276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Time of Death (Tom Thorne Novels)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

uk/landing-page/little-brown-book-group/little-brown-book-group-company-information/">Little, Brown Book Group Limited.

This book is a little different to the previous Billingham books I've read as Thorne and Weeks are not on their own turf so it's more about Weeks relationship with the suspects partner and Thorne doing his own off-the-record investigation. While I enjoyed Time of Death very much, I suspect that I would have liked it even more if I had read it with a knowledge of this well-established series to back it up (this is the thirteenth outing for Thorne). This is the fourth book by the author and is my least favorite till now as it was very slow moving and therefore hard to pick up again. A television series based on the Thorne novels was screened in Autumn 2010, starring David Morrissey as Tom Thorne and a BBC series based on the standalone thrillers IN THE DARK and TIME OF DEATH was shown in 2017. This was a thoroughly satisfying read, one that made me want to go back and read those that I have inexplicably missed earlier on the series.Later in the book Tom’s joined by old friend and pathologist Hendricks whose charismatic presence, it must be said, lifts the novel up a notch. But this one was great with lots of simultaneous stories to attract your attention from the mystery. This is a great example of the strength of the characterisation and plot that this author produces and is reads successfully as stand-alone novel.

If you enjoy police procedural novels with great characterisation then this series is the one for you. The story follows Thorne, and his girlfriend Helen (also a police officer) after they get involved - at her bidding - in a missing persons case up in Warwickshire where Helen grew up. Helen spends a lot of time with Linda helping to support her as the suspect’s wife and I quite liked this angle, which is not one that we often come across in this type of read.Helen is there ostensibly to help an old school friend whose husband is charged with the crimes, and Tom gets nosy and pushes his way into the investigation even though it’s outside his jurisdiction and he’s clearly not particularly welcome. It is always a joy to see a 'new' Tom Thorne on the bookshelves and as ever this lived up to expectations. Time of Death is the 13th mystery in Mark Billingham’s series featuring Detectives Tom Thorne and Helen Weeks.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment