276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Flying [Vinyl]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Retro originally started out specializing in vintage vinyl records, but have since branched out. Wax and Stamp are inspired by how record stores used to be — before the internet — when much of the music we discovered came through chance or a recommendation from store staff.

We want to keep pushing the boundaries of how people think about music, about the format and what’s out there. Everything’s become far too watered-down in the mainstream and as we grow we’re never going to lose the ethos of what we’re about – it’s our community against the world. Before Flying Vinyl started I was working, ironically, in digital marketing in the music industry. I was becoming increasingly frustrated, I was one of those people who thought that with the advent of digital and social media there would be this great democratisation in the way music was listened too and consumed and yet some four or five years later nothing had really changed. I did a complete U-turn because we weren’t actually connecting people with new music in a way I’d hoped. The reality was that there was no genuine democratisation as such, we’d simply created a system that replicated the old system, a world where it was sadly once again still the case of those with the biggest budget were the ones who prospered in the music world. You may not know Purdie by name, but you’ll have heard him on countless records (over 3,000 or so…) from Nina Simone to James Brown, Rolling Stones to Gil Scott-Heron (not to mention the samples). Soul Is… was originally released in 1972, and features cuts of Aretha Franklin’s ‘Daydreaming’, and Marvin Gaye’s ‘What’s Going On’ alongside Purdie originals. Soul Jazz revists its independent hip-hop, electro and disco rap series Boombox for a new limited box set instalment of 5×7″s. This edition includes jams and party starters from 1979-1982 by Lady B, Bransam, Manujhoti, TJ Swann, PeeWee Mel and Barry B. The Great Escape’s probably our favourite festival of the season, to be honest. We went last year and were involved in some of the panel discussion stuff and it’s always great for us because of the focus on new music and how many of our artists are invited to play each year. We want to do more stage curation and if it’s something The Great Escape want to do collaboratively with us, we’re game.There’s never a bad moment to add this post-punk hallucination to your record collection. Originally released on Island Records in 1979, it marked a cheery departure for Vega and Rev, who channeled their inner Lou Reed to create something unexpected and utterly timeless. Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge. I love Brighton, it’s one of those places that’s really exciting culturally. Before Flying Vinyl it was a town I ended up in a lot because it’s always had a good, if not a bit insular, music scene. In the last few years it’s felt more like a hub that’s leading a lot of bands from the town into national and international success. Also having BIMM there has helped, so a lot of bands have connections to Brighton even if they weren’t born there. While based in London and working with artists from around the world, Brighton bands have been represented in Flying Vinyl’s boxes since the very beginning, accounting for a notable 1 in 10 of its releases so far. We speak to founder Craig Evans and profile the many local bands he’s slapped on wax. Sonically, this album, a no-skips body of work, isn’t like anything you’ve heard before. It sits masterfully in this samespace of excitement, self-exploration and self-assertion that Jorja does. Compromised of deep, thumping drums,racing basslines, irresistible hooks and distinctive beats, ‘falling or flying’ runs at the same pace that Jorja’s minddoes. ‘I don't slow down enough’ she says. ‘This album is like my brain. There’s always so much going on but eachsong is definitely a standstill moment.’

In August 1961, Surrealist icon and spectacle creator Salvador Dalí paid a visit to the Teator La Fenice in Venice. Label Decca were on hand to capture the affair, appropriately named Dalí in Venice. The LP features an interview with Dalí as well as a live recording of him creating his Hommage to Venice painting. Of the many British voices in music today, Jorja is among the most commanding, writing at a pitch of intensity andurgency that few can match. Also, we’re making strides internationally now as well. I want us to get to a point where some great undiscovered talent can be featured by Flying Vinyl and then have a big enough fanbase in Europe and North America to go and play shows there. That may seem like a really big goal, but honestly many people thought this entire company was too big of a goal and I think we can keep achieving great things because of our supporters getting behind what we’re doing. Guadeloupe zouk masters Kassav have their 1979 debut reissued for the first time in yonks. A record that helped lay the foundations for the whole genre, and features leftfield DJ favourite ‘Love And Ka Dance’. These days, The Retro team works with independent record stores to collect a huge variety of records spanning decades and genres.Brighton acts made it into the box three times in as many months when the joyful Dream Wife scored their debut vinyl release in May’s box. The double-punch of ‘Hey Heartbreaker’ and ‘Lolita’ had already appeared on their cassette-only EP for Cannibal Hymns but got another boost on 12” later that summer. Now London-based, Dream Wife’s profile continues to rise, beginning the year by appearing on the NME 100 new music list while criss-crossing the country on DIY magazine’s Hello 2017 tour.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment