276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

From one of the preeminent sports biographers in this country…another piece of remarkable work Adrian Wojnarowski The author writes about Krzyzewski’s temper and profanity, and that in defeat he was at times unpleasant to be around. He states that Krzyzewski at times had trouble saying he was sorry.

Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski - Goodreads

In other words, it did what a biography should do. It painted an accurate and exhaustive portrait of the man. Conscious that he did not want his book to steer into hagiography, O'Connor seem to go out of his way to share almost every occasion where Krzyzewski has been petty and ungracious. In an effort to provide nuance, however, O'Connor seems to raise questions without resolving them. For example, time and again, he hints darkly that corruption was rife in basketball recruiting and that, in effect, everyone was providing some form of improper benefits, and thus by implication, Duke likewise participated. Yet, he cannot provide a single example of a Duke basketball player receiving an improper benefit. His treatment of these issues was superficial and seemed calculated to reinforce the belief that Duke "gets all the calls." It is absolutely fantastic. [The] level of reporting is insane. …This book is so fun, it really is. When you bring in the Bob Knight stuff, it is jet fuel to this book. You can’t get enough of this….An absolute must read. Colin Cowherd About the only big picture thing that isn't detailed is Krzyzewski's involvement with the '92 Dream Team. There's plenty of documentation on that story elsewhere, which might explain why O'Connor just gives it a drive-by.From one of the preeminent sports biographers in this country…another piece of remarkable work”— Adrian Wojnarowski, The Woj Pod The second time I typed it, the time when I mentioned O'Connors inclusion of misspellings of Coach K's name, I spelled it wrong. Flagrant. I am a grateful recipient of a Duke graduate school degree and even before attending Duke, I was a huge fan of both the men’s and women’s BB programs. Reading Ian O’connor’s biography of Coach K’s life from his days in Chicago to his retirement announcement in 2021 shows the greatness and the weakness of all leaders. My respect for the man and all that he tried to do, his passion to win games, devotion to his family, and his unrelenting drive to be the best at his craft is inspiring for anyone on a quest for excellence in any area of life.

MIKE KRZYZEWSKI (of 168) | A-Z Quotes TOP 25 QUOTES BY MIKE KRZYZEWSKI (of 168) | A-Z Quotes

Basketball fans might feel as though they already know Coach K – or Mike Krzyzewski, the decades-long coach of the Duke Blue Devils who’s set to retire after this season. In this insightful biography, sportswriter O’Connor captures the formative experiences and inner drive that catapulted the coach to icon status. Even the most die-hard fans will learn something. Washington Post Ian O’Connor’s “Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski” purports to be the definitive biography of the man who is arguably the definitive figure in college basketball in the past 50 years. From his early days growing up in Chicago to his time as West Point – first as a player, then as a coach – to his ascension to the top job at Duke, where he turned a decent ACC team into one of the greatest college basketball programs ever. I had read Donald Phillips work, Lincoln on Leadership and LOVED it. When I saw that he and Coach K had collaborated, I KNEW I was in for a treat. This is cool: I realized from the tales of Coach K’s West Point squads that I actually saw Coach K’s first Army team play. Army came to Knoxville, Tennessee for the old Volunteer Classic tournament. I remember that tournament well. The good news is that I got to see a legendary coach do his thing long before he became a legend. The bad news is that since this game was played forty-five years ago, I am therefore old. Officials at Duke wanted to hire former Blue Devils star Tommy Amaker to replace Mike Krzyzewski after he retires this year, but the coach wanted current associate head coach Jon Scheyer to take the job, according to a new book by author Ian O'Connor due out next week.

I thought the book did a good job balancing K's strengths and flaws. It neither felt like a hatchet job nor a PR piece. You get to see how loyal and thoughtful K could be, reaching out to people he barely knows in their time of greatest need. You also got to see how his competitive fire could make him petty and temperamental. For me, the stuff on Bobby Knight was the most fascinating. One former Army player of Knight's is quoted as saying Airborne Ranger School doesn't compare to a Bobby Knight preseason practice. The book presents Knight in all his complicated glory: abusive, tyrannical, petty, compassionate, great teacher, integrity. All of these attributes come to play in Krzyzewski's up-and-down relationship with his mentor. I skipped the Sweet Sixteen -- March 24, for Duke -- and they won but still it was a dumb mistake. Traveling. Richly reported and expertly written, Ian O’Connor delivers the definitive biography of the iconic Mike Krzyzewski. This is required reading for any fan of basketball, leadership or uniquely American success stories." Dan Wetzel

Leading with the Heart: Krzyzewski, Mike: 9781538741610

This year marks Coach K’s last on the Duke bench. He’s walking away after the season, heading into a retirement that his family undoubtedly thinks is long overdue. It’s interesting to think about what a guy with this kind of competitive fire will do without that outlet; who can say what he’ll do next?It should be noted that Krzyzewski himself did not speak to O’Connor for the book, though by all accounts he was receptive to the idea of others – from all chapters in his life – sitting down with the author. Make no mistake, however – this book is PLENTY thorough.) This book was exceedingly well researched. It had a bunch of stories even I -- a lifelong Duke fan who hosts a podcast about Duke basketball -- had never heard. I found the stories about K's rise to greatness the most interesting part. We hear so little about those early years. Where it's weak: K himself says he wants honesty, so here it is: He needs more confidence as an author and to set his sights higher. It's a "good" leadership/basketball reminiscing book that could be a truly _great_ leadership-only book if it were better edited to spend less time on irrelevant details of some game in 1988 and more time on being concise. Those details are entertaining, but we're business leaders, we need people to get to the point. The publisher probably said it needed fluff to sell. However, I'll bet a second edition with less fluff and promoted more as a true management book would sell more. In K terminology, the "heart" of this book is in its leadership lessons. We've already seen the games. This was a VERY in depth portrayal of the legend of Coach K. When he first started coaching, he was ridiculed and viewed by many as having a brief career, but this gritty leader who was shaped by Bobby Knight ended up being now recognized as the greatest college coach ever (And some question whether he was the greatest coach ever!)!

Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski - Kindle

The Chronicle, Duke’s independent student news organization, has published a new book documenting Mike Krzyzewski’s historic coaching career ahead of his final season leading the Blue Devils. Krzyzewskibuilt a staggering basketball empire that has endured for more than four decades, placing him among the all-time titans of American sport, and yet there has never been a defining portrait of the coach and his program. Until now. O’Connor uses scores of interviews with those who know Krzyzewski bestto deliver previously untold stories about the relationships that define the venerable Coach K, including the one with his volcanic mentor, Bob Knight, that died a premature death. Krzyzewski was always driven by an inner rage fueled by his tough Chicago upbringing, and by the blue-collar Polish-American parents who raised him to fight for a better life. With updated coverage of Coach K’s stunning final season, O’Connor shows you sides of the man and his methods that will surprise even the most dedicated Duke fan. An examination of past allegations of NCAA rules infractions and eligibility issues, and a belief among rival schools and coaches that the governing body gives Duke favorable treatment. This book by Ian O’Connor (I had previously read his book "The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter"), looks at the life and career of former Duke Men’s basketball coach Mike “Coach K” Krzyzewski from his growing up in Chicago through the announcement of his retirement before his 42nd and final season (2021-22). Although Krzyzewski did not agree to be interviewed for the project, he also did not discourage those closest to him from speaking with the author for this well researched book. Overall, I felt that the book was a balanced look at Krzyzewski, who I have always appreciated being successful while running a clean program. After graduation, he served for five years in the U.S. Army before moving on to become a grad assistant to Knight, who had taken the job at Indiana that would define his career. It was on Knight’s recommendation that Krzyzewski would land his first head coaching gig at his alma mater, taking over the Cadets and helming them for five years.This book is a well-deserved and timely tribute to Coach Mike Krzyzewski. For those sports fans who are counting, I finished reading this the night after Coach K’s 2022 Duke team lost in the Final Four to their uber-rivals, the University of North Carolina Tarheels.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment