276°
Posted 20 hours ago

What Moves The Dead

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, I do understand the hesitancy to make the story longer, as it already clocks in at twice the length of Poe’s original story. Though I did struggle to get into What Moves the Dead at first, I’m so glad I stuck out my initial reservations about extra pronouns, sworn soldiers, and an entirely fictional country. Kingfisher, the award-winning author of The Twisted Ones, comes What Moves the Dead, a gripping and atmospheric retelling of Edgar Allan Poe's classic "The Fall of the House of Usher. Full of zombie-like hares and an extremely disturbing fungus, Kingfisher combines horror with dry humor to create a novella that is utterly unique and impossible to put down.

What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher - Goodreads Editions of What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher - Goodreads

Not to mention the book is filled with some exceptional descriptions of upsetting fungi and great conlang content regarding gender-neutral pronouns. Alongside the dog in The Twisted Ones and the stuffed otter in The Hollow Places, Easton's horse is now one of my favorite fictional animals. This is a story that is impossible to explain without potentially spoiling all of its secrets, but it will definitely make your skin crawl!Diary entries would have been perfect – her account of those early days with this fungal fiend taking her over. The fellowship between characters is wonderful to behold with a subtle humor running under the grim business. Kingfisher keeping the bones of the original story and grafting in her own macabre and uncanny brand of weirdness.

What Moves The Dead (Literature) - TV Tropes What Moves The Dead (Literature) - TV Tropes

Gallacian women, therefore, often join the military to get said rights as well as money, but Alex hints in kan narration that there are some people who just don't identify as women and, in Gallacia, becoming a soldier is the closest thing you can get to changing your gender, as it gives you a legal way to change your pronouns. Once women join the military, they're more soldiers than women and are afforded certain rights they wouldn't have otherwise. Kingfisher has an amazing way with words, particularly when it comes to the macabre, and paints vivid and gruesome images in your brain with her writing. By the end, I was nodding along and willing to launch a crusade against all weak, overbred flocks, prone to scours and fly-strike, crowding out the honest sheep of the world.It Can Think: The Tarn is very intelligent - after all, it's a fungus that has learned to understand such insane concepts as vision and even speech. In Kingfisher’s hands, easily overlooked elements of Poe’s original setting, and previously-underdeveloped characters—the backup vocalists, as it were—are given their own time under the spotlight. As Madeline rises from the mausoleum—alive, undead, or otherwise—the Ushers die together in a macabre embrace, and with them, their ancestral home collapses, hence the double meaning in the tale’s title.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment