276°
Posted 20 hours ago

House London

£17.5£35.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Discover the stories of some of the most breathaking and historic great houses of London, along with their secrets, in this lavishly illustrated compedium.

The London House by Katherine Reay, is a brilliant dual timeline historical fiction story about family secrets, misperception, and misunderstanding, war, lost love, jealousy, resilience, hope, discovering the truth and changing the injustice from the past. House London showcases 50 of the most stylish homes in the capital today - each with a uniquely 'London' feel. This is a story about family secrets and old wounds, and how harmful and destructive they can be even decades later.The lush photography eschews sterile staging in favour of a more intimate, eclectic mix, and the text is an informative and insightful celebration of design’s rightful place at the heart of the domestic realm.

From the surprising interiors of humble terraces to extraordinary conversions showcasing the height of luxury. Including over 120 pubs from across all 33 London boroughs, Public House traces tales of craft, architecture, music, queer activism, black history, comedy, migration, sport and heritage. During World War II, Carolyn's Great Aunt Caro (her namesake) betrayed England as a spy for Germany and defected with a Nazi after falling in love. Caroline, who was named after her Aunt Caroline, was shocked one day when her friend Mat she knew from college told her that her Aunt Caroline had been a Nazi collaborator and had a German lover.Created by some of the best designers, architects and creatives around, this book celebrates the amazing variety and vision that lies behind sometimes quite ordinary facades. There’s still refined modernist rigour, of course, but also experimentation with colour, material, and form, as well as renewed respect for original features.

The entire novel is about finding the real truth about Caro, did she elope with a German and ultimately defect to Germany or is there other part that’s unknown? Her character growth is phenomenal and took me on an emotional roller coaster ride that kept my tummy tied up in knots. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free,” and Caroline Payne desperately wants her family free from the damage perpetuated down the line by her great-aunt Caroline Waite’s untold story. My opinion of the great-aunt did change slightly at the end, but she really wasn't written as the delightful character she was supposed to be. Reading the synopsis, I still determined that I wanted to and was interested in reading London House.These previously unpublished photographs by David Granick capture the streets and waterways of London’s East End in the warm hues of Kodachrome film.

It is important to note that this is Reay's first book with the new Harper Muse imprint, "seeking to illuminate minds and captivate hearts. Finance is provided by PayPal Credit (a trading name of PayPal UK Ltd, Whittaker House, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond-Upon-Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom, TW9 1EH). Mat has uncovered a scandalous secret kept buried for decades: In World War II, Caroline’s British great-aunt betrayed family and country to marry her German lover.It features 29 homes with accompanying text by Sarah Bagner and introductory texts by acclaimed art historian Charles Saumarez Smith and SCP founder Sheridan Coakley.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment