276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Story of Babar: The classic tale of an adventurous elephant that has enchanted generations of readers!

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Bremner, Charles (8 August 2006). "Why Babar the Elephant just can't forget his colonial past". The Times. London . Retrieved 25 August 2010.

I didn't know if I read that right at first, but then I read it a few more times and found out that, no, I did indeed read that right. This children's book is low-key adding incest into the storyline. Now here's the best ever part: I get to garner books from old library collections and barns and garage sales. In 1931, Jean de Brunhoff introduced Babar in Histoire de Babar, and Babar enjoyed immediate success. [1] [10] In 1933, A.A. Milne introduced an English-language version, The Story of Babar, in Britain and the United States. [11] Oh, dear. I'm afraid this is one children's classic that I did not like at all upon reading as an adult. I can appreciate the iconic illustrations and can certainly see why Babar made an enduring character, especially when the books were first published, as probably many children found the antics of an elephant in the city humorous, and dressed in his gentlemanly attire he certainly makes an interesting contrast from the other creatures of the forest. However, I really did not enjoy the story and I don't think it's one I will be keen to share with my children. After Babar's mother is shot and killed by a hunter, he flees the jungle and finds his way to an unspecified big city with no particular characteristics. [5] He is befriended by the Old Lady, who buys him clothes and hires him a tutor. Babar's cousins Celeste and Arthur find him in the big city and help him return to the Elephant realm. Following the death of the King of the Elephants, who had eaten a poisonous mushroom (the illustrations indicate that it is a fly agaric), a council of old elephants approach Babar, saying that as he has "lived among men and learnt much", he would be suitable to become the new King. Babar is crowned King of the Elephants and marries his cousin, Celeste. [6]

Follow us

Despite the presence of these counsellors, Babar's rule seems to be totally independent of any elected body, and completely autocratic. However, his leadership style seems to strive for the overall benefit of his elephant subjects—a form of benevolent dictatorship. First off, I want to know where Babar lives. He runs away from the jungles of Africa to some sort of civilization. Where is said city that looks vaguely European? Because you just aren't going to tell me that Babar made it from Africa to Europe in such a short amount of time. Still, since this is a children's story and they are often fantastical, I was willing to overlook it. Good Lord. I'd hate to spend a day with these people. I don't like hunting. I don't mind guns. But Lord keep me, is it really THAT big of a deal? I mean, really? Enough that you all really sat down and thought about what to say like the instances here?

General Charles de Gaulle famously said that he liked the books so much because Babar gives "a certain idea of France." What do you think is the essential French quality of the books he's referring to? de Bertodano, Helena (2003-09-15). "Elephants and old masters". Daily Telegraph. London . Retrieved 2010-08-26.

Keep in touch

Before his death in 1937, Jean de Brunhoff published six more stories. His son Laurent de Brunhoff, also a writer and illustrator, carried on the series from 1946, beginning with Babar et Le Coquin d'Arthur. [12]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment