276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The October Man: A Rivers of London Novella

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And there is a recurring mysterious villain called the Faceless Man, whose nefarious machinations keep creeping up to endanger Peter and lure Nightingale into a magical duel. I'm trying to streamline the plot, but really, the complications are the best spice for this police procedural curry, and being clueless is part of the game: Night Witch - Russian Oligarch's daughter is kidnapped and he thinks kidnapping Nightwitch Varvara Sidorovna will help the situation. [12] Abigail Kamara; an annoyingly persistent teen-aged girl who is the de facto founding member of the Folly's Youth Wing. Lives at the same estate as Peter's parents. Body Work – Starting with a car on a killing spree, with no driver, Peter investigates a Bosnian refugee and a seemingly-harmless wooden bench with the darkest of paths... [11]

This time Aaronovitch delves into the history of Trier's vinyard and wine-making history, and you can expect the same style of story telling. Though Winter and Grant have their individual personalities, one gets the feeling they'd likely enjoy a beer together. One gets the feeling that - after ending a chapter in Grant's life in the last full book - this novella sets the scenery for the next big adventure. The new PoV/narrator Tobias Winter has a lot in common with Peter Grant -- young policeman-detective fairly new to magical affairs -- which excused the similarity of voice somewhat. Slightly less snarky humor but not none. Seemed to be dealing with a lot of the same sorts of organizational structures, which may simply be a case of welcome to modernity. If this is the result of a vacation/work trip by the author to the Moselle region, Aaronovitch should be encouraged to travel more. There are bad things in the world, and most of them aren't my job. But, of the things that are my responsibility, revenants are the worse."

Customer reviews

In this particular book, much of it takes place in the world of the 'posh' elite, giving us a chance to appreciate a range of upper-class/highly educated accents. Somehow, Kobna is able to give us the sassy tones of Bev, the clipped tone of Lady Ty controlling her temper, Nightingales' measured and articulate speech along with the working-class, foul-mouthed drawl of Inspector Seawoll and the swarmy, entendre-laden tones of Reynard the Fox and make me believe each character. That, to me, is flipping ah-maz-ing. For comparison, one of the first audiobooks I listened to was a female reader for Stephanie Plum book, and her voicing of the males in the books felt so false, so awkward, that I was thrown out of the story every time they spoke. Not so here. The only misstep to me is the brief appearance of American Kim Reynolds, and I'd say he's improved that since Whispers Underground. Other Americans fair better. I'd also like to remember that one dangerous moment for Peter (oh, shush; there's many in every book) where Kobna drops his voice nearly to a whisper to read, sending chills up my spine. Just perfect. Yes, but do you want to know the actual answer?" said Nightingale. "You've always proved reluctant in the past. Am I to understand that you've changed your attitude?" The more I love a book, the harder it becomes to review, because I don't want to move out of my state of enjoyment to one of analysis. That said, this was quite possibly my favorite installment of Peter Grant's story yet. The characterization is interesting, there are developments in Peter's personal life, and the overall arc of the series takes a satisfying and solid step forward. Tobias Winter and his associate Vanessa Sommer (I know right?) are on are the trail of a strange murder in the ancient city of Triers and we are off again on another FUN!!! Aaronovitch adventure in this slightly off-center novella. Published in June 2019. Tobias Winter, the only apprentice in the "Abteilung komplexe und diffuse Angelegenheiten" (KDA) (Department for Complex and Diffuse Matters – the German equivalent of the Folly) investigates a suspicious death in a vineyard near the Moselle. His local colleague is Vanessa Sommer, who is going to join the KDA in the end as well.

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Water Weed – When Chelsea and Olympia decide to earn a few quid on the side, Peter and Bev find themselves confronting London's new queenpin of crime – the brutal and beautiful Hoodette!I like when the bad villain is not easily defeated and the one in this book (and the series too) is a long-term one. He has a great acolyte to help in making an even bigger mess. Their team is cruel, shrewd and witty – a dangerous and charming combination to make them a perfect rival for Peter and his friends :) There’s a hint that one more terrible evil force from the earlier books is going to make a grand show in the future books! Can’t wait to dive into another adventure with Peter Grant!

Professor Harold Postmartin D.Phil. FRS BMon "Postmartin the Pirate" Archivist and expert for the Folly. When a man is found dead with his body impossibly covered in a fungal rot, the local authorities know they are out of their depth. But fortunately this is Germany, where there are procedures for everything. That said, I'd really prefer Grant & Co. There were just a couple of points where I laughed, one early on: A Peeler could summon aid by shaking his rattle while in hot pursuit of a felon and hoping that people would stop laughing long enough to help. The rattle was soon superseeded by the whistle, whose principal advantage was that, not only could you have a number of prearranged signals for a variety of situations, but you didn't look like a total tit using it.What starts out as a suspicious drug overdose at a party involving Lady Ty's daughter soon turns into a hunt for some missing stolen magical books and artefacts. Peter and Nightingale are not the only ones who'd like to find them and very soon they find themselves entangled with some old enemies. Ben Aaronovitch kommt nach Deutschland. Nicht nur er persönlich auf Lesereise, sondern auch seine Urban Fantasy Geschichte findet bei uns in Deutschland ein neues Setting. Um sich bei seinen deutschen Fans zu bedanken, hat er sich dazu entschieden, seine Novelle, die zwar in demselben Universum wie seine Urban Fantasy Reihe Rivers of London spielt, aber dennoch unabhängig davon gelesen werden kann, hier bei uns in good old Germany anzusiedeln. Welche Stadt genau er sich als Schauplatz ausgesucht hat? Genau, Trier. Ich kann es selbst immer noch nicht fassen, dass seine Tobi Winter Story tatsächlich hier bei uns in Trier spielt. This can be dated by a reference in the opening chapter of the novel, where Peter starts a new job on same day that David Bowie died, i.e., 10 January 2016

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment