276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Remember Me

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What I feel is that this book and this story don’t have the protagonism that it should, since it tells something so exceptional. I had never heard of this, not even on History classes.

Remember Me - Lesley Pearse - Google Books Remember Me - Lesley Pearse - Google Books

Este libro está basado en hechos reales. Y creanme que después de leerlo que se llevó un pedazo de mi corazón. No tengo palabras para describir el horror que sentí, el dolor y las lágrimas que derramé con esta historia y es que llegó un momento que por todo lloraba. Por la amistad de Mary con los aquellos hombres. Por la bondad de Boswell y Tench, por las pérdidas que sufrió Mary, Mary separándose de sus amigos. Todo es tan intenso. Mary es un personaje que llegas a admirar y más porque sabes que fue real, no puedo sino sentir admiración por ella y quiero pensar que todos aquellos amigos tuvieron su final feliz.Sally was very much a closed book but with her new found surprising information Alice is very much determined to open it up. Alice starts to dig into her mother’s past and she throws up some surprising facts that she perhaps wished she had left buried but at the same time a clearer picture of her heritage starts to form for her and along the way she does find some romance. The majority of the book centres around Sally and her deception of which there were many. It begs the question what happens when the person closest to you has led a life of lies and secrets and deceived so many? I absolutely loved this book! It's wonderful that it's based on a real life character. The writing style made me feel like I was actually there crossing the ocean in the stinking, filthy hold of the ship, the hot and nearly uninhabitable barren land of Australia, then the chill and damp of Newgate prison on her return to England. Everywhere she went, she gathered admirers and her amazing journey makes for the perfect story. El 28 de marzo de 1791, William y Mary Bryant, los niños, en compañía de sus compañeros William Allen, James Martin , Samuel Bird alias John Simms, Samuel Broom alias John Butcher, James Cox alias Rolt, Nathaniel Lillie y William Morton Navegante), roban un bote y escapan. Que haría una sin un amigo? Hasta en la más terrible tormenta no falta el amigo que no podrá evitar que llueva pero estará ahí contigo y será tu sombrilla (paraguas).

Remember Me by Lesley Pearse | Waterstones

Fleur was probably my favourite character to read about in the story. What a complicated, troubled and yet incredibly strong woman she was. Despite a bad start in life and many obstacles, she seemed to keep going. Some of her decisions were questionable but I found it difficult to judge her for them. She hadn’t had an easy life and even when she did find her peace, I’m sure her past troubled her right until the end. Deception is Lesley Pearse's 30th book. What an achievement! She's been a favourite of mine since the beginning and I think that Deception is the best of her most recent books. It has what I love about Pearse's books: the tough upbringing, the family dramas, and a thumping good storyline. Mas a verdade é que "Nunca Me Esqueças" é um romance histórico, que cobre um período da vida da inglesa Mary Broad (ou Bryant), uma mulher que ficou famosa pelo facto de, depois de cometer um roubo e ter sido deportada para a Austrália em finais do século XVIII, conseguiu fugir da colónia com os filhos e alguns companheiros, percorrendo cerca de 5.000 km num "pequeno" barco.Remember Me is the title of the true story of Mary Broad, a woman sentenced of deportation by theft to Australia, in a reintegration project founded by England to populate this area. Mary was known as the first person to organise and participate in a well-succeeded escape from the penal colony. In that escape there were her husband, seven men and her two small children besides her. They were able to travel through around 5 000kms on a sailing boat in open sea. The book follows the protagonist since she leaves her parents’ house until the moment of the theft, including the violent boat trip, the horror in Australia, the intricate escape, the death of the children, her husband and people she considered family among other problems. Based on a true story, Remember Me brings Mary Broad vividly to life in this moving story of a women triumphing against overwhelming odds. A primeira vez que vi o livro e li a sinopse, julguei que estava perante um romance cor-de-rosa, mas assim que li que era um romance-histórico e li algumas opiniões, senti-me tentada a dar uma oportunidade ao livro. E ainda bem que o fiz. UK historical fiction sensation Lesley Pearse is in top form with her latest melodrama about a daughter confronted with a truth that leads to her unraveling the past.

Remember Me by Lesley Pearse | 9780141046082 | Booktopia Remember Me by Lesley Pearse | 9780141046082 | Booktopia

She already knows her mother was manipulative at times, vain, very secretive and never spoke of the past. Based on a true story, Mary Broad brings to life the horrors that a somewhat trivial crime could bring about in that period of time. 1786, shy of her twentieth birthday, Mary is sentenced to death by hanging, for the crime of stealing a silk hat. Spared her death sentence, she is sentenced to be shipped to Australia to live out her sentence and be put to work. From sentencing, the journey across the sea and eventually landing on the shore and the colony to work and fight for survival.Alice always knew that her mother had faults and kept secrets but learning this information sets her off on a path to find out more about her life before Ralph. She wants to uncover the whole truth; the good and the bad. Después de un viaje de sesenta y seis días, el grupo llegó a Kupang , en Timor Occidental, en la isla de Timor. Timor estaba entonces bajo el control de los holandeses. Los Bryant y su equipo afirmaron ser sobrevivientes de un naufragio. Más tarde se descubrió que eran condenados británicos, al parecer después de que William se embriagara y confesara en el proceso de jactarse. Para evitar un incidente internacional, fueron enviados de regreso a Gran Bretaña para ser juzgados. After the funeral of her mother, Sally, Alice is approached by a man call Angus Tweedy. He claims to be her father and tells her that he served time in prison for marrying Sally bigamously. What does he expect to get from telling her this now, thirty years on? How can her adored dad Ralph not be her true father? And why did her mother betray her so badly?

Editions of Remember Me by Lesley Pearse - Goodreads

Also the transportation of prisoners is another of her stories in these books dealing with the treatment of prisoners who were sent to Australia to start up settlements. The criminal treatment that was involved with the transportation on the ships was barbaric leaving many prisoners dead or not far from it, with captains paid per head regardless of them being alive or not. The constant shortages of food and corporal punishment meted out was criminal while having to work in very harsh conditions and expected to maintain schedule of works. O livro acompanha a história de Mary Broad, uma jovem que foi condenada a forca por ter roubado um chapéu, mas a qual lhe é dada a oportunidade de ir para a Austrália durante 7 anos. No entanto, onde podemos julgar que a sua vida lhe poderia ser mais fácil, Mary depara-se com muitas dificuldades. For me, Sally's tale was one of harshness, harrow and sorrow. There's little wonder why Sally continually reinvented herself to chase away those unbearable situations she found herself trapped in time and time again. It also becomes quite clear why she also chose to remain a closed book with her children and second husband. I actually preferred Sally's encounters to Alice's, whose were a bit too brief for my liking.

Hobbies

Thank you to @michaeljbooks and Lesley Pearse for this advanced copy of Deception in return for an honest review. This story is cleverly written from Alice’s perspective and as Alice is on her journey of discovery, it switches to that of her mum. There are no massive twists, just a really well thought out plot which is both interesting and compelling. The book maintains a very good balance, offering just the right amount of intensity without overwhelming the reader. As the story reaches its conclusion, it does so in a satisfying yet somewhat anticipated manner. Nonetheless, the journey to that point is fulfilling and rich in emotional resonance. Before starting this book, I didn’t know if I was going to be getting sad vibes, happy vibes or something in between and to be honest, I feel a mix up of all of the emotions after having finished. Following Alice’s journey into her mother’s past felt like I was experiencing all of the surprises along with her. It was certainly a reminder to me that we’re all just humans. We tend to hold our parents to such a high standard when in reality they make mistakes and bad decisions the same as anyone else.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment