276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

£8.995£17.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The text begins with an introduction to the anthology and its central premise followed by a short story by Darcie Little Badger which is concerned with her identity as a Lipan Apache. Maybe it's by simply speaking up when someone's passive aggressive actions, the result of having romantic intentions rebuffed, are causing problems in class as in "Grace.

This brings the first story in the collection a full circle with Grace finding a home, finally feeling connected to her indigenous land and also shutting down any debate about her heritage in the process. The other strength of the book for me is the message that resistance can take many forms, not just marching in the streets.This year has been full of many thought-provoking, realistic forms of fiction, but this anthology is one of the biggest standouts in YA. D. Lewis, Sofia Quintero, Ray Stoeve, Yamile Mendez, and Connie Sun, with cover and interior art by Richie Pope. Some entries are more successful than others, but overall this is a solid and relevant anthology in which readers of many backgrounds will see their lives mirrored. I think this story really captured the guilt that some people might feel who want to fight the injustices they see everyday but are unable to participate in protests for whatever reason; it wonderfully depicts that anything you can do during adversity counts as resistance and you don’t always have to put yourself in physical danger to show your solidarity and standup for your beliefs.

Or perhaps as in "Aurora Rising," it's embracing one's heritage, holding friends accountable for offensive comments or t-shirt slogans. This way I can listen to music without feeling like I need to follow their structure of chord progressions or lyricism.

The good thing about Windows' mic management is that you can allow and deny access to your mic to any app. TAKE THE MIC's powerful collection of stories features work by literary luminaries and emerging talent alike, including Newbery-winner Jason Reynolds, New York Times bestseller Samira Ahmed, anthologist and contributor Bethany C. The way the story goes from the joy a young Black woman feels while marching with her band to excitement about asking her crush for Homecoming to the absolute dread of being stopped while driving, this one shook me completely and I still have no words to describe what I’m feeling. Autumn’s coming-of-age is sensitively chronicled, with a wide range of experiences and events shaping her character.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment