276°
Posted 20 hours ago

If We Were Villains: The Sensational TikTok Book Club pick: M.L. Rio

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Filippa Kosta, the only actor in the troupe to remain close to Oliver after he goes to prison. She goes to work for the conservatory after graduation. Plays The Chameleon. To sum up: This is the secret history, but written better and with less queerbait, and it focusses on Shakespeare not Greek myths. Dark Academia is That Genre, I love it so much and it fuels me. I'm so glad I finally read this, it was truly delicious. Also, I'm talking about my Theory for the end in the last past of this review to stay tuned, folks! On the day Oliver Marks is released from jail, the man who put him there is waiting at the door. Detective Colborne wants to know the truth, and after ten years, Oliver is finally ready to tell it.

The fourth years are assigned King Lear as their spring production. However, as the semester progresses, the cast grows increasingly despondent due to Richard's death. Wren begins to suffer fainting spells, James breaks Oliver's nose during combat practice, and Alex overdoses on drugs but survives. The night of the Lear cast party, James gets drunk and begins acting erratically, only speaking in character as Edmund. The following morning, as Oliver cleans their dorm room, he discovers a bloodstained boat hook hidden in James' mattress. A group of boys at Welton Academy find their lives changing for the better when they get a new English professor named John Keating. If We Were Villains lured me in, like a fish to a hook, by appealing to my dark academia loving heart. Shakespearian aesthetics, academic setting, homoeroticism, a secret society whose members communicate (pretentiously) through literary quotes, characters doing morally dubious things at odd hours, a devastating murder, and M.L. Rio has set the scene for an exhilarating, unsettling, and devastating thriller. In short, I was never going to surface from this story with my emotions intact. alexander vass and colin hylands are in love and happy and yippee idc. Language: English Words: 1,750 Chapters: 1/1 Kudos: 15 Hits: 134 A cellist who flirts with Meredith and is physically beaten by Richard. Allan remains unnamed until the police arrive to investigate Richard’s death, suggesting his relative unimportance to the main characters.i honestly just want to reread the book just so i can find all the easter eggs hidden behind the passages that i didn’t get the first time reading it. i just know that they’re more to be found. James - Oliver's roommate and best friend. He's popular, a great actor, and usually gets the great, tragic hero roles. Oliver Marks (31), is serving a ten year prison sentence for murdering his former theatre school friend, Richard Stirling. Although Oliver’s confession, the case’s primary investigator, Detective Colborne, has always felt Oliver was not the murderer. He pays one final visit to Oliver in jail, asking him to give him the truth now that Colborne is about to retire from the force. Asshole Victim: Richard becomes truly despicable and gets into conflicts with most characters before he's killed.

The most loyal of the fourth-year students.Filippa is grounded and clear-headed and is often the peacekeeper in the group. Filippa becomes romantically involved with Camilo after she graduates from Dellecher. The sky was clear and quiet, stars peering curiously down at us from a wide dome of indigo. The water, too, was still, and I thought, what liars they are, the sky and the water. Still and calm and clear, like everything was fine. It wasn’t fine, and really, it never would be again.” I honestly can feel the pertinence of this group. They really look like real-life people whom you might get acquainted with at some point in life. I love their dynamics as a group, but I have different feelings for each of them. Or: We all physically need more happy James and Oliver. I am rereading the book for like the third time and I just know it will break me all over again, so we'll have to enjoy a slight bit of happiness as long as it's there. ENJOY :D Language: English Words: 1,119 Chapters: 1/1 Comments: 1 Kudos: 19 Hits: 171 this book altered by brain chemistry, crying throwing up, no one talk to me for 7 business days because i need to process this ending 🤧The game Aces is playing is a dangerous one and soon it becomes obvious they are planning something much larger than just high school. Forget about solving all these crimes; the signal triumph here is (spoiler) the heroine’s survival. Meredith - The vixen. Described constantly as this impossibly attractive woman, no man is immune. Every part she has ever played has invoked this sexual aura she seems to have. In conclusion, I am once again appalled that I'm not part of a tight-knit group of morally bankrupt Shakespeare devotees who sport an unhealthy obsession with aesthetics and together try to cover up a murder one of them committed. Where’s MY dark-academia main-character moment?

Niveus Private Academy looks like the perfect school with the perfect students. It seemed idyllic until an anonymous texter calling themselves Aces reveals two students’ dark secrets. A few hours later, Filippa summons Meredith and Oliver to the lake. There Oliver and Meredith discover a battered, broken and seemingly deceased Richard floating in the water. Richard emits a gurgling sound indicating he’s still alive. Frightened and exhausted of Richard’s abuse, the six collectively decide to let him die in the water, assuming that he injured himself while intoxicated. They craft a narrative of likely events for school administration and the police and feel relief when everyone seems to accept their version of events. But guilt erodes their relations with each other and impacts their behavior. Meredith and Oliver continue dating but struggle to be comfortable together under the watchful eye of Richard’s specter. Alexander indulges even more freely in drugs and alcohol. Wren withdraws into herself while James’s behavior becomes erratic. The only character who seems able to hold things together is Filippa. The Thanksgiving holiday offers little respite from their stress. When Oliver’s holiday plans to visit Meredith in New York are derailed by an unexpected visit from James, Meredith is upset that Oliver chooses James over her, a frequent point of contention.set before richard's death and centered around a headcanon i wrote out on my tumblr! <33 Language: English Words: 881 Chapters: 1/1 Comments: 2 Kudos: 5 Hits: 93 I really loved the book, as soon as I started to read, I couldn't stop until I was done. The plot was great and the characters are well written. it's okay to press pause and try again later if you're not liking this one. as a mood reader, i had to be in the perfect mood for this book or it wouldn’t have hit the same. The Romeo & Juliet masque was a success & the school’s emphasis is now focused on the spring play, King Lear. Oliver portrays Edmund’s half-brother, the aristocratic Edgar, while James plays the play’s adversary, Edmund. James begins to embody Edmund’s rage, frequently becoming hostile against Oliver during practise. Oliver finds a burned piece of bloodied cloth in a fireplace and hides it, believing it is evidence related to Richard’s death. Oliver begins to suspect that the death was perpetrated by someone in their organisation.

Fate and Consequence – The story’s characters are passionately committed in Shakespeare’s works which frequently explore themes of fate and the repercussions of one’s choices. Similarly, the narrative delves with the concept of fate and the notion that one’s choices might have far-reaching consequences.

Media Reviews

When James is cast as Macbeth in the yearly Halloween play, Richard is reduced to the part of a spirit. This enrages the ambitious Richard, who becomes angry & bitter. Parallel to the Macbeth sessions, the companions are rehearsing Julius Caesar, with Richard in the title role. Richard’s demeanour during Caesar practise becomes progressively obnoxious. Richard almost drowns James after the Macbeth performance, despite his assertions of innocence. The others save James and chide Richard, but they all agree to keep the incident hidden from their professors.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment