276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Kingfisher’s fantasies are reminiscent of Robin McKinley’s work, with whimsical details and amusing parenthetical remarks. I can't begin to describe how much I loved this absolutely delightful book featuring silly shenanigans, leavened with some serious undertones. Overall, the book never lacks for charm and silliness (which sometimes make the stakes difficult to manage?

T Kingfisher's books are like a hug - a dark, sometimes frightening hug, but with characters that you can't help falling in love with, just a little bit. But I found myself puzzled, supremely, by dual ideas (spoilery) of a large enough city that children can escape multiple guards on a canal and through smugglers' pathways, but that same young baker can make seven golems and twenty gingerbread men can hold off an advancing army in a way that a populace can't.

Often charming and personable animals are part of both authors’ formulas, but here instead of an animal sidekick we have animated gingerbread men and other bakery products with minds of their own, not to mention Bob the belching sourdough starter. And that one Ginger Bread Cookie has more personality than most authors give to their main characters.

who manages to still be a (sensible) teenager (mostly) with all the shit that is going on in her life, without all the whining usually associated to these types of books.She has a comfortable life in her aunt's bakery making gingerbread men dance and biscuits go fluffy. Patricia Santomasso has an extensive catalog of audiobooks under her belt and it can be heard in her presentation of this story. I also liked the depth of the supporting characters – as well as Mona’s anger at the adults’ inability to sort things out, so that it’s down to her. Personally I found Bob, the carnivorous semi-intelligent sour bread starter dough, hilarious and the Nag, the horse skeleton, rather cute.

A] knack for creating colorful, instantly memorable characters, and inhuman creatures capable of inspiring awe and wonder. Well…a big formal wedding is about the same (and because we do cakes, I’ve been on the periphery of a few), except that if things go wrong in a siege you’ll all die horribly, and in formal weddings, the stakes are much higher. die and those adults who should be in charge are fallible, this is still ultimately an uplifting and empowering tale. Mona is such a superb protagonist – having been orphaned and then looked after by her aunt and uncle, her life is jogging along quite nicely. If I was going to get thrown in the dungeon, at least I was going to leave a trail of quality pastries behind me.

I believed in the world, the politics and the way prejudice against folks with magical ability had been subtly stirred up – it was nicely done. An assassin is stalking the streets of Mona's city, preying on magic folk, and it appears that Mona is his next target.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment