276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Moana (Little Golden Books)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I don’t wish to burst too many bubbles right now, but Disney’s Moana is really just a movie. But that’s not to say that there aren’t some similarities between Disney’s Moana and wider beliefs – particularly Polynesian beliefs. One key example is the character, Maui. He’s a heroic figure that can be found throughout many Polynesian myths, legends and stories. Thought to be set within Samoa, the story of Moana centres around a female Pacific Islander (the first central Disney character to ever have this description) who wishes to explore the world by sea. Art of Disney Animation • Castle of Magical Dreams • It's a Small World • Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana Maui’s tattoos. They were personal and meaningful to HIM in the film’s context. HE gave island lands, better air and sky, produced greater quality sun and even provided the dietary staple of coconuts AS GIFTS TO HUMANITY: tattoos showing incredible personal feats of selflessness by the neglected hero missing his lost place in humanity. Trophies and somber memories.

Some say Te Fiti is a personalisa tion of the island of Tahiti, which is also pan Polynesian for “a faraway place”. This to me seems like a fair analysis. This means that children’s costumes associated with Maui have been thought to belittle and trivialise Polynesian beliefs and cultures because the costumes involve tattoos all over the body (as per the character in the movie). 3. Many are confused by the omittance of the Goddess Hina.I believe it’s important to understand other people’s cultures. I love reading travel blogs, watching movies and documentaries about a place and scanning news articles to help me better understand all of the incredible cultures found in every corner of the globe. Now, I don’ t wish to go into too much more detail on the plot as I’m not interested in producing any spoilers. If you have yet to watch Moana and want to know more, well then, you’ll just have to watch it. Thus, any attempt at showcasing different cultures and beliefs will help to dispel any confusion or misunderstanding of other people in the world, right? This is something I search for when travelling: to understand other people and their cultures better. Anyway, one of the reasons why I got into this whole blogging malarkey was for discussions exactly like this one. It’s always interesting hearing other people’s perspectives on things. For instance, your first comment on the use of coconuts – I’d never have looked at this in the same way, but your point is a totally valid one. Which leads me on nicely to the rest of your points – all totally sound arguments. And I love the fact that my article prompted such a passionate response 😉 This is why I’ve chosen to do some research on whether Disney did get the story of Moana right, whether Moana is based on a true story or not, (i.e. what is the “real” story of Moana) and whether the outcome of this should alter our perceptions of the movie. What is the story of Moana?

Related: 60+ Quotes About Hawaii & Proverbs From The Rainbow State What are the critical perceptions of Moana? To be honest, I'm not sure what, exactly, I expected the writing quality to be, but it really was stellar. The story is told in chapter form, with legends from the past intermingled between a few of the chapters. The vocabulary was higher than expected, for sure (turns out, it's a level 6.0), as I rather thought at first that it would be watered down. Boy, was I wrong.If we place our criticisms about the movie to one side just for a moment, this then says to me that there are two key morals that the movie helped to showcase: Three thousand years ago, the greatest sailors in the world voyaged across the vast Pacific, discovering the many islands of Oceania. But then, for a millennium, their voyages stopped, and no one knows why… An awareness of the troubles in their world, an awareness of the potential causes of those troubles, plus their relationship and respect for nature have all been portrayed.

This was Disney’s attempt at countering any racist perceptions of the corporation, so surely it should have been an important project to get right? However, coconuts have been previously attributed to describe Polynesian individuals (in a very negative way). Personally, I think a few slights are either acceptable or even necessary. I’m very sided with “reality is never an insult unless made as such in context.” Perhaps Disney should have settled on just one culture rather than trying to tie them in with one another?material differing ever-so-slightly from the movie. Gives kids a chance to learn reading comprehension and critical analysis. They can compare what they read to what they've seen in the movie and *talk* or *write* about the little differences! It's engaging and encourages interest in ELAR!!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment