276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Nice House on the Lake 1

£5.125£10.25Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

the intersections of structure, the intersections of body and mind and time and place and space both outer and inner. I realized that as reader I'm more into the distinct clear lines in artistry instead of what readers will see in this particular story. With Something Is Killing the Children and The Department of Truth, James Tynion IV has changed the face of horror in modern comics—now get ready for his most ambitious story yet, alongside his Detective Comics partner Álvaro Martínez Bueno! This is because the humans within it are so close to colliding with their fellow survivors elsewhere.

What makes Nice House such an essential story is not its science-fiction-tinged horror plot—Martinez Bueno's body horror is strangely gorgeous and unparalleled—but rather its unflinching look at complicated human relationships. There are a lot of questions to unravel still, like if their code names and symbols mean anything, what is the house exactly and if the world can be saved, and I suspect it is too early to really “rate” the series but I am having a lot of fun.Based on what Ryan and the others have been through, it would make sense that the inhabitants of the other ecosystems would be struggling similarly. It’s because I have no confidence in Tynion as a storyteller that I feel like this book will turn out to be an unsatisfying comics version of Lost. As the volume continues, we also learn more about Walter, and I think that he really does care about and love each of his friends in his own way.

It becomes a lesson that controlling others never works out positively and Walter finds that under his simulated realities the group’s motivations aren’t as easily directed as he’d hoped. an era of communication breakdown and bodies sick and changing, transforming, and minds seeing through a glass darkly. In both series of his I’ve read now the art does not shirk away from depicting the most horrible things you can image. Having every issue from a different POV it meant I learned a little about each character but not enough to be invested in them.Without knowing the world ended or having high stakes, they don’t feel grateful for the haven he built, which is somehow less satisfactory to him than their revulsion and horror at him in the first volume. until we get to the beginning of the story and see that she already had the respirator due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. I definitely want to continue the series and I'm incredibly intrigued by the premise, and I need to know more about Walter and what is actually happening outside of the lake house/property. Tinion i crtač mu su zasigurno pili do jedno tri izjutra i bacali scenarije za potencijalne stripove egzistencijalnog užasa blaže forme, te je iz takve jedne večeri ovo proizašlo. An expert on competitive gaming and obscure kids shows from the 80's and 90's, John has far too many opinions about Beetleborgs for someone in their thirties.

This is a series where a group of educated, successful adults spend almost all their time yammering on like teenagers.

The ending appears to both wrap up the series while clearly not being the end, so I’m a little confused about whether or not this is indeed where it ends. Overall I wanted to like this more than I did and despite some pretty mind blowing ideas and explanations, I think this is where I’ll drop out of the series while still very eager to read his other works, particularly continuing Something is Killing the Children. The cover focus is on Naya, making the reader think it's going to be her POV chapter, beginning with the usual apocalyptic reminiscence. Another parallel: Tynion's own The Woods series, which now feels like a dry run for whatever is going on in The Nice House on the Lake. Keeping it short and sweet for now, I'll revisit this once the second volume is out and the whole thing's complete, but Nice House is a twisted look at the minds of 12 individuals, one of whom isn't even human.

I’ll save my full review for when the series completely wraps, but this first half is easily the best non-superhero Black Label book to come out. It also never became clear why everyone was friends with Walter, what made him as magnetic as he supposedly was. Do cool time jumps, or leap to other cells of lab rats, introduce us to other Walters more/less sentimental than Walter-proper (and their little cells too).One couple, seeing on tv that the world has ended, decides to relax and watch tv--a nice movie, she says--and just chill; I know, this is satire).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment