276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Sleeping and the Dead: A Stunning Psychological Thriller From the Author of the Vera Stanhope Crime Series

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I liked part one and three and I would have enjoyed the book way more if it would have been all written from Porteous' point of view.

Soon after they married, Tim was appointed as warden of Hilbre, a tiny tidal island nature reserve in the Dee Estuary. As everyone knows, I'm a Ann Cleeves addict and when I'll retire, I want to be like Vera: living in a cottage on the hill, driving a Defender wearing wellies and with two corgies at the back. It is well written of course, but there are so many characters that I got lost every now and then, not helped by the fact that one even changes names.

Actors at the RSC often put the language into their own words to help them understand what they are saying. It was interesting at first, but then I got caught up in Hannah's drama and lost focus, too busy being baffled at her. She said: "I have never won anything before in my life, so it was a complete shock - but lovely of course.

The point of view switches among the police and their witnesses, between events over forty years of history in small town, coastal England.A detailed police procedural, it has her usual careful narrative and credible characters, as well as her trademark twists and turns and what was to me a completely surprising though, in retrospect, a completely appropriate ending. After trawling through the missing persons files, he comes to the conclusion that the corpse is Michael Grey, an enigmatic and secretive young man who was reported missing by his foster parents in 1972. These lines are all shared lines, in which Lady Macbeth and Macbeth share lines of iambic pentameter and ask each other questions.

This is a good detective story that avoids the stereotypical hard living, hard drinking protagonist so beloved of crime fiction. Discover the joy of reading with us, your trusted source for affordable books that do not compromise on quality. Things get a bit confusing at times since some of the characters are present at the time of both murders but not all and therefore potential suspects. Hannah was infuriating at times and every time I thought there's something to make me like her even a bit, she'd (not) say something or think something that would make me dislike her a little bit more. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands.Some books just don't do it for you, even if you have liked others by the same author and this is one of those for me. The writing's likeable, like good old British crime fiction; I guess this is readable if one is a fan of the author or of crime novels in general. Mt 18:9: ‘And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Ex Library Copy **SHIPPED FROM UK** We believe you will be completely satisfied with our quick and reliable service.Taylor’s Version) [From The Vault] Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version) [From The Vault] Parla (100. After trawling through the missing persons files, he deduces that the corpse is Michael Grey, an enigmatic and secretive young man who was reported missing by his foster parents in 1972. She goes to do this herself, then hurries back to bed with Macbeth as they hear knocking at the door. My hands are of your colour…’ – Lady Macbeth’s crisp, brief statements contrast effectively with Macbeth’s more passionate and imaginative language. I'm guessing, though, that since it was published in 2001 and there hasn't been a follow-up, Cleeves decided against a series.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment