276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bleeding Heart Yard: Breathtaking new thriller from Ruth Galloway's author

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Harbinder has moved to London and is starting afresh as a DI in the London Met in charge of a team. This introduces a parcel of new characters at work plus she moves in with two other women in a shared house. Her first case becomes very high profile when an MP is murdered. Most of the suspects are old friends of the victim and they all get opportunities to express their own points of view. There are red herrings aplenty and the murderer is the person you least suspect. There is a nice romance for Harbinder too which lightens up the action. This is the third installment in this series with DI Harbinder Kaur. In this one, she’s made the big move to London and is finally away from her parents. I found that she really grew in this one personally, which made for good character development. Isabelle Istar, a famous Actress, Kris Foster, a well known Pop star, and two Politicians with opposing views about Climate change-Garfield Rice and Henry Steep. The small, intimate collection of suspects makes this mystery perfect for fans of Agatha Christie: Rather than a wide-ranging hunt for a killer, Bleeding Heart Yard feels cozy and local. However, the book is also filled with unreliable narrators, as members of The Group struggle to determine which of their memories are real since they may have been tainted by time or trauma or lost to time all together. Old diaries offer clues, but many of the characters have the same amount of questions as Harbinder herself. In this third book in the Harbinder Kaur series, Kaur is now working at the Met as a DI in the Homicide and Serious Crimes Unit. When she finally gets her first murder case it turns out to be a doozy, with a prominent murder victim and his prominent former school friends. Nothing like getting thrown into the deep end on your first murder case at your new job.

When Cassie Fitzgerald was at school in the late 90s, she and her friends killed a fellow student. Almost twenty years later, Cassie is a happily married mother who loves her job--as a police officer. She closely guards the secret she has all but erased from her memory. Harbinder Kaur #3 and I think possibly my favourite so far! Harbinder is now serving in the Met as a DI in the Homicide and Serious Crimes Unit and jolly happy she is too with her promotion. One of her team DS Cassie Fitzgerald has a big secret, so big she’s tried to wipe it from her memory bank. However, fate or something more sinister has a habit of resurrecting the past. The storyline centres around Manor Park School, a posh Chelsea State School with several well-known former pupils all contemporaries and former classmates of Cassie. At the 21st anniversary celebration of this golden gang leaving school, one of their number Conservative MP Garfield Rice is found dead, a suspected drugs overdose but Cassie suspects this links to the past. Is she right? The story is told via Harbinder, Cassie and Anna another school friend of Cassie’s. This is done so well as each voice is unique and adds to the growing intrigue. I don't know if it's the difference between listening to audio books as I do with the RGs, or reading as I did with this but I just don't find the characters convincing, plus there's just the main one so far and not the hinterland of RG. Bleeding Heart Yard’ is the title of a 2022 crime novel by Elly Griffiths, the third in the Detective Harbinder Kaur series. The yard is the location of one of the main happenings in the plot.

Bleeding Heart Square" by Andrew Taylor (published by Michael Joseph 2008 and by Penguin Books 2009). I adore the character of Harbinder. She's smart, tough, but also trying to forge her way in the law enforcement world where she is "other"--she's a lesbian person of color. She's not exactly sure of herself in the new setting, but I saw the growth of her confidence as the investigation progressed. Props to Griffiths for not being content to leave a character in a familiar place and allowing her to grow. In this book she finds love--and the ending epilogue left me with a huge smile on my face. The interaction between the members of the team is excellent as well, I always dread books where there's a ton of office politics and this book doesn't really have that. The team works together and plays off of each other incredibly well.

Sonoma Davies – Headteacher at Manor Park. Planned the reunion, and was meant to attend, but cancelled at the last minute. Member of “The Group”. Harbinder Kaur, although the central character in this series, seems to almost be overshadowed by the school friends around whom the investigation is concentrated. I wonder if this is why I didn't enjoy Bleeding Heart Yard quite as much as its predecessors which focused more on Harbinder.Yes, this is my first Elly Griffiths book and yes, I started with #3 in a series. Did you expect anything more? Since I read half of this with the good ole peepers, I'm writing a full review. I was actually vibulating with the audio so much, I wanted to read it with my eyes. The narrator did a fabulous job playing all the different roles. Even her Italian accent was pretty legit. I highly recommend this one to audio lovers. We’re police officers,’ said Harbinder, already terrified by the traffic on the South Circular. ‘We love crime.’ The kids used to love playing Murder in the Dark. It really is a very easy party game and kept them quiet for ages. They would all shut themselves in the downstairs bathroom, about ten of them. The detective would be left outside, sitting disconsolately on the stairs. After a few minutes of giggling, a blood-curdling scream would ring out and the door would open to reveal someone lying on the floor between the loo and the basin. The law enforcer would then have to solve the crime, sometimes with a little help from me. 'That's not fair Mum,' Lucy and Sam used to say. Is Cassie right, or was Garfield murdered by one of his political cronies? It's in Cassie's interest to skew the investigation so that it looks like the latter and she seems to be succeeding.

DS Cassie Fitzherbert has a secret - but it's one she's deleted from her memory. In the 1990s when she was at school, she and her friends killed a fellow pupil. Thirty years later, Cassie is happily married and loves her job as a police officer. My expectations were very high as I have loved the Ruth Galloway Series and “The Stranger Diaries”. These novels were all very intricately plotted while I thought this was a straight up police procedural. Is Cassie right, or was Garfield murdered by one of his political cronies? It's in Cassie's interest to skew the investigation so that it looks like it has nothing to do with Manor Park and she seems to be succeeding. Manor Park’s graduating class of ‘98 was quite distinguished. “The group” as they were known in school included seven members.Harbinder has moved to West London following her promotion to DI, and her first case with a new team involves the death of a prominent Tory politician at a school reunion. Her suspects include the man’s former friends, all part of a popular clique known as The Group, one of whom just happens to be Cassie, Harbinder’s DS - who has been keeping a terrible secret for twenty years… When Cassie Fitzgerald was at school in the late 90s, she and her friends killed a fellow student. Almost twenty years later, Cassie is a happily married mother who loves her job—as a police officer. She closely guards the secret she has all but erased from her memory. Elly Griffiths’ third Harbinder Kaur mystery finds the detective inspector eager to prove herself after relocating from West Sussex to London. Her latest case begins when a reunion at the posh Manor Park School in Chelsea results in politician Garfield Rice’s murder.

In the present Harbinder Kaur has been promoted to DI in the CID of the MET and is in charge of the MIT at West Kensington. Apologies for all the acronyms but I’m sure they are pretty self explanatory. Cassie is now DS Cassie Fitzherbert. She has a husband and two children. Cassie attends a reunion at her alma mater, Manor Park school. Everyone in her friendship group will be thereThis was the class reunion for a posh school, Manor Park Comprehensive; this class has a lot of high profile graduates!! I really liked Griffiths writing style. Her dry wit is right up my alley and reminded me of my faves: Jo Spain, Cara Hunter, Angela Marsons, Sharon Bolton, etc. I don't know what goes on in the U.K, but the police procedural ladies can WRITE write. Her husband persuades her to go to a school reunion and another ex-pupil, Garfield Rice, is found dead, supposedly from a drug overdose. As Garfield was an eminent MP and the investigation is high profile, it's headed by Cassie's new boss, DI Harbinder Kaur. Trouble is, Cassie can't shake the feeling that one of her old friends is behind it. Cassie knows that Garfield’s death threatens to expose what she’s done, even on the off chance that his murder has nothing to do with what they did as teens. Part of why she became a police officer, after all, is to keep her hand on the pulse of any investigations should her crime ever come to light. What will she do and how far will she go now that she finally risks exposure, even as Harbinder and the rest of her colleagues get closer and closer to the truth?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment