to the SWD interface.

Bitbang mode: toggling an I/O pin ‘bitbashing’ which FTDI call ‘bitbanging’, refers to driving the I/O pins directly, rather than using an I/O protocol embedded in the device." This error could be caused by using libusb driver in windows while new versions of OpenOCD use WinUSB driver. Every port is equipped with an engine called aMulti-Protocol Synchronous Serial Engine (MPSSE) to simplify asynchronous serial protocol (USB to JTAG, I2C, SPI, or bit-bang) design. This allows users to configure the channel with the desired protocol. MPSSEs are available on channel A and channel B and can be configured to allow any synchronous serial protocol. Be Aware Before Selecting OpenOCD In our tutorial, we will use an adapter with FT2232H chip, so we will use an FTDI interface driver: Also, I advise anyone searching for debugging tools to choose wisely. For example, if you need a simple tool, I think OpenOCDmight not be the best choice for you!

D1 - RX or receive pin. This pin is the serial data input for the FT232H chip and should be connected to the TX or transmist pin of a serial device. All of the suggested tutorial works as one would expect, see below. This is actually where I started. However, when trying to use the FT232H with other programs that specify the drivers from FTDI, i.e., FTD2XX drivers, those programs can not find the FT232H device Information. A standard call for .getDeviceInfo() fails. I believe it is because this (������) is what is read instead of the actual device information. Therefore an error is thrown:

Connect TDI to SWDIO via a suitable series resistor (220-470 Ohm or so depending on the drive capability of the target and adapter) connect TDO directly to SWDIO.”Board: Configuration files for common development boards like “atmel_sam4s_xplained_pro.cfg” - “olimex_stm32_h107.cfg” - “stm32f4discovery.cfg” .. etc. You can see that these files reuse configuration files from interface and target. The table below lists all the currently available application notes and indicates which devices the documents are relevant to.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment