276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Renegade Game Studio | Arboretum | Card Game | Ages 8+ | 2-4 Players | 30 Minutes Playing Time

£10.995£21.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I didn’t think too much of it, I’ve played mean games in the past but haven’t found anything outrageous. The game was designed by Dan Cassar and the new edition has artwork from the immensely-talented Beth Sobel. Arboretum is a strategic card game that challenges players to create the most beautiful path through the garden.

Arboretum is a strategy card game for 2-4 players, aged 10 and up, that combines set collection, tile-laying and hand management while playing in about 25 minutes. The cards themselves are foiled and super shiny - they look stunning on the table, but the foil does make them a little slippery which some people might find frustrating. Every now and again, a game quietly whispers from the shelf, “You’ve picked me up on so many occasions. There are plenty of times that players will end up collectively using all cards of a color, so if you have even a tiny path, you’ll score it (since a 0 from all players’ hands is a tie).

In Arboretum, you're trying to build this perfect botanical garden filled with Cherry Blossoms, Maples, and Jacarandas. Bad art, weak theme, confused mechanics – these all make players feel a varying mixture of disappointment, sadness, and ire. This helps me a bit because then I don’t draw two really good cards (since I already drew one that my opponent threw away, though that’s highly subjective) and then have to choose which one of the cards in my hand to throw away. If a player doesn't have the most value for a color, she score zero points for a path that begins and ends with that color. The game ends when the draw pile runs out, with the player who drew the last card getting to finish their turn.

Then, apart from the starting player, everyone else has one card placed face-up to represent their discard pile.And I think that at 2 players, having that duelling sense in the gameplay and fewer species to fight over, intensifies the feelings in Arboretum even more. The only place that I would have wished for something different in the graphic design is the score sheet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment