276°
Posted 20 hours ago

After the War: From Auschwitz to Ambleside (Conkers)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

FULL Lesson plans and materials for KS3 History, RS, Cit and Eng produced by the UCL Centre for Holocaust Education here

For instance, roughly two-thirds of military fatalities in the American Civil War were due to disease, according to Sartin, 1993. Infectious Diseases During the Civil War: The Triumph of the “Third Army”. Clinical Infectious Diseases Vol. 16, No. 4. I would definitely recommend this book to my teachers and to all children aged 10+, who are interested in World War 2 and its aftermath. The following list highlights just some of the conflicts that have impacted the lives of people from the United Kingdom, the British Empire and the Commonwealth since 1900. The museum records and preserves stories from many of these conflicts amongst its collections, which you can search here.Non-state actors are those that demonstrate a degree of coordinated military organisation but whose identity falls short of statehood. Non-state conflicts are those between two or more non-state actors, with no state involvement. You see in the chart that there are certainly similarities across the different sources. Overall they show a decline in conflict deaths into the 2000s, followed by an increase in the 2010s. 2 I would definitely recommend this book to othersbecause it teaches you a lot about the war and things that happened in places we know. It doesn’t just teach you - its fun to read because you don’t know what’s coming next and it really builds suspense. Conflict took place in every year of the 20th Century; the world was free from the violence caused by war for only very short periods of time. It has been estimated that 187 million people died as a result of war from 1900 to the present. The actual number is likely far higher. I really applaud the way you’ve got so many historical details into such a short text, and made it emotional too. It’s honestly brilliant, and I’ll be recommending it to all the Jewish schools, and reminding HET about it. You haven’t shied away from those cruel and harsh memories, and you’ve represented it very fairly. I should think the survivors would be pleased at your perpetuation of their memories. ” CLARE ZINKIN book blogger and teacher

I haven’t learnt any knew words or facts as a result of the story, but I didn’t like how I didn’t get to find out if Yossi could be reunited with his father or if his father had died. The response from young people, survivors, teachers and organisations including the Anne Frank Trust UK, the National Literacy Trust, UCL Centre for Holocaust Education, The story was very interesting, and also very sad, as the boys were sent to Calgarth Estate to get better because they were very traumatised, had lost everything and were in very poor health. To answer the question of how many people die in conflicts today, and how this has changed over time, we can turn to a number of different datasets.Gary Moore – After the War". Dutch Charts.nl (in Dutch). Media Control Charts . Retrieved 9 June 2018. I really enjoyed this book as overall it is quite a sad book but has a unexpected happy ending. I also liked how it switched from the lake district to the war but not too often that it was confusing. It was also very interesting that it seemed to be a mix of fiction and non-fiction with real life events in it but not a factual book. Overall I really enjoyed this book. You will find that each conflict is described with a set of dates, which implies a defined ‘beginning and end’. While this is useful to help with classification, it is important to note that the causes and consequences of individual wars or conflicts extend far beyond these narrow ranges. Frequently, there are wider issues which connect many of them together; exploring and documenting these links through our collections is an ongoing process. Thank you St Andrews C of E Brighouse for sharing this special song inspired by Yossi, written by Mrs Music’s Memory Makers Across the various sources there three broad kinds of violent event distinguished: state-based conflict, non-state conflict and one-sided violence. The kind of event depends on the type of actors involved. State-based conflict is that involving at least one state-actor, and includes conflicts between states (“inter-state” conflicts) and those between a state and non-state actor (“extra-state” conflicts), such as civil wars or colonial wars.

It is instantly clear After the War is well-researched and depicts the real-life events with great sensitivity. The three central characters are all inspired by the true stories of survivors … As the years passed, hatred of the Versailles treaty and its authors settled into a smoldering resentment in Germany that would, two decades later, be counted among the causes of World War II. World War I Casualties It’s really powerful. Really good. I think it’s particularly hard-hitting as its told in such simple language – I really applaud the way you’ve got so many historical details into such a short text, and made it emotional too. It’s honestly brilliant, and I’ll be recommending it to all the Jewish schools, and reminding HET about it. You haven’t shied away from those cruel and harsh memories, and you’ve represented it very fairly. I should think the survivors would be pleased at your perpetuation of their memories. ” CLARE ZINKIN book blogger and teacher Tensions had been brewing throughout Europe—especially in the troubled Balkan region of southeast Europe—for years before World War I actually broke out.I’ve just read your book and I loved it. I’m second generation and my father was one of the Boys who went to Windermere. I’m currently writing a presentation for ages 13 plus and will definitely recommend your book. I thought how you portrayed the children was spot on especially how they kept being reminded of what they had witnessed and lost. I found it very moving. I look forward to sharing it with my grandchildren when they are older. Congratulations” M Turgel

The best children’s fiction book I’ve yet read about the Holocaust. After The War manages to be vividly engaging both as history education and as a human story – eye-opening, exciting, hugely touching. Beautifully structured and written it may be aimed at 9-14 year-olds, but no-one should miss it” CEO Anne Frank Trust UK The best children’s fiction book I’ve yet read about the Holocaust … vividly engaging both as history education and as a human story”–Tim Robertson, CEO of the Anne Frank Trust The bloodshed on the battlefields of the Western Front, and the difficulties its soldiers had for years after the fighting had ended, inspired such works of art as “ All Quiet on the Western Front” by Erich Maria Remarque and “ In Flanders Fields” by Canadian doctor Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae. In the latter poem, McCrae writes from the perspective of the fallen soldiers: When Tom Palmer approached me to ask if he could write a book about the Jewish children and their stay in the Lake District, I was immediately taken by his desire to totally immerse himself in the story. We worked with him on this extraordinary book project and he was always full of the same compassion as those who helped the children in their early days of recovery. He was also utterly dedicated to doing the story justice, and I am sure you will see that he has. It is a story from the past, told in the present, with lessons for us all for the future. ” TREVOR AVERYwww.worldjewishrelief.org/theboys– gives information about their role in the rescue and features some of the children’s brief stories Moussa Abu Marzouk, a Hamas official, said in a television interview last month that Hamas was not responsible for protecting civilians in Gaza. The tunnels under the strip, he said, exist only to protect Hamas; the UN and Israel should protect civilians. Other Hamas leaders have berated the UN for failing to send enough food and medicine. They brought misery upon Gaza by carrying out their massacre in Israel last month but want someone else to deal with the fallout.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment