276°
Posted 20 hours ago

DROP + MiTo GMK Laser Custom Mechanical Keyboard Novelty Keycap Set - 44-Keys, Doubleshot ABS, Cherry Profile (Novelties)

£45.675£91.35Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You can find other keycap sets that come close to the level of quality that GMK offers. SP, JTK and Maxkey are some notable examples. But most would agree that none of them really stand out compared to GMK keycaps. There have been groupbuys for cheaper aluminum sets too. If you're waiting for something like this to be advertised to you, you'll never see it.I'd expected such a concept would be more desirable/popular. Even if I shared with you what I think the best GMK keycap sets are, the chances are that you probably will not be able to buy it. I can see in my head how to 'make' stamped keycaps, affordably; but, I have 0 access to laser cutters, sheet metal, and presses.

Aug 4th 2023 Corsair Gaming Reports Second Quarter 2023 Financial Results, Revenue up 14.6% YoY (0) If you participate in any of the GMK group buys, you’ll be familiar with how long it takes for them to arrive at your doorstep. There are two reasons for this.

The way in which PBT keycaps are made causes its legends to be generally much darker than ABS keycaps. In a nutshell, ABS keycaps offer much higher customization options as they offer a larger variety of colours. The concept of stamping is to use as little material as possible to 'form' a sturdy keycap: laser cut the 'foldable-shape' and character/typeface, then stamp/bend into keycap shape, finally brazing or welding in a cast/MIM/extruded 'stem'. The main advantage that ABS plastics have over PBT is that they’re much softer. This allows manufacturers to easily include a large variety of colours than what is possible on PBT. Since they are able to use double or triple shot processes to integrate colours, ABS keycaps tend to be much brighter and vibrant than PBT keycaps. Still, I'm hoping to find someone making 'stamped' metal keycaps to keep costs (any keycap mass) down. metalkeyboards.no's milled keycaps remind me of the custom metal keycaps LTT had made. Personally, I can’t stand dye-sub keycaps, which why I specifically looked for ABS doubleshot keycaps. For all three sets, the legends are crisp. Absolutely no fuzziness.

I think that the GMK clone set is good enough to be used as a budget keycap set. Whatever reason you want budget keycaps for, I think these are a viable set to buy. Even price wise, they're pretty cheap comparatively. The prices for each set that I paid for each were: As shown by YouTuber-machinists, you can 'stamp and form' (softer) metal(s) using wood and plastic 'molds'. So, if one (already) had access to the tools and materials, I can't imagine 'start-up costs' and prototyping being all that expensive. Which, furthers my curiosity into why hasn't anyone done it yet? Secondly, these wait times have doubled and tripled recently due to COVID, with production delays colliding with a staggering increase in demand. A lot of group buys that took place last year won’t ship until 2022!

Whoops!

Jul 4th 2023 HYTE in Collaboration with hololive English Unveils the New Limited-Edition Mori Calliope Y40 Bundle (2) The reason why GMK keycaps have garnered millions of loyal fans around the world is because of multiple reasons. They are known for their bright and distinct colourways that can be found on all their keycap sets. Unlike a lot of keycap sets, GMK keycaps use ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastics rather than PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) plastics. One of the biggest reason I wanted to switch from the ePBT keycap set is that the spacebar produced produced an incredibly hollow sound. I used these keycaps on a RAMA U80, which requires a 7U spacebar. Take a look at the underside of the 7U spacebar from the ePBT and GMK clone set.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment