276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Light Fantastic: (Discworld Novel 2) (Discworld Novels)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And the puns. Man there are some great puns in here. I had to stop reading for a few minutes because I was laughing so hard. I'm not normally big on puns, but they really worked for me in this book. I won't ruin them for you though, you should read them for yourself. The voice didn't believe in gods, which in Rincewind's book was fair enough, but it didn't believe in people either. However, I will point out that one of the saviors in this story and a wonderful character all on its own, was luggage! I really liked the little guy with his right-action-at-the-right-time interventions and "comments" on certain matters. Thus, this second book in the Discworld series is about the continued adventure of Twoflower, the very first tourist, and Rincewind, the failed wiz(z)ard with only one spell in his head. The Light Fantastic is a 1986 comic fantasy novel by Terry Pratchett, the second of the Discworld series.

Quotes [ edit ] A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls. I can't be talking to a tree. If I was talking to a tree I'd be mad, and I'm not mad, so trees can't talk. It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days before his passing.I'm not a big reader when it comes to books with apocalypse in it looming just around the corner. Too bleak, I say. But this was a purely fun ride that follows with Rincewind's unfortunate adventures. It was a still night, tinted with the promise of dawn. A crescent moon was just setting. Ankh-Morpork, largest city in the lands around the Circle Sea, slept. Rincewind is chased all over the place. He has one of the great 8 spells lodged in his head and it's needed to deal with this red star threat. This book was what I had been wanting from this series and I get why it's so popular now. Pieces, like the retail shop that materializes here and there, remind me of the Hitchhiker's guide. I do tend to ask myself how it would have been if Pratchett would have dealt with more sci-fi concepts instead of focusing on fantasy and society, and the whole multi dimension idea gives a tiny glimpse at what could have been. I´ll keep waiting for an author who might combine the stellar writing with cosmic ideas to form galactic novels of universal dimensions, but, realist that I am, I fear it might not be in my lifetime, if ever. Pratchett was an ingenious, exceptional phenomenon and possibly groups of writers could collaboratively create something close to it with the help of the audience and proofreaders participating in the process, but one woman/man alone? Forget it.

Decidí darle una segunda oportunidad al Mundodisco, porque los fans de Pratchett me han comentado que la saga lo merece, no porque tenga algún problema obsesivo compulsivo con dejar cosas sin terminar...y ¡Wau! las diferencias entre El color de la magia y La luz fantástica son abismales, casi todos los problemas que tuve con el primer libro se resuelven acá, este si me pareció gracioso, si es concluyente y... resuelve una incógnita del primer libro que me molestaba bastante Rincewind, a pesar de ser un mago bastante simplón y no hacer magia, sobrevive a toda la serie de eventos desafortunados que se le ha presentado, pues hay una razón para ello. when a recent edition of Playbeing magazine headlined an article with the words 'When you are tired of Ursa Minor Beta you are tired of life', the suicide rate there quadrupled overnight." How can I not resist someone like him? I can't! He's so good-hearted, it either made you despise how he's so insufferably annoying at that or... you find him irresistible. It is the latter for me.

Twoflower and Rincewind part company as Twoflower decides to return home, leaving the Luggage with Rincewind as a parting gift. Cohen and Bethan also leave to get married. Rincewind decides to re-enroll in the university, believing that with the spell out of his head, he will finally be able to learn magic. I'm still very much enjoying these early Pratchett books, especially in mind that I'll be seeing a *lot* more of these folks in the near future. And even if I'll mainly be focused on folks I haven't seen yet, anyway, I'm still enjoying what may as well be an overview primer of the whole Discworld universe. In The Colour of Magic, Rincewind was last seen (read?) falling off the rim of the world. Well, he landed safely on his arse. Thank goodness or he couldn't be much use if he's dead.So what is all the fuss about? Our heroes Rincewind and Twoflower go on an adventure to save the world, or try to, or accidentally end up in all the right places, or something.

I’m glad I didn’t give up on this series, I thought book one was overrated but after reading book two, it’s safe to say that though this isn’t your regular fantasy book it is a great one. In this one you get the introduction of the Librarian, Death's daughter Ysabell, Cohen the Barbarian and the beginnings of the more nuanced character of Death himself. This quote from Death regarding the rampant stupidity of the Star cultists could easily have come from a much later book: NOT LIKE THIS. THE DEATH OF THE WARRIOR OR THE OLD MAN OR THE LITTLE CHILD, THIS I UNDERSTAND, AND I TAKE AWAY THE PAIN AND END THE SUFFERING. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS DEATH-OF-THE-MIND.All-in-all, it's the first inklings of the strong character work, social commentary and razor sharp humor that have made Pratchett a household name. In fact, as the great dark shape drifts past like an endless tortoiseshell hairbrush, the results of the latest effort are just coming into view.c) you don't try to force open its lid apart to see what treasure is inside (there are usually none). No. I don't get about much," said the tree. "Fairly boring life, I imagine," said Rincewind. "I wouldn't know. I've never been anything else," said the tree. Rincewind looked at it closely. It seemed pretty much like every other tree he'd seen. "Are you magical?" he said. "No one's ever said," said the tree, "I suppose so." Rincewind thought: I can't be talking to a tree. If I was talking to a tree I'd be mad, and I'm not mad, so trees can't talk. "Goodbye," he said firmly. "Hey, don't go," the tree began, and then realized the hopelessness of it all. It watched him stagger off through the bushes, and settled down to feeling the sun on its leaves, the slurp and gurgle of the water in its roots, and the very ebb and flow of its sap in response to the natural tug of the sun and moon. Boring, it thought. What a strange thing to say. Trees can be bored, of course, beetles do it all the time, but I don't think that was what he was trying to mean. And: can you actually be anything else?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment