276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jellyfish: A Natural History

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Drawing upon myth and historical sources as well as modern scientific advances, Jellyfish examines our ambiguous relationship with these ancient and yet ill-understood animals, describing their surprisingly complex anatomy, weaponry and habits, and their vital contribution to the ocean's ecosystem. After her best friend dies in a drowning accident, Suzy refuses to speak, and she is determined to discover the true cause of why the unthinkable happened. As she processes her grief and the journey at the point from when she and her friend first met, until her tragic death, Suzy begins to learn more about the complexities of friendship, and of the beauty and heartache in life. In the end, not-talking means the same thing, more or less, as small talk. Nothing. Besides, I’ll bet so-called small talk has ended more friendships than silence ever did. By now I was twelve years old and starting my second year of middle school. I knew a few things about grown-ups. And here’s one of the things I knew: Grown-ups are like everybody else—they don’t actually want you to say what you’re thinking. Sometimes you want things to change so badly, you can't even stand to be in the same room with the way things actually are.

She teaches her class about jellyfish lifecycles – – – "jelly start off on us as a plant, cleaning to the bottom of the sea, and how in that phase of life, they are a planula. But that when they are grown up, when they break away from the seafloor and are free to pulse through the ocean, they have taken the form of a medusa." She has so much more to say...( this is the first time she has spoken at all since before the beginning of the school year) ... She has a message she desperately wants to get across--- but her teacher stops her...they have run out of time... She lets her continue - a little-.but she still never finishes... The Thing About Jellyfish is a 2015 children's novel written by Ali Benjamin, her fiction debut. [1] Plot summary [ edit ] Science Plays Lead Role In New Book Aimed At Young Adults". WBUR. 28 September 2015 . Retrieved 10 June 2018. Ali Benjamin (16 February 2016). "Ali Benjamin on "The Thing About Jellyfish" " (Interview). Interviewed by Josh Armstrong. Mountain Valley Hospice . Retrieved 10 June 2018. It is a middle-grade novel that centers to Suzy Swanson and her mission to unravel the mystery (or prove her theory) behind her ex-best friend's death. She can't accept the idea of "sometimes, things just happen"-- that her ex-best friend died of drowning when she's a good swimmer. She didn't believe in this. During a school trip in an park full of aquatic animals, she learned about invisible jellyfish. And she assumed that maybe her best friend has been killed by a jellyfish sting.

Sometimes you want things to change so badly, you can’t even stand to be in the same room with the way things actually are. If you want a book to feel uplifted and inspired ... this is a terrific choice... written by very bright talented author!'

In 2019, Ruth was made an Arts Foundation Laureate, receiving the Mallinson Rendel Illustration Award. Maybe this is what happens when a person grows up. Maybe the space between you and the other people in your life grows so big you can stuff it full of all kinds of lies.”Best Books 2015, Middle Grade: The Thing About Jellyfish". Best Books 2015. School Library Journal . Retrieved 10 June 2018. Suzy's take on the world is both academic and poetic, despite her young age. She has one of the most romantic worldviews yet encountered in a children's book: The aspect of Suzy that I totally believed was her social awkwardness. This totally rang true. She's a smart girl. She learns well from her science teacher and pushes herself to talk when its that or fail. She just doesn't have a gauge about what to share or not share... but she learns!! We see through the lens of the past that she slowly put it together. She's not lost a friend before and this was her first and only friend. She had a learning curve... (aren't many of us socially awkward at first?!) The Thing About Jellyfish is a touching tale about a young girl whose best (and only) friend drowns while on holiday. As the story progresses we discover that Suzy’s grief is much more than just the loss of her friend, but frustration at something happening without apparent reason, and regret about the things that took place between them before her friend died. Such a lot for a young soul to carry. I finished this last night, but I’m still feeling emotional about it. I’m so pleased I discovered this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment